More on the McLaughlin Fake Poll [UPDATED]

Sources close to both Allen Buckley and the Libertarian Party are adamant that it is neither Buckley or the Party stealing or manufacturing McLaughlin & Associates letterhead to fake a polling memo.

That leaves the Democrats. Interestingly, the leaker went out of their way to build up McLaughlin & Associates relations with the NRSC to give their poll story legitimacy.

I’m kind of surprised Bookman’s post reads like it gives the poll legitimacy because of all that. [Ed. — Griftdrift says he doesn’t read it that way and I’m biased by being friends with Jim and John, so I’ll assume he is right and I am wrong.] Not only being a friend of Jim and John McLaughlin, but also having used them for all my polling over the past decade or so, this memo clearly is not a McLaughlin memo for a number of stylistic reasons that would make this memo different from every other McLaughlin poll memo.

With the Libertarians out of the running, that leaves the Democrats and a possible criminal investigation if the McLaughlin boys want to pursue it.

[UPDATE:] BTW, there are several ways to tell this is really a fake memo. Some of them I don’t think it is appropriate to talk about. But here’s one I can talk about: the memo mentions a contract being signed. McLaughlin & Associates has never made anyone sign a contract to my knowledge.

1. griftdrift says:

“I’m kind of surprised Bookman’s post reads like it gives the poll legitimacy because of all that.”

Nice try though.

2. Common Sense says:

“That leaves the Democrats”

Whoever did this was likely an amature trying to pretend they are a pro.

I doubt anyone directly working for Martin, Buckley, or Chambliss did this.

That being said, why is it that your “sources” pushback means anything besides that you talk to Libertarians more than dems?

3. Keyser Soze says:

“Erick there’s enough alledgedlys and purportedlys in Bookman’s piece to choke a horse. He even included McLaughlin’s strong denial.”

Right, that’s the problem with journalism these days. In the past, a story wouldn’t run unless it is proven to be factually correct. Now a story is free to be printed provided that the writer cover himself with the ‘alledgedlys and purportedlys.’

4. Doug Deal says:

It seems pretty clear it was someone supporting Martin. Libertarians normally vote more Republican then Democrat, so if it makes it to a runoff, Saxby will win under normal circumstances.

This fraud was perpetrated in order to try to get the Libertarians to react negatively against the Republicans so they will be more likely to go their way in the runoff. The goals are so transparent as to be ridiculous.

However, this does not mean that it had to be someone officially from the Martin campaign, just someone interested in helping it out.

5. EngineerAU says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but weren’t you last week jumping up and down having a good time on the Ashley Todd bandwagon? Seems like now would be a good time to settle down and start waiting for facts before you ruin your reputation.

6. atlantaman says:

If McCain had picked Sonny Perdue as his running mate none of this would be happening. Georgia would not be in play for Obama, therefore it would not be in play for Martin. The money the RNSC is diverting to defend Saxby’s turf, could have been used in other Senatorial battles. So one could say the entire balance of power in the US Senate hangs on the fact Sonny Perdue was not picked for VP.

7. DoubleDawg3 says:

If McCain had picked Sonny, I KNOW that I would have voted for Obama…and Martin too probably, just to stick it to the GOP for picking Sonny as VP!!! (Coming from a guy that voted for both McCain & Saxby).