The Master Race Baiter Gets Involved

Robert Brown himself, master race baiter in Georgia, has weighed in on Zach Johnson’s email, making a mountain out of a mole hill.

As we noted on Friday, Zach Johnson, a campaign aid to Cecil Staton, sent out an email asking if there would be security measures in the event of an Obama loss, given that he thought there might be riots.

Naturally Zach is on to something. We all know half of America will burn if Obama loses, see e.g. O.J. Simpson verdict, Rodney King verdict, major sports team wins throughout America, etc.

It’s gonna happen if he loses. And there will probably be disruptions if he wins. It’s a fact that Robert Brown doesn’t like much.

Anyway, Zach was very clear in his conversations that this was all him. In fact, Cecil Staton is out of the country. In any event, Robert Brown sent out this press release:

Senate Democratic leader Robert Brown today denounced the call for increased preparations for “potential security issues” in Macon on Election Day.

The call was made by Zach Johnson, aide to republican state Senator Cecil Staton, in an e-mail to Macon Mayor Robert Reichert.

Johnson stated, “following the election of Mayor Jack Ellis downtown Macon faced substantial celebratory damage” and “the city’s recent crime issues,” as reasons for increasing security on election day. “I am not aware of any celebratory damage that occurred on the day of Mayor Ellis’ election,” Brown said. “There is absolutely no correlation between participants in recent thug activities and participants in voter mobilization. This thinly veiled xenophobia unnecessarily obstructs civil political discourse.”

Every election we see some effort by republicans to suggest that those who don’t vote for them must somehow be dangerous,” Brown said. “This is lifted from the Willie Horton chapter of Lee Atwater’s playbook, as reflected in attempts to brand Obama as a terrorist.”

“I hope Johnson’s comments are more a reflection of republican frustration with the failing presidential campaign Senator McCain is running rather than the first play in a voter suppression game,” Brown said.

It is great to see he remembers Lee Atwater. What a rock star that guy was!

Anyway, my friend Amanda Carpenter reports today that it was a legit part of John Kerry’s playbook in 2004 to pre-emptively scream “voter supression”, etc.

A nine-page section of 66-page 2004 Kerry Edwards Colorado state Election Day Manual titled “Minority Voter Intimidation” begins: “Over the past twenty years, there have been repeated efforts by the Republican party and Republican Party candidates to harass and intimidate minority voters in an effort to reduce the number of African-American and/or Latino voters.” The manual then instructs Democrats how to look for minority voter intimidation tactics and how to publicize it to the media with special tactics designed for mainstream and specialty press.

. . . .

“If no signs of intimidation techniques have emerged yet, launch a ‘pre-emptive strike.’” The manual said this should be done by placing stories in mainstream and specialty press “in which minority leadership expresses concern about the threat of intimidation tactics” and “prime minority leadership to discuss the issue in the media; provide talking points.”

So Robert Brown is just doing as instructed — pre-emptively playing the race card. And if there is destructive behavior on November 4th because of a loss or win, we’ll all remember and blame Robert Brown accordingly. We’ll post his personal contact information so you can file your insurance claims with him.

1. John Konop says:

Erick,

Is winning more important than your soul?

WIKI-Shortly before his death from a brain tumor, Atwater said he had converted to Catholicism, through the help of Fr. John Hardon, S.J.,[10] and, in an act of repentance, Atwater issued a number of public and written letters to individuals to whom he had been opposed during his political career, including Dukakis. In a letter to Tom Turnipseed dated June 28, 1990, he stated, “It is very important to me that I let you know that out of everything that has happened in my career, one of the low points remains the so-called ‘jumper cable’ episode,” adding, “my illness has taught me something about the nature of humanity, love, brotherhood and relationships that I never understood, and probably never would have. So, from that standpoint, there is some truth and good in everything.”[11]
    In a February 1991 article for Life Magazine, Atwater wrote:

My illness helped me to see that what was missing in society is what was missing in me: a little heart, a lot of brotherhood. The ’80s were about acquiring — acquiring wealth, power, prestige. I know. I acquired more wealth, power, and prestige than most. But you can acquire all you want and still feel empty. What power wouldn’t I trade for a little more time with my family? What price wouldn’t I pay for an evening with friends? It took a deadly illness to put me eye to eye with that truth, but it is a truth that the country, caught up in its ruthless ambitions and moral decay, can learn on my dime. I don’t know who will lead us through the ’90s, but they must be made to speak to this spiritual vacuum at the heart of American society, this tumor of the soul.

2. Progressive Dem says:

Please note the Republican was the first to play the race card in Macon (calling for increased security and raising the spector of a riot). And then Erick picks up and waves the bloody flag. Both are pointless acts of desparation. And wtf does a 2004 Kerry campaign manual from Colorado have to do with Georgia? Tenuous logic using selective quotes from a 200 page document.

3. Erick says:

John, Atwater was a rock star.

PD: what does one have to do with the other? They’re just using recycled tactics – playing the race card.

4. leantothemiddle says:

There was no problem in Macon the night Ellis was elected. And since Zach is so young, someone must have told him that there was damage. I wonder who.
    The email was stupid and based on an urban legend. But of course, Erick can’t admit that.

5. Bill Simon says:

“Brown said. “There is absolutely no correlation between participants in recent thug activities and participants in voter mobilization. This thinly veiled xenophobia unnecessarily obstructs civil political discourse.””

I don’t think Brown authored this himself…sounds more like it came from a William Ayers radical…

6. Bill Simon says:

Rugby,

Apparently you missed the teensy-weensy disclosure from that article you linked:

” (Sure, our methodology suffered from an extraordinarily low sample size — limited to four white supremacists and one black nationalist — but just because it wouldn’t fly with Gallup doesn’t mean there ain’t a kernel of truth in there.)”

7. John Konop says:

Biil

Relax it will be ok. If we have a black President named Obama he will not force you to marry a gay black guy. After the Bush years it would be rather hypercritical to complain.

If the Dems get drunk with power like the GOP it will change back quickly. And hopefully the GOP will have it together.

8. rugby fan says:

And I actually enjoy the part about unapologetic bigots joining the Republican Party, but that’s just me.

Seriously Icarus, why do you routinely fail to mention what the current GOP was built upon, but dwell on a 40 year old version of the Democratic Party?

9. Icarus says:

“If the Dems get drunk with power…”

IF?

Rugby,

I do not share your opinion that the current GOP was “built upon” racism. We’ve got our share of bigots. I can admit that. We don’t revel in them. And I think you’ve seen in my comments, I don’t tolerate them too well, either.

What I continue to find amusing is that a lot of Dems like to try and pretend this is only a GOP problem, while ignoring the John Murtha’s in their midst. Just like Yankee lawmakers like to pass things like voting rights laws that don’t apply to their states, so they can keep drawing districts along their own packing preferences, while continuing to point to the one region of the country that is probably the most honest and open about racial issues as “the problem”.