It all comes down to a theory of mine

LOL

Some students burst into tears when a high school biology teacher told them they’d be studying evolution. Another teacher said some students repeatedly screamed “no” when he began talking about it.

Other teachers said students demanded to know whether they pray and questioned why they had to learn about evolution if it was just a theory.

About 60 public high school teachers from the Atlanta area were at Emory University last week, swapping stories about the challenges they face when teaching evolution.

My theory is that the students are just taking advantage of the situation.

1. heroV says:

These students should look to themselves if they want proof of the theory. Their peers have evolved, and they have not.

2. Game Fan says:

If they don’t want to study the theory of evolution they shouldn’t be in science class. That’s like showing up at Sonny’s Barbequec and screaming for a latte’ and a cheese danish.

3. Bucky Plyler says:

Usually, the reverse of this news article is the case. Teachers are not given resistance for teaching evolution.

Particularly in universities, teachers are required to believe & teach evolution in order to be employed.

Where is the “science” behind that?

4. BubbaRich says:

Bucky:

I assume you mean science teachers. They’re also required to believe and teach that gravity pulls things down towards earth, and the earth orbits the sun. WHERE’S THE SCIENCE BEHIND THAT?

Math teachers are required to have the close-minded “understanding” that 2 + 2 = 4. That’s even at the grade school level! Where’s the freedom for local schools to determine what to teach?

5. StevePerkins says:

I’m was born in Atlanta, and live here now… but I went to high school is DEEP south Georgia, where acceptance of evolution really is a minority position. Even there, I didn’t see any stuff like this.

My science teacher (an assist. football coach who was required to teach SOMETHING) basically just said, “I don’t really believe this, and you don’t have to either, but here’s the theory…”. That was that. A couple of us mildly groaned that our science teacher didn’t believe in evolution. A couple of people groaned that we had to learn about evolution. About 90% of the class didn’t care one way or the other, and was too busy passing notes and cutting up.

I think this issue is mostly parents arguing with parents, using their kids as pawns. I’m not convinced that they kids care all that much (we didn’t when I was a kid).

6. Bucky Plyler says:

Hey BubbaRich. Sounds like you’re intolerant of anyone who does not agree with many aspects of evolutionary thinking or science as you term it.

It’s not as concrete as the arguements you are making. Have you ever researched scientists who disagree?

7. BubbaRich says:

I am fairly intolerant of people who think that gravity doesn’t pull down towards earth, or people who teach that humans aren’t related to other primates.

I haven’t made an argument. Nor do I usually research scientists. I’ve researched the science itself, though, and my work involves the obvious evolutionary relationships in the neurons between humans and many other animals, including crawdads.