Fact Checking Saxby

During last night’s debate, Sen. Saxby Chambliss said that he went against the Bush Administration on immigration. Really? That’s not how I remember it.

I write this as a supporter of immigration, though not of this particular bill, but the statement is misleading. Chambliss supported the McCain-Kennedy immigration legislation, which was pushed by the Bush Administration. He flippantly dismissed criticism of the bill and was booed at the 2007 Georgia Republican Party Convention because of his support of it.

Russ Spencer, the moderator of the debate, pointed out that Chambliss had voted with the Bush Administration 92% of the time. Chambliss’ response was pathetic to say the least. He said, “If you look at that 92%, I don’t know that President Bush has ever voted. So when you say I voted with him, that’s really not right.”

That is an absurd response to a legitimate question. Sen. Chambliss should stop listening to Republican radio and answer the damn question.

You voted with the position of the Bush Administration 92% of the time. Seriously, this shtick, which can only been viewed as an attempt to run away from the big government record of the Bush Administration, is not going to fool voters.

Disclosure: Jason Pye is on staff with Bob Barr 2008 and is a member of the Libertarian Party of Georgia Executive Committee.

1. Chris says:

And the Democrat controlled congress added a bazillion poison pill amendments. Even I opposed the bill that finally went to a vote.

2. atlantaman says:

“It is true that he voted against the plan, but only after a protests against him and thousands of phone calls to his Washington and constituents offices.”

You state this as if it’s a bad thing when a Congressman listens to the responses of his constituents.

3. Jason Pye says:

Didn’t seem to work on the rescue bailout.

4. I don’t think arguing that Saxby Chambliss supports big government is very effective when his only opponent is Jim Martin.

If Buckley was polling at 30-40% and the other candidates were in the same range then maybe. When it comes down to it, you have one big government guy and another big government guy. Maybe you can scare Saxby by pushing him into a runoff, but Martin is going to be difficult to remove in six years and he surely will vote for big government.

It’s like asking which is worse, a lethal injection in the right arm or the left arm. Either way, bad outcomes.

5. Jason Pye says:

[Martin] surely will vote for big government.

And Saxby Chambliss hasn’t? At least Martin will vote my way on the civil liberties issues that I’m concerned with. Chambliss won’t. That is the deciding factor for me in a runoff.

6. Game Fan says:

Me:
    Always opposed to illegal immigration. (that rule of law thing)
    always against real ID (got a thing against big brother)
    Why all the cognitive dissonance among the Republicans? Corporate interests. It’s kinda frustrating actually.

7. Jason Pye says:

Probably more of a xenophobia thing, considering we’re a nation of immigrants. The Constitution has been around a very long time. I don’t remember reading where our Founding Fathers wanted a wall built to keep out new immigrants from the Old World.

I don’t want to turn this into a thread about immigration policy, especially because I disagree with my candidate, Allen Buckley, on the issue.

8. I understand your stance. My point is, I do not see the validity of attacking Saxby on a position his opponent holds as well.

Again, I understand your stance – but I’m not sure your stance is equivalent to that of most voters in the state. I could be wrong on that though.

Personally I say kick them all out of the race.

9. You mean we’ll know in December.

By your stance, I meant voting for Martin on his stance of civil liberties vs. Saxby’s support of Patriot Act/etc. Which I’m not sure the polls are indicative of anyway. I think Saxby is mostly feeling bailout blues.

10. atlantaman says:

I’d agree with you that there is nothing in the Constitution about keeping immigrants out, but you know there is nothing about “getting a bunch of freebies once you cross the border” either.

If you put a sign on your front lawn stating you’ve got food and loads of money sitting in your home, you probably want to lock the door.

11. Game Fan says:

Jason
    That’s the reason Libertarians are stuck. Too many pie-in-the-sky folks who haven’t studied American interests in detail and who use derogatory adjectives as a substitute for real debate.

12. atlantaman says:

I’ll give Martin credit. Due to Obama and hammering on the bailout he’s gotten within striking distance of Saxby, without anyone noticing he’s an extreme left-wing liberal. He’s no Richard Russell or Sam Nunn – a member of the Nan Orrick / Vincent Fort wing of the GA Dems.

13. Jason Pye says:

Martin’s a liberal. I’ll give you that. But extreme? I don’t think so. Cynthia McKinney is extreme, Barney Frank is extreme.

I don’t think Martin is that far out there.

14. Game Fan says:

Jason
    I suppose we could debate issues on another thread If you ever do this. Anyway: Patriot act, prescription drugs, retroactive immunity for telecoms…

15. atlantaman says:

Jason-

If Martin is essentially voting for the same agenda as McKinney or Frank, but behaves like a polite accountant, he receives a free pass on the extreme label? It’s the quiet sneaky ones we have to worry about.

16. johnmartinforafreegeorgia says:

@Jason

I agree Saxby has had some lapses in judgment, but would you really want to replace him with someone like Buckley?

Last night Buckley told a group at a forum in Doraville that he wanted to close all of the foreign military bases, cut thirty percent from the Defense Budget, and use “James Bond” like figures with chemical weapons in an envelope as our foreign intelligence group.

Now, I don’t know about you, but that is either A) really naive, or B) dangerous as hell.

Can the US afford to have someone like this in the Senate? Does Georgia need another Cynthia McKinneyesque person representing them?

A libertarian in the Senate will be completely marginalized, assigned to do nothing committees (some would argue that all of them are), and Georgia would only have one strong Senator instead of the two that we have.

Being a red state in what looks to be a blue election we are going to be further pushed aside by the blue Congress and (God forbid) a blue POTUS. The next round of BRAC is essential to the economy of this state, as well as military spending (Lockheed, and all of the smaller defense contractor we have here). Buckley will have no standing with this type of congress, and will hurt more Georgian’s than any of his lofty idea might help.

We do not need to cut off our nose just to spite our face.

17. Dawgfan says:

Jason

One of the things I’ve noticed in your posts regarding this race is all you do is try to get people to vote against Saxby. I’ll grant you Buckley is a buffoon, but I don’t think you’ve ever given anyone a reason to vote for him.

Everyone knows the libertarian candidate will lose. There is no question about that. All you want to do is take out Saxby for your own good not that of the people of Georgia.

Regrettably, many so called “conservatives” are falling into your trap

18. Jason Pye says:

I absolutely agree with Buckley on that. We need to decrease our presence around the world. It is one thing that directs so much anger towards the United States.

The Constitution provides for national defense, not international offense. We need to bring whatever troops we have stationed overseas home.

19. Jason Pye says:

There are plenty of reasons to vote for him. He is the only candidate talking about the danger our entitlements represent to the economy. He is the only candidate calling for tax cuts and spending cuts.

Those are two good reasons to vote for him.

I am simply calling Chambliss for what I see him. A big government Republican who has done nothing but lie to Georgians during this campaign.

20. Dawgfan says:

And Martin one of the two candidates that actually have a chance of winning is going to oppose these entitlement?

21. Jason Pye says:

What is naive is not considering the unintended consequences of an aggressive foreign policy. They do not just effect relations with other nations, but may also have an impact on the economy.

One of the reasons we are now $10 trillion debt is because of a very poorly conceived war in a country we had no business conducting in the first place.

22. Jason Pye says:

Not a good argument considering that Chambliss has voted to add $9 trillion in unfunded liabilities to Medicare.

I don’t like Martin, but given the choice. Martin is better on civil liberties.

23. IndyInjun says:

Saxby has robbed every Georgian of their futures and doled it out to Wall Street crooks, while his son is in on the hot action.

He has stabbed conservatives in the state in the back more times than can be counted.

All of the hullabaloo over the Dems getting that 60 vote majority as a reason to keep Saxby up there is pure nonsense.

His vote is ALWAYS for sale to the highest bidder.

24. Dawgfan says:

I kind of understand the civil liberties argument. I don’t agree with it, but I understand it. The bottom line is this should Saxby lose the Democrats will probably have a filibuster proof majority. I just can’t see that as being a good thing if you are concerned about either deficit spending, entitlements, or anything conservative. Re-elect Saxby and he will have looked into the abyss, and hopefully mend his ways. Besides it damn hard to get someone elected and six years is a long time. Maybe not the purest of reasons, but I not going to be one of these dumbasses that will protest vote for Buckley and then smugly sit back and watch the country go to hell and pat myself on the back about how ideologically pure I am.

25. Jason Pye says:

Yeah, after all, you’re one of the dumbasses that voted for Chambliss in 2002 and watched the country go to hell.

I didn’t vote for Chambliss in 2002 because I didn’t trust him then. I’m not going to vote for him in 2008 because he has confirmed my initial feelings.

If he winds up in a runoff or loses the election, Chamblis can blame himself. Republican can bitch and whine as much as they want for the next six year, but they only have themselves to blame.

26. IndyInjun says:

Dawgfan – Rewarding a traitor like Saxby Chambliss with another term is a lot worse than the Dems temporary political advantage.

This discusssion is proof positive that Republicans put principles and truth dead last to partisan loyalty.

This is why 2008 means the death of the GOP as a national party, after the GOP ranks stupidly paid no heed to the 2006 wipe-out.

The GOP will be a party relegated to only the South.

Deservedly so.

27. Dawgfan says:

Indy you’re an F-ing idiot! Think before you call someone a traitor. Sorry, people but politics is about the possible not the perfect.

The GOP has been written off plenty of times. It like the south will rise again.

28. IndyInjun says:

It is POSSIBLE to influence Martin.

Saxby has proven to be a traitor with his votes.

As for the GOP, I became a Republican in those dark days when the GOP only had 35 Senate seats or so and similar woeful numbers in the House.

I suppose y’all would like to be rid of me just like the National Review GOP GOONS want to be rid of our great Peggy Noonan, who thinks y’all’s pathetic party deserves to be wiped out.

Peggy and I want to save the GOP from the sewer into which you have plunged it.