Keep moving, nothing to see here.

I know this will come as a shock to some of my Democratic friends, but yes, voter fraud is possible right here in Georgia. Maybe Eric Johnson was on to something?

ALBANY, GA (WALB) – State election officials are launching their own investigation into the handling of a mentally challenged man’s vote.

Secretary of State Karen Handle’s office contacted WALB Thursday to tell us they asked the Office of Inspector General to investigate Jack Justice’s voting experience.

Wednesday, the Albany Area Community Service Board which oversees Primus Industries said they will bring in an external agency to investigate allegations made by Justice.

He told his family that an aide from Primus took him and five other mentally challenged clients to vote and forced them to vote for Barack Obama. Justice says he told the aide he wanted to vote for John McCain, but was overridden.

1. jkga says:

Other than prosecution of the aide, which is obviously called for if the allegations are substantiated, can anyone propose a good safeguard against this type of voter fraud?

My understanding is that mentally challenged citizens have the right to assistance while voting. It is tough to come up with a foolproof way to make sure that they are able to follow the directions so as to vote according to their wishes and also guarantee the confidentiality of their votes. Any suggestions?

2. Old Vet says:

I have yet to see any evidence of “widespread voting fraud.” In any system as large and involving as many people as voter registration, you can usually find isolated incidents. It seems obvious that the Republican party’s own positions have narrowed their base to the point that, demographically, they are about to be outnumbered. Rather than broaden their base, they have chosen to try to disenfranchise voters more likely to vote Democratic – a losing strategy. As a personal example, I do not consider myself a Democrat, but as I am not a Christian there is no place for me in the Republican fold, and I will never vote for the party of Sadie Fields and Pat Robertson. I truly wish there were a viable third party for the rest of us.

3. Doug Deal says:

Personally, I think voter fraud is just about on the same level as treason. People do not view things like perjury, voter fraud and other actions that attack the very root of the workings of our government seriously enough.

4. jkga says:

Doug –

I agree that to the extent that it occurs, voting fraud is extremely serious. Equally serious are various forms of voter intimidation, misinformation, and suppression.

What I would ask is that new anti-fraud measures should be scrutinized to make sure they don’t lead to an imbalance in the legitimate vote tally (due to disparate impacts on access to the vote based on economic circumstances, geographic location, age, etc.) that is greater than the problem of fraud they are meant to prevent. We shouldn’t apply a fix to a problem that is worse than the problem itself. Would you agree?

5. Doug Deal says:

What do you mean by “voter intimidation”, “misinformation”, and “supression”. Unlike voter fraud, which has a clear meaning, those terms are quite nebulous, so I cannot tell you my opinion of what you mean.

6. Bill Simon says:

Doug,

Next JK will be claiming it is intimidating to show photo ID. Apparently their REAL goal is to make under-age alochol purchases more prevalent.

7. atlantaman says:

I’ve heard an amazing amount of whinning about how difficult it is, due to economic circumstances, geography, age, to produce a photo ID and I can’t help but LMAO. Really folks, producing a photo ID is a huge burden, give me a break.

The irony is the Dems keep trying to bring lawsuits, including Roy Barnes, but they keep getting thrown out because the plaintiff either had the right to vote or it would have been easy for her to acquire a photo ID. They haven’t been able to find a single person in the state of GA and yet you’ve still got people out there characterizing it as if it were an incredible burden or intimidation. These cases are being thrown out after the litigants went forum shopping.

My favorite stock cross-examination question is, “Well Ms. Sympathetic figure, if you were able to get here for the hearing today, how difficult is it to go next door and get a free photo ID?”

I hope the Dems keep pursuing this issue, because your average commonsense Georgian is not going to view the act of reaching into their wallet and pulling out an ID as overly burdensome.

8. jkga says:

You’ve kind of proven the other side of the case, atlantaman; if there were someone who was affected, that person might not be in a position to prepare for and show up to testify in court. So we don’t really know, do we, if such a person exists. Just like we don’t know if non-citizens are actually voting. (It seems like it would be pretty easy to look at the list of voters from the last election to find evidence of voter fraud, so I’m not sure why if it’s a real problem we don’t have any numbers on it.)

Look, in the Ohio case, if the state sends 200,000 registered voters notices that they have to do something extra (like send in a form) to make sure they’re able to vote, and that extra inconvenience and confusion dissuades 1% of them from voting who would have otherwise voted, then that’s what I’d call suppression of 2000 votes. If the point of the exercise is to catch 3 or 4 intentionally fraudulent voters, then I’d say the election is less fair than it would be without that extra check.

9. Harry says:

“3 or 4 intentionally fraudulent voters”? Seems to me, with the fanaticism of Obama people, it really could be a problem. Let’s say they register people off the street and absentee vote them simultaneously – which is apparently the case with many or most of them. Then on election day they show up and vote at their normal polling place in the next precinct over. As I understand it, the Democratic Secretary of State is unwilling to review these last-minute registrations so we may not know until after the election – if ever – if a couple hundred thousand “overvotes” happened. 200,000 mailings were returned because of inability to deliver (faulty addresses). That’s an awful lot. They’re not that many people without some sort of stable mailing address.

Tell me if I’m wrong, or overlooking something here.

10. Bill Simon says:

JK,

ALL it takes to win a state’s electoral votes is to win by ONE vote. That’s it. 50% +1 vote and winner takes all of that state’s electoral votes.

So, if you think “3 or 4” intentionally fraudulent voters could not affect an election, you’re sadly ignorant ot the fact that close elections CAN occur, DO occur, and most likely WILL occur again.

With ignorant fools like you involved, I REALLY think a commonsense test should be instituted from preventing people like you from voting at all.

11. atlantaman says:

I voted a week ago and it was so hard to open my wallet and pull out my ID. I felt intimidated when they asked for a picture ID and almost ran out of the polling place in shame. I don’t know how the voters continue to produce an ID election after election, it’s a true profile in courage.

Thanks to John Lewis’ current voting analogies to Bull Conner and George Wallace, I now know what it was like under Jim Crow laws.

12. It seems obvious that the Republican party’s own positions have narrowed their base to the point that, demographically, they are about to be outnumbered. Rather than broaden their base, they have chosen to try to disenfranchise voters more likely to vote Democratic – a losing strategy

LOL – the GOP nominated a dang Democrat for President, how much more of a “broadened base” can you get?

13. jkga says:

Yeah, I’m the one who’s unreasonable.

First, regarding the list of 200,000 names. It’s funny how many Republicans spend so much time trashing the incompetence of the government, then forget about the possibility of government error when it suits them. In my personal experience, it’s taken 3 or 4 times to get my name and my spouse’s name right on our property tax records. 200,000 mailings were not returned because of faulty addresses; there were 200,000 cases where voter reg data didn’t match other gov’t data (names, SS #’s etc.) In addition to data entry errors, think about people getting married and changing their names, people moving and not getting around to getting a new driver’s license, etc. These checks are *only being done for new voters*, which means they are more likely to target Democrats.

You are off your rocker if you think there can really be anywhere near 200,000 overvotes. 200,000 people willing to risk 5-10 years in jail to deliver one vote to a candidate who is favored to win anyhow, and at the same time discredit their candidate? Give me a break. You sound like the kind of person who thought that the Iraqis were responsible for 9-11.

Bill Simon- Of course 3 or 4 votes can influence an election. The suppression of 2000 votes is hundreds of times more likely to do so. I’m not the one who needs a lesson in math.

About the privilege of having a wallet and photo ID – laugh all you want, but I personally don’t find it amusing to contemplate citizens being turned away at the polls because they are not part of the mainstream. It happened to a group of nuns in Indiana – are you going to laugh at nuns because they don’t have driver’s licenses? I think that the current ID law is okay, but I’m glad for the court delays and re-working of the rules (originally, IIRC, there was no way to get a free ID) d so that even “low-information” voters (I’m not talking about Harry and Bill Simon here…) had time to be notified and prepare.

14. Bill Simon says:

JK,

Do you believe there is a responsibility for someone who is an of-age adult to be able to function within the confines of the United States having basic ID?

15. jkga says:

What? I’m not sure I understand the question. There is no law that I know of that says all citizens have to have a photo ID.

16. atlantaman says:

If you think the people who are illegally voting are bright enough to understand the legal consequences then you’re off your rocker.

Of course in modern America there are very few consequences and very few people are held accountable. Do you think any of the folks from ACORN, who are registering fake people, will actually see any jail time?

17. jkga says:

atlantaman –

So you think that our electoral system is threatened by a conspiracy of morons? Interesting theory.

I hope that those ACORN employees who intentionally made up names are held accountable; I know that many have been fired, and I would be happy to see them be jailed.

But those employees were just being lazy – there has never been any evidence that they were intending to influence the election by turning in forms for people who don’t exist. If they were motivated to influence the election, they’d have actually done their jobs and signed up real voters.

ACORN is required by law to pass along all the voter registrations it takes in, even the silly ones. The law is there to eliminate any potential bias due to the organization in deciding which forms to pass along.
    That law was apparently violated by a Republican-funded outfit where Democratic registrations were trashed.

story here