Bad News for Georgia

Since I posted yesterday about the 6th Circuit’s ruling instructing Ohio’s SoS to validate voter registrations, it’s only fair that I post about the Supreme Court overturning that ruling. I guess the 200,000 voter registrations in Ohio that don’t match records in either the drivers license system or social security system will get to vote. Many comments yesterday said we should ignore the 6th Circuit’s ruling since we’re a VRA state, and I’m sure they’ll say the same thing today. Nevertheless I think this is a bad deal for Ohio and Georgia.

UPDATE: Here’s the ruling. It appears to my non-lawyer eyes that the Supremes said the Federal Courts couldn’t issue a temporary restraining order.

1. Doug Deal says:

Was it actually the Supreme Court, or was it Justice Brennan exercising his right to issue a stay. The article I just read gives no details at all as to what type of “decision” it was.

2. Game Fan says:

One “criminal voter” is one too many. Methinks if this stuff were sorted out ahead of time there may not be so much voter intimidation at the polling locations.

3. mocamarc says:

People, you can fill out all of the bogus voter registration forms you want. Ineligible voters are a non-issue on election day. The real issue is the appalling lack of turnout of registered voters.

4. Doug Deal says:

I am not a lawyer, but from my reading, the court only ruled that the Ohio Republican Party is not “sufficiently likely” enough to succeed to be granted relief. That does not mean they ruled on the merits of the case, just that it is not an open and shut case for the ORP.

I really do not think this is a rejection by the Supreme Court.

5. Bill Simon says:

Congress should take note of this decision. Look at it. TWO SIMPLE PAGES.

Let’s see a Congressional bill be TWO pages. I challenge those legislative counsels to actually write a bill that is 2 simple pages….and makes it out of committee as 2 simple pages…and gets on the floor as 2 simple pages…and is not amended…if the libbies are going to scream about “killing the forests”, they should work on reducing the amount of paper required to print their friggin’ cockamamie bills out.

6. Jace Walden says:

I will never vote for Obama. But the amount of whining I have witnessed on this site about poor old McCain is freaking hilarious.

I hope Obama trounces him. Poor conservatives. Victims of the “liberal media”, “activist judges”, “George Soros”, the “ACLU”, since 1992.

7. atlantaman says:

You hope Obama trounces McCain, but you will never vote for Obama – a very well reasoned approach.

8. OleDirtyBarrister says:

The Dems, with Obama in the WH and the omnipotent twins Reed and Pelosi leading Congress, will be trouncing the whole damn country.

Four more years of Jimmy Carter!

Good luck to the rest of you suckers in keeping your job paying your bills, remaining married, keeping your home out of foreclosure, and just plain surviving. I’ll be getting rich doing obscene amounts of work in bankruptcy court!

9. albert says:

Oh Jace, shut your pie hole. Bunch of sanctimonious losers.

The fact of the matter, these low lifes promote the lowest common denominator to get into the ballot box. Some people shouldn’t be allowed to vote. There ought to be a competency test or something.

10. Bill Simon says:

Hey, Jace? If you think Obama will adhere to his tax plan, you must be as foolish as the people in 1992 who believed Bill Clinton was going to give the middle-calss a “taxcut.”

YOU’RE going to get just as screwed.

11. Jace Walden says:

Hey Bill Simon, if you think McCain will adhere to his tax plan, you must be as foolish as the people in 2000 and 2004 who believed George W. Bush was a “small-government conservative”.

YOU’RE going to get just as screwed.

Atlantaman, I don’t care for Obama or McCain…I just hope Obama trounces him because the incessant GOP Whining from guys like you and Bill Simon is freaking hilarious.

Keep it up guys!

Good point, Grift.

12. Bill Simon says:

Hey Jace Walden,

If you think the US will be a better place because Obama becomes President, you must be…not anywhere near as bright as I once thought you to be.

13. Jace Walden says:

Hey Bill Simon,

If you think the US will be a better place because McCain becomes President, you must be…not anywhere near as bright as I once thought you to be.

14. Jace Walden says:

Your hero, John McCommunism, is the same as Obama, through and through when it comes to government intervention in the market and gutting the bill of rights:

Obama wants the Fairness Doctrine…McCain wanted and got McCain-Feingold.

Obama wants to increase Government spending…McCain wants to increase government spending.

Obama wants more government regulation of the market…McCain wants more government regulation of the market.

Obama wants more government control of education, McCain wants more of “No Child Left Behind”.

McCain supports warrantless wiretapping of innocent Americans, Obama supports warrantless wiretapping of innocent Americans.

Bill, if you honestly think that McCain is a better choice than Obama, then not only are you not bright…you’re an idiot.

I never said I thought Obama was better. They’re both equally bad. There is no lesser of two evils.