I shouldn’t, but I will

I shouldn’t say this, but I will. At what point does Perry McGuire become a perennial candidate? How many times lately has he run for a statewide office?

1. Anyone is allowed to run 3 times before being considered a perennial candidate. Can be for the same office or different ones. Sometimes people run for the first office and lose, but become known enough to be elected in the next one (Clay Cox).

It’s either:
    Third time’s the charm (Newt Gingrich)
    Three strikes and you’re out (Guy Milner)

2. RuralDem says:

I’m just wondering what he’ll do in 2010. Remember, this is the guy who in 2006 realized half-way through that he couldn’t win the SOS Primary, so he suddenly felt his “abilities were better served” running for AG.

I see 2010 shaping up like this:

1. McGuire announces for AG again.
    2. Another Republican announces a month later.
    3. McGuire suddenly switches to Labor.
    4. Rumors abound that another Republican will file.
    5. McGuire finally decides that his vast expertise and experience as legal counsel for Chik-Fil-A would make him a great Agriculture Commissioner.
    6. McGuire loses the Primary to Gary Black and plots a run for a Judicial seat in 2012.

3. Doug Deal says:

So, is that count cumulative or consectutive? For example, if I run for Clerk of Court and lose twice, but get elected Sheriff on the third election, but resign to run for Clerk of Courts and lose, is that a three strikes your out case, or do I have a new set of “downs”, as they say in football, for me to lose 2 more times before I get the boot?

How’s that for a run-on sentence?

4. atlantaman says:

“Guy who? Oh, that’s right Millionaire Guy Milner. You didn’t use his real first name.”

When did we reach a point in America when growing up poor and becoming a Millionaire, like Guy Millner, is considered bad. We need to get back to the point where personal success is good and reliance on government is bad. It’s going to be difficult with all the new euphemisms – we don’t use the word “welfare” anymore we now call it a “tax credit”.

5. Perry was a State Senator from Douglas and Carroll Counties.

He was the first Republican elected (then re-elected) to District 30, ever: elected in a special election against Democrat Tracy Stallings. He eventually decided not to run for re-election in order to spend more time with his family.

In 2006 Perry started to run for SOS but switched to run for Atty General. I don’t think that going again in ’08 makes him perennial.

It’s a fair question. But by voluntarily not running for re-election to the Senate, he’s already shown in his life he can live with or without politic.

That, to me, the real test.

6. OleDirtyBarrister says:

Live with or without politics?

He spent a small fortune of his own money in the AG race trying to get a govt job and pension. Now, he is back again. That is a little too desperate for a govt job for my book.

7. OleDirtyBarrister says:

I will add, even though I made a lengthy post about the candidates in the election thread, that McGuire is not a litigator and has never been before the GA Ct of Appeals. He is a decent guy from what I know, and I have friends at his firm, but he simply is not judge material. He would be way in over his head if elected. Moreover, I would be quite concerned about the regard his peers would have for him and his opinions. Having an ineffective an unpersuasive judge that can not contribute much is hardly a good deal for taxpayers or litigants.

8. GOPeach says:

Guy Milner is my friend. He happens to be as apt as Mitt Romney with the class of Ronald Reagan. What’s wrong with being a MILLIONAIRE???
    Since when is it cool to be broke?

Look – I don’t do broke! I’m a red-blooded AMERICAN by God!

9. Voting on judges is a crap shoot because you NEVER know who or what you are voting for.

In this race, I know one person. Perry McGuire is an excellent human being that works hard and is a team player. His ethics are sound and is an incredible human being.

He’s got my vote.

10. Truthteller says:

GOPPeach: “Look – I don’t do broke! I’m a red-blooded AMERICAN by God!”

GOPeach, then who then DO you do?

11. Bill Simon says:

Really? So, having experience in trial procedures to know what the acceptable practice is for making an objection, or trying to figure out if a judge in a lower court overreached his authority, or anything remotely like that, AtlantaMan, would be of inconsequential experience to properly deciding a case presented to the Georgia Court of Appeals?

If McGuire doesn’t make it this time, make SURE you seek him out to represent YOU if you ever need a trial attorney. ‘Cause, from your logic, experience is completely irrelevant.

12. Bill Simon says:

I’m not sure you quite understand the importance of judges NOT being a “team player.”

A judge is supposed to be able to come up with their decisons on their own…and not just “go along with what the rest of the team” thinks about an issue.

Or, by that statement, did you mean that because McGuire has run as a Republican so many times, that he’s one of “our team” and because of that, we should just automatically vote for him?

‘Cause, you know…going along with the “team-Think” concept worked SO well in Congress…right up until November 2006.

13. rugby fan says:

“‘Cause, from your logic, experience is completely irrelevant.”

That’s not what he is saying and it is a pretty egregious lapse to claim that only lawyers are qualified to be an appellate judgeship. Legal scholars would likely be qualified in A-townman’s eyes as would other judges.

14. The Comma Guy says:

Lots of good points in here about why Mr. McGuire is not qualified to hold this position. Too bad there hasn’t been a debate for him to get embarrassed again on a state-wide level. Yes, he is 1 of the 2 “chosen” candidates by the GA GOP. And yes, he has ties to Chick-Fil-A so all the Southern Baptists feel a responsibility to get him elected. But look at what the job requires. He may be a good man and a great human, but we need someone who has at least filed an appeal in his professional career to be an appellate judge. This is not a position for someone to shoot from the hip or do what they think is right. There is little ability for the Georgia Supreme Court to step in a fix a mess created by a misguided ruling from the Court of Appeals.

In my opinion, Mr. McGuire’s ambitions would be better served if he were to take a job that actually put him in the court room as an advocate to gain some practical experience towards these jobs he keeps trying to win election.