The Race Baiter Speaks

And has no regrets.

U.S. Rep. John Lewis on Tuesday said he had no regrets for claiming that Republican rhetoric in the presidential contest reminded him of words spoken by segregationist Alabama Gov. George Wallace —- but he admitted that he could have made his point “in a different way.”

Kind of like his 2006 commercial. You know, your life depends on you voting against the GOP.

Sigh.

1. AtlConservative says:

Erick, did you get the memo that you are only racist if you are white. You can only be a race baiter if you are white. Because Lewis is a minority, he can do anything he wants!

2. John Konop says:

Unless the GOP starts focusing on economics instead of issues like this the party will become small and regional based. I focus on my own behavior not others because that is what I control. The concept of focusing on Ayers, Acorn, Muslim….via Obama is a turn off to must Americans.

Most Americans are scared about jobs, lack of savings for the future, healthcare….. At a time when leadership could come forward with real solutions via out of control spending via government and personal this is what you focus on?

This is why the GOP is in trouble. One can only hope the Party learns from this mistake in 08.

3. Decaturguy says:

Does this mean that when John McCain is elected, John Lewis will no longer be one of the three most important people that he consults with?

What “region” will the GOP be based Konop? Alabama and Mississippi?

4. John Konop says:

I think it will be more based on demographics by age. The polling data shows the race and religious right issues like gay marriage means very little to people 40 and under.

I went to my sons’ homecoming game last weekend with my family and a friend I grew up with from Ohio. My son goes to Woodstock High School which predominately white. Yet you could tell the race issue means nothing watching the kids.

We all commented about how the younger generation will put this issue behind us.

5. AtlConservative says:

I’m under 40. I am a Republican. I am fiscally conservative and socially moderate. My concerns about gay marriage have more to do with judges legislating from the bench than a moral issue. I don’t care what religion you are. I don’t care what color you are. I am pro-choice to a point.

Some socially conservative Republicans may ask how am I truly Republican…. Here’s the answer – I am for smaller government, less taxes, personal responsibility, and justice for all. I want to take my money home and be able to decide if and to whom I want to give my money to. I want to be rewarded for hard work.

Yes John. The people under 40 are going to be different – BUT the core Republican values remain the same. That is what we believe in!

6. AtlConservative says:

PS I believe that race issues are getting worse. I truly believe I see more racism toward white people. While your son and his friends may not care about the race issue, the minorities seem to be getting angrier everyday.

7. John Konop says:

AtlConservative

You represent the future of the GOP. I do think the Young Republicans are the key to the future of the GOP. And from speaking in front of the group a few times your views seem predominate to me. That is why I have been very supportive of your group. That is why the old guard needs to step aside and let you guys take control.

8. Mike Hauncho says:

I am under 30 and a Republican and more people are interested in what the connection Ayres is once they actually hear about it. People are concerned about the economy but very few are focused on the solution. They think that by replacing a Republican President with a Democrat President will make things better. Guess again. With each passing day we are shown that it is going to take a real leader with real ideas to help turn around the country. Barack Obama has never even run a lemonade stand yet somehow people think he is qualified to be President.

Cong. Lewis needs to step aside and let a new generation step up. He has been saying the same thing for 30 years and it got old 20 years ago. Without the fear of race he has nothing to stand on. I hate to see that happen to a man who pout his life on the line for what he believes but it is time to go.

9. Mike Hauncho says:

ATLConservative,

I have to agree with you on the race issue. While this is certainly a two way street and I know there are racist of every color I feel that the recent rise of Obama has left may blacks believing that this is it and all will be better if he is elected. I can’t imagine what it must be like to be in their shoes hoping that the first African American is elected President. I think I take it for granted that it has always been a white guy. But things are not going to change because of Obama’s success. It will for Obama but for few others. There are real issues that the black community needs to face such as the number of minorities in jail, youth drop out rates, and unwed mothers. Solving those problem will not come from the government and will do more to bring them up than Obama will. I think we often times focus on issues that dont matter because they are more politicized, more emotional, or more glamorous instead of focusing on the true issues that need fixing.

10. AtlConservative said: “I believe that race issues are getting worse. I truly believe I see more racism toward white people. ”

Have you tried getting a contract at Robins AFB and be a White person? My company plans were yanked right out from underneath me and disclosed to someone from India. The Small Business Office has told Whites that if they want contracts, sub contract under minorities via the 8(a) set-aside program.

I’ve been doing the Macon Police Department’s Web site since 1999, as an unpaid community service project. I was told if I want a paid contract, I had to offer the (former) mayor campaign money, and I had to be Black.

The City of Macon contract for their Web site was awarded to the same Black-owned company that received the 8(a) set-aside projects the Small Business Office at RAFB took away from Whites.

I don’t understand this racism and I don’t understand why the government is supporting it.

I am still unpaid for the work I do for the City of Macon, while the Black-owned company gets paid. The City has two separate Web sites because of this.

11. The problem I see with the African American community, and I realize ti is very hypocritical for me to analyze a group like this when I’m not a member of it, is that they listen to people like Ludacris and not Bill Cosby. Mr. Cosby caught a lot of flack years ago, but what he said is true and it has been largely ignored.

I’m all for improved race relations, as there is still a problem. But everyday I see plenty of kids who are voting for Obama purely because he is black; they can’t articulate any issue he supports or identify any issue the opposition supports. But they all tell me that he’s going to make things better for them. They specifically identify themselves as a separate group and I always ask for clarification; the majority believe that because he is a minority he is going to specifically help them. That said, I always find a few who realize that having an African American President will certainly empower them to strive and achieve larger goals, but they do not feel he is going to directly “save them.”

I’m not a racist, and I think very few people could accuse me of such. But it says a lot when we have large groups of society believing that because a President is the same color as them he is going to help them as a sect of society while neglecting others.

At the same time, there are a bunch of white people out there who are racist – and from the videos I have seen they seem to be concentrated up north quite a bit. Guess what? They are Republicans, Democrats, and Independents that are racist – gasp, there are even racist minority members.

Having said this, I’m not voting for Obama. Not because of the color of his skin, but because I disagree with his policy positions. I’m not sure I’m going to vote for McCain either. I too am a Republican, and I think the party has lost it’s way. Neither of the major candidates this year represent anything similar to fiscal conservatism, and I’m almost ashamed to say that McCain represents the same state Goldwater did.

I could careless if the SCOTUS says that abortion is legal; the matter should fall to the states – along with a host of other issues that have somehow made it up to the federal level. The federal government has grown too large, and with this growth it has spent more and more money. Is it really that difficult to find a candidate nowadays that is willing to combat these type of policies?

12. Game Fan says:

I’m with JK on the race issue. And it’s difficult to tell where the race baiting ends and the people who “take the bait” begin. But hey, don’t get me wrong, I enjoy being politically incorrect but holy mackerel folks, unless race is all you got then WTF? Of course many in the Republican camp can’t really go full bore conservative because they might wind up criticizing RIHPs (Republicans in high places)

13. slyram says:

Well put, Ronald. Don’t hesitate to study and comment on any groups when you are college; that’s what objective critical analysis is.