Terrorist attack foiled in Savannah…sort of

A woman who forced a Hispanic man to the ground at gunpoint Sunday morning later claimed she did so in the interest of national security, according to Savannah-Chatham police.

Kelly Obrien-Dickey, 42, told detectives she pulled the handgun on Ramon Ortiz, 37, at Broughton and Price streets about 10 a.m. because “he matched the description of a Middle Eastern terrorist,” a preliminary report stated.

Ortiz told officers he had simply asked Obrien-Dickey for directions to the Inner City Night Shelter, prompting her to curse him in Spanish, brandish the Colt .45 gun, and order him to the ground, according to the report.

1. Rogue109 says:

I’ve had several ask me over the last few years in the Virginia-Highlands area. They were new in town and just looking for a place to hit the sack. No biggie.

2. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

A Spansh-speaking Middle Eastern terrorist? If she thought he was a Middle Eastern terrorist, why not curse him out in Arabic or Farsi?

3. AtlConservative says:

This isn’t really all that shocking with the ridiculous anti-Muslim e-mail going around (I’ve received it 4 times now!). BTW, NOT ALL MUSLIMS or PERSONS OF MIDDLE EASTERN DECENT (spelling?) ARE TERRORISTS!

Now Obama is awful and a socialist with his own TV channel, but it should not matter if he’s Muslim.

That all said, I wish I would have seen this woman take down this “terrorist.” That would have been amusing! (Yeah, not for the guy and I feel for him, but I can’t resist picturing it).

4. CBM says:

I don’t know if the fact that there is a Mexican restaurant located at that very corner makes this more funny or more pathetic.

5. Game Fan says:

Of course he’s probably not on a terrorist mission. And he probably smells bad too. But, what about the court case against her? The future of America could be at stake.

6. I apologize Bill. The story just reminded me of the SNL Couric-Palin interview where Palin thought she had spotted, many times, Bin Laden in NY.

I’ll go back to being angry libertarian now and leave the jokes to you professional clowns.

WTF are they thinking with this bailout nonsense! Better?

7. Old Vet says:

Is this not a vivid argument against allowing everyone to carry guns? By definition, this nut job woman is one of the “law abiding citizens” the gun nuts are telling us will keep law and order in the streets. I occassionally speak to my wife in French when we’re in public, and what could be more suspicious than that? Will I be fired upon at the movie some evening? :>)

8. HankRearden says:

Old Vet, just maybe is all I can say. Most likely you will be safe if you keep that French stuff at home. No one wants to see that anyway. 😉

9. candlerpark says:

Gotta love Georgia.

Remember that woman 5 years ago that found ‘the terrists’ in a Shoneys in Calhoun GA? Turned out to be 3 swarthy, evil lookin’ medical school students.

10. Bill Simon says:

“and this is what happens when Presidents instill fear into simple people.”

RIGHT, Rick. Those terrorist attacks on 9-11 were a figment of everyone’s imagination and President Bush was solely responsble for “instilling fear” into “simple people.”

Just what are “simple people,” Rick?

11. chicswdics says:

Sounds like this woman needs to be locked away for a very long time,
    Isn’t it scary that anyone is able to do this to another when they are just walking down the street,
    Who does she think she is …..was she wearing her cape like a super hero or did she just have one too many at the mexican cantena?
    Isn’t everyone else concerned about the saftey of Savannah.
    What about the poor individual that this has happened too!
    He should be cursing her in english.

12. Doug Deal says:

From the story:

She later said that “she believed he was on a mission.”

I don’t know, this doesn’t fit the partisan angle that you leftists have, but perhaps this woman was just a tad bit crazy? People have been claiming to be Napolean and Jesus for centuries and no one has ever thought to blame it on the President. But old habit die hard for you guys.