Dissatisifed, but . . .

Chambliss is in trouble

Once considered a safe bet for re-election to a second term, Chambliss suddenly appears vulnerable amid a wave of anti-incumbent frustration and economic turmoil.

His newly troubled candidacy is giving Democrats visions of approaching a 60-vote, filibuster-proof majority in next month’s election, instead of just the four or five seats they had expected to take from Republicans. Democrats control the Senate 51-49.

Chambliss’ “yes” vote for the $700 billion financial package earlier this month is the latest in a series of positions that haven’t sat well with the conservatives who make up his base. He also faces a potential surge of newly registered Democratic voters excited about Barack Obama’s presidential campaign, and a general anti-Republican sentiment after eight years of the Bush administration.

But, if you average out the polls, he is still about seven points ahead, though under fifty. While late breakers will go for Martin, there will be some for Saxby and those will probably put him over the edge.

I’ve been dissatisfied with him, but I’m voting for him. I think he’s a good guy, I like him personally, but I think he needs to replace his Chief of Staff in favor of someone who’ll not lead him into these sticky issues.

1. Ga Values says:

If the Dems are 59, add 1 if Saxby Special Interest Chambliss is re elected, he’ll sell out to the Liberal Lobbyist. McCain says Country First, Saxby Says LOBBYIST( Especially Bo Chambliss) FIRST.. Fire Saxby Now..

2. I’m thinking my vote is going to be for NOTA. I’m not impressed by Buckley. Saxby has the FairTax and votes how I want some of the time, but then votes like classic liberal and ruins that. Eugene Talmadge look-a-like is liberal as cuss and has yet to impress me on a single position.

I’m not sure there is a lesser evil here.

3. Blake says:

You think he’s a good guy and you like him personally, and that’s enough to vote for him? Spoken like a true wanna-be insider.

4. Decaturguy says:

I think that there are going to be a lot of racist white voters in Georgia who want to see change, but can’t stomach voting for Obama. To counterbalance their vote for McCain, they’ll vote for Martin. Something for Saxby to worry about.

5. bowersville says:

I think there is going to be a lot of black racist voters in Georgia who want to see change, but can’t stomach voting for McCain. To counterbalance their vote for Obama, they’ll vote for Martin. Something for Martin to worry about, as soon as he attempts to correct the corruption of Fannie/Freddie, Martin is a racist.

6. btpull says:

I am on the verge of voting for every Libertarian on the ballot. If this helps the democrats so be it. Sometimes you have to catch a cold to remember how great it is to be healthy. I just hope we do not end up with the flu.

7. Will Hinton says:

I just don’t understand voting for Saxby after he has betrayed the people of the state of Georgia, his supposed conservative principles, and our children and grandchildren who are now saddled with debt for their entire lives. I will happily vote for Martin and encourage everyone I know to do so. Saxby isn’t fitting for his office.

8. bowersville says:

Don’t wait teetering on the verge, vote early. When you think the rest of us need to catch a cold, I hope you can stand the flu because it’s coming and it has nothing to do with your 1% Libertarian vote. So vote Libertarian and stop deluding yourself as to the importance of a Libertarian vote.

9. Bill Simon says:

Decaturguy,

I think that there are going to be a lot of racist white voters [emphasis added] in Georgia who want to see change,

Gawd…you really ARE a fu*cking idiot.

10. Decaturguy says:

Bill,

You can use your foul language and call me an idiot all you want but the facts are the facts. However, I think your tone and language proves who the real idiot is.

There are a lot of Georgia voters, I know and talk to many of them, you probably dont, who traditionally vote for Democrats, but who have told me that they can’t vote for Obama mostly because of issues of race. I’m thinking of one person in my neighborhood in particular who has a Jim Martin sign in their yard, but said they can’t vote for Obama.

Again, these are loose Democrats, or people who usually vote for Democrats, who are the “racist white voters” I’m speaking of, not Republicans who aren’t voting for Obama. There are Republicans who wouldn’t vote for a Democratic candidate whether they are white, black, brown, orange or green.

If you still think I’m wrong, how will you explain how Jim Martin will poll 2-3% higher than Obama will in Georgia? And he will … and my point is that should concern Saxby because that’s going to put Martin with a likely 48% of the vote. If you assume Buckley gets 10%, Saxby is in REAL TROUBLE.

11. Bill Simon says:

Decaturguy,

How do I “explain” it? Because…and, I know this is a foreign concept to you…people are not classified 100% across the line by all people as being either black or white.

Also, people have seen Jim Martin’s name on a ballot before in Georgia…they have seen him work in Georgia before…people (I know…another foreign concept to you) in general, show a propensity to stick with people they are more familiar with (i.e. Jim Martin) than people they don’t really know (i.e., Obama).

Frankly, I’m surprised you haven’t brought in the homosexual factor…or, the height factor…or any other number of asinine factors that you have ZERO proof of any connection.

You have a problem with “foul language?” I have a problem with foul thoughts emanating from people like you that border on blind hysteria.

12. Icarus says:

Bill,

You’re arguing after you’ve won.

Decaturguy just admitted that the problem with Racism is within the ranks of the democrats. The party that only sees people in groups, to be represented by quotas. The party that insists the voting rights act should only apply to southerners, so that they don’t have to deal with race issues in Ohio and Pennsylvania while pointing to a voting record that says they’re on the case. The party that has a former KKK grand master as its most senior member of the Senate.

The dems were fine when their plantation model of a white guy at the top represented the supposed women’s and minorities’ interest groups. Its flaws were exposed during a primary between a woman and a minority.

13. Bill Simon says:

John,

Except for the hysterical blogging by you and Farris on a cartoon likely created by a South Park wannabe, WHEN did the Hillary camp use race in that campaign?

14. DTK says:

“If you still think I’m wrong, how will you explain how Jim Martin will poll 2-3% higher than Obama will in Georgia?”

How does this square with the fact that Baker and Thurmond led the top of the Democratic ticket in ’06? Did Georgia just see a large influx of racist voters in the past two years, or is Georgia’s relative coolness to Obama attributed more to his policies and persona rather than his race?

I think it says something about people when they jump on the race issue without even looking for alternative explanations.

15. Tea Party says:

In have formally completed my study of one racist white voter in Decatur. Yup, I actually know a guy who makes no bones about his racism toward African Americans, and pretty much anyone else who is not a white, Southern Baptist. Born, bred, schooled in Avondale/Decatur.

The man indicated he would not vote for either Obama or Martin. Obama, not because of his skin color, but rather his lack of experience.

I called BS, and he maintained: Experience is a deal killer.

Q: How would you vote if Obama was more experienced?

A: Well, he isn’t, now is he? was the reply…

As to Martin, wouldn’t vote for him cause he is a “liberal, union lover, that doesn’t know Jack Sh*t.”

Voters, ya gotta love ’em… or not.

I wrote Saxbys’ office indicating I would not vote for him, but frankly, I cannot participate in giving Ms. Pelosi and her merry band of extremists anything close to ‘non-Fillibuster’ Congress.

Sen. Chambliss, I am a lifelong GOP voter and I think you lack any shred of credibility or fiscal conservatism.

There, now don’t I feel better.

16. If Martin, who is not that different in policy than Obama, polls 2-3% higher than Obama it seems that race would be one variable that a political scientist would look at.

Not that I buy into the argument, but if the outcome does play out like that I can guarantee it will be variable in the post-election analysis.

17. bowersville says:

Konop, not wanting to pick a fight, but you have is backwards. The Obama camp pulled the race card out on Bill Clinton for referencing Jesse Jackson’s previous win in SC after Obama won.

If any idiot on this board wants to claim Bill Clinton is a racist for politically speaking up for his white wife, I want to hear about it.

Obama supporters are the racist this time. Claiming racism if you don’t support socialist/Marxist political positions. But you know what? They’re right, all whitey Republicans are racist bigots and we’ll cave at the first suggestion that conservatism is racist.

18. John Konop says:

bowersville

FYI

MSNBC-……It’s also interesting to note that in Ohio, 1-in-5 Democratic voters said race was an important factor in making their decision. In that group, 8-in-10 voted for Hillary Clinton…….

As for voters by age, Obama is getting two-thirds of young voters (ages 18-29), as well as the majority (54%) of those ages 30 to 44. Hillary Clinton is getting the over-45 group and taking an overwhelming number of the seniors (ages 65+ she gets 7-out-of-10). That is one of the largest margins for Clinton we have seen this entire primary season.

Hillary: ‘SPADE WORK’ (clinton racist code words)

FROM TOWNHALL

Hillary Won’t Disavow Racist Comments

by Amanda Carpenter

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton will not disavow controversial comments made by a high-profile supporter about Barack Obama’s race that his campaign says is part of an “insidious pattern” of attack.

Former congresswoman and one-time vice presidential candidate Geraldine Ferraro told a reporter for the California-based Daily Breeze, “If Obama were a white man, he would not be in this position.”

“And if he was a woman he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept,” she added.

Clinton told the Associated Press “I do not agree with” Ferraro’s assessment, but would not reject or denounce the comments.

“It is regrettable that any of our supporters on both sides, because we’ve both had that experience, say things that kind of veer off into the personal,” Clinton said.