One in three recent Atlanta Police Academy graduates have criminal records

Just depressing.

More than one-third of recent Atlanta Police Academy graduates have been arrested or cited for a crime, according to a review of their job applications. The arrests ranged from minor offenses such as shoplifting to violent charges including assault. More than one-third of the officers had been rejected by other law enforcement agencies, and more than half of the recruits admitted using marijuana.

1. OleDirtyBarrister says:

The City of Atlanta effs up everything else that it touches. Is this really any surprise?

I’d bet there are a bunch of invisible and dead people on the City’s payroll as well, just like in the New Orleans P.D. Anyone want to wager with me?

2. Donkey Kong says:

…more than half of the recruits admitted using marijuana.

That’s probably representative of the broader population.

3. umustbekidding says:

Bill – I meant that those guys were getting in trouble with the law and then decide to join the force. Does that make sence?
    This explains why Atlanta’s police force is so pitiful. Good thing they are surrounded by counties with better police.

4. Wavy says:

Don’t question Bill’s logic umustbekidding, it’s flawless.

Just ask him his views on global warming…. I can’t even make this up…..

He believes that the scientific community at one point believed that the earth was the center of the universe, until a man named Copernicus came around, so therefore scientific consensus is crap. How can you argue logic like that?

So Bill, are you going to tell us that gravity is “crap” and merely God pushing down on us?

I think it’s disturbing, however, the marijuana thing shouldn’t be an issue. The link to the full story is a 404 error, so I couldn’t get clarification on the wording of “using marijuana”. If there are using marijuana regularly or in the recent past then it’s troubling, if “using marijuana” is just a reference to past use, then it’s not a big deal.

Most people I know have at least tried it, even some of the “best” and most “honest”. If you went to college, there’s a very good chance you’ve tried it.

5. Wavy says:

Just read the article, the sample size is 36 applicants….. hardly scientific, or even enough to make a logical assumption. I’m amazed at what generally passes for news in the ajc.

6. umustbekidding says:

Bill –
    Good. Sometimes my comments come off wrong.

Wavy –
    I would trust Bill over most people on this board. He has a pretty good handle on what is going on.
    You said “the marijuana thing shouldn’t be an issue”.
    Is that because Obama and Bill Clinton both were drug users and they’re running our country? So now it is OK?
    Our standards sure are dropping fast.

7. Rick Day says:

umustbekidding,

The FBI dropped the ‘no drugs ever’ policy years ago.

You say ‘dropping standards’ as if admitting in HS or college you toked a little reefer. If you have not, I speculate you are the exception to the rule.

I’d rather deal with a cop that is based in reality and understands priorities, than a cop that is from wherever the hell you think ‘not-ever-drug-users-nope-not-even-once’ live..

8. bowersville says:

1 in 3 Atlanta cops is a felon? I’m suprised, oh, I re-read the article, 1 in 3 graduates is a felon. After graduation, how many are felons? 9 of 10?

Don’t worry, all the felon cop graduates have been rehabilitated and are sub prime home owners. This is a way of fighting unemployment, forgiveness, caring about the downtrodden and keeping the sub prime homes off the foreclosure market. It’s about J-O-B-S, [email protected] the qualifications. Duh.

Don’t you racist understand, felons need a job and a home.

9. umustbekidding says:

Rick

I doubt anyone with a record only did it once.

I have two drug free brothers that are officers and they are good at their job even without the “toke”.

10. Bill Simon says:

Rick,

You love the concept of people being allowed to ignore the law, don’t you?

You really must spend a lot of time in your own fantasy Utopia where laws are ignored and people don’t care about anything except their own pleasing themselves.

Hey…Amsterdam is ready when you are. Move there and live the life you dream you could live here.