Clear Channel plans “black talk” for Macon; “white talk” plans deemed racist

Finally, Erick has something new to listen to in the mornings.

Former Macon City Council President Anita Ponder is teaming up with a radio partner for a morning talk show that’s scheduled to begin Monday morning.

It’s part of big changes at WIBB-AM, 1280 on the dial, in what Clear Channel is billing as the Macon market’s first ever “black talk” radio station.

Todd Haygood, Clear Channel’s director of urban programming, will join Ponder on the show from 6-9 a.m. They will discuss “the issues and news of the day and how they will affect the African-American community in Macon,” according to a release from Bill Clark, a Clear Channel vice president and market manager.

“The introduction of this programming is historic,” Clark said.

1. griftdrift says:

Or it could be a smart marketing/programming decision by a private company which recognizes the tremendous success of “urban talk radio” in other markets.

2. ramblinwreck says:

Maybe they can figure out that unfortunate gang violence problem the NAACP wanted to implement a curfew to solve a couple of months back. I’m not sure those gang-bangers will be up that early though to call in. Dope dealers are typically not up that early are they?

3. Doug Deal says:

grift,

It probably is a good marketing decision, but I think he was commenting on the hypocrisy of calling it “black talk”.

I have listened to “Urban Talk Radio” and when it comes to race relations, it certainly doesn’t help. Until we look past an insignificant evolutionary adaptation to balance protection against skin cancer and the ionization effects of ultra-violet radiation with the need for Vitamin D in higher latitudes, it will just be a lot a grief we pass on to our children and our children’s children.

What person, who truly cares about the well being of future generations, wants to take their turn at the wheel grinding that old axe? Isn’t it time we moved on?

4. I don’t really see a problem with the station. The term “black talk” is just perpetuating stereotypes and such though. I would not have personally characterized nor called it “black talk.”

5. Rogue109 says:

What would people say if Clear Channel announced a new station in Macon with ONLY white hosts who ONLY talked about issues related ONLY to the “white community” (whatever that is).

I know, I know: “That’s WMAC!” Har de har har.

But I remember in the 90’s down there when Ken Hamblin was on in the afternoons and all seemed fine with the city.

6. Vic says:

Ms Ponder will do well. She gets along with everyone, has always rolled up her sleeves and works diligently to address the social problems around us down here.

7. Rogue109 says:

Game Fan:

Can you point me to the link that shows that Herman Cain or J.C. Watts directly tailor their show only to 13% of the population?

8. slyram says:

Seriously guy, I understand the niche served by this station and welcome an informative option for listeners. In reality, most things in a society trend for the majority, so you don’t really need a White this or that. When I lived in D.C. (Chocolate City), the majority was Black and maybe a White talk radio….I am starting to see your point. lol

I have to run, heading over the Albany State University for Homecoming. The Albany Herald front page that says last year we drop 4.5 million dollars into the local economy. ASU is a historically Black college and the same argument regarding the Black radio station has been made about the continued need for public Black colleges.

My mission this weekend is asking 8th District Obama/Biden supporters if they are really going to let Marshall slide for ignoring the ticket—you would be surprised at the number of Black conservative from ASU.

9. slyram says:

I am honored to say I have met J.C. Watts and strongly supported Cain’s senate bid—J.C. and Sanford Bishop are friends. Both Watts and Cain radio shows and media operations are not geared for Black listeners and that is cool (like Black women saying that Oprah is not a Black show.)

You know where I am heading: should Senator Obama become president, everyone knows he will be president of all of America and not the Black president. Black talk radio has been pushing that point since day one. Actually, the most liberal candidate in that race was John Edwards, so Jesse and Al have made it clear that he will be on Obama like they are on Bishop, David Scott and the other Black Blue Dogs.