Gun Rights

According to Georgia Carry, “the Senate study committee on firearms laws is holding its licensing meeting next week.” In their email, they point out the hearing will be at 1:30 p.m. on October 14, 2008, in room 450 of the Capitol.

They add this:

Thanks to the “War on Drugs,” Georgia imposes a lifetime prohibitor on people with misdemeanor marijuana convictions. In fact, this is probably the most common complaint from people who are ineligible for a license in Georgia. You will note that this is still a lifetime disqualifier in the draft that is being circulated. . . . If this affects you, then it is time for your voice to be heard. Take the day off. Call Evelyn Thomas at (404)656-0064 and politely ask to be put on the list to speak. Please note that this is not the time to advocate drug use or the legalization of marijuana or anything else other than the fact that an old misdemeanor charge should not be a lifetime prohibitor on the right to bear arms in Georgia. This should take less than 60 seconds to articulate. In fact, the shorter the better.

You have to be on the list by noon on Friday to speak.

1. Tinkerhell says:

And since you are getting the email, I assume you joined, which means you put that application I brought you at the firehouse to good use. ๐Ÿ™‚

I don’t fit the bill – I don’t have any prior misd. drug issues (or any other ones that I’ll admit to) but I do think our current lifetime bar for minor issues is silly. 10 years clean with no felonies should be good enough. It’s foolish to hold a possession charge from when someone was in their teens against them when they are 30+ and don’t still have issues. I mean heck, it’s looking like we are going to stick a guy who admits to pot & coke use into the whitehouse. ๐Ÿ™

2. Icarus says:

“itโ€™s looking like we are going to stick a guy who admits to pot & coke use into the whitehouse. ”

What’s wrong with a little coke use? I drink one now and then myself. I’m sure Jimmy Carter wasn’t around drinking Pepsi as he tried to get the hostages out of Iran, or while he drew up papers to give away the Panama Canal.

Coke is fine. People should drink more of it. Let’s just make sure we don’t elect a president that has a thing for blow.

3. griftdrift says:

Well by golly Georgia Carry and I actually agree. Of course I would take the next step….

And Tinkhell, you really think we haven’t already? Don’t sell past the close.

4. atlantaman says:

If you saw the movie Pineapple Express you might rethink the idea that people convicted for marijuana use should be using guns.

5. StevePerkins says:

Don’t we ALREADY have a President in the White House who’s used a little coke in the past? Not trying to take a swipe at Bush (no real point anymore)… just reiterating how silly this sort of thing is. Barring gun rights for violent felonies is one thing, but I agree with Tinkerhell above. A lifetime prohibition for non-violent offenses is pretty hard to defend. It’s one thing to stick it to an 18-year old kid for a few years after he gets busted for something, but it doesn’t make sense to still hang that over his head well into his 30’s and 40’s and beyond. Hell, if everyone who smoked a little pot got busted for it, then about half to two-thirds of Georgians would be barred from owning firearms for life. Give me a break.

6. Chris says:

Letโ€™s just make sure we donโ€™t elect a president that has a thing for blow.

Clinton wasn’t that bad. Hell he was better than the monkey the GOP put in the Oval Office.

7. umustbekidding says:

I am already a gun clinging, Harley riding, right wing , religious woman. No need for me to be at the meeting.

8. Vic says:

27 days til the election, expect to hear a tremendous amount of late minute Jesus and Gun talk from the extreme right, in an effort to avoid the $700 billion talk and half a million AIG Executive Spa retreats on the bailout money dime etc, etc, etc,.

9. Game Fan says:

Jeez let ’em vote. We got a man from Kenya and a man from Panama running for prez, and 2 former Coke head Presidents. Crooks everywhere you look in a coat and tie. And they’re worried about some Joe who decides to toke it up to escape the BS?

10. Rick Day says:

Since this bill makes total and complete sense, the few remaining Republicans will use the “Looky me! I am tough on drugs (unspoken:AND that means I’m tough on taxpayers!)” line to get this shot down.

As they do all GOOD bills that attempt to progress GA into the late 19th Century.

Haven’t you all retired yet? Me? I’m writing in Steve Perkins for Guv.