Sad News.

One of my favorite restaurants burned last night. I hope they rebuild.

A DeKalb County restaurant that has served up Cuban sandwiches for more than 30 years was heavily damaged Monday by an early-morning fire.

The blaze broke out shortly after midnight at the Havana Sandwich Shop in the 2900 block of Buford Highway, according to DeKalb fire dispatchers.

No injuries were reported. Fire officials have not said what caused the blaze.

Owner Debbie Benedit told WSB-TV that the restaurant was the target of an attempted break-in just last week.

Benedit, her late husband, Eddie, and his father and brothers opened the sandwich shop in 1976. The Benedits came to the United States from Cuba in the early 1960s.

1. rugby fan says:

If we lose Little Havana that means Atlanta’s two most venerable Cuban Sandwich shops will be lost within six months of each other (Kool Korner being the other).

2. MediaGuyAtl says:

My 9 year old saw the news and almost cried! I hope they had insurance and can rebuild. I was born and raised in Tampa and by far this was the best Cuban Restaurant north of the Florida state line.

3. Havana is truly one of the best restaurants in Atlanta.

Their cuban sandwich plate is the best around. That meal, plus a jupina soft drink, can’t be beat.

Hope they make it back. If they do, and if you are a PP reader who hasn’t tried the place, you need to go-

4. I usually get a Cuban sandwich plate with a Mango milkshake. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

If they rebuild maybe we should have a Peach Pundit get together there.

5. Icarus says:

All you people eat the cuban sandwich? The number 17, two jalepeno cheese beef enchiladas is the way to go. Trust me. I don’t lie to you often.

6. liberator says:

Great place! Have eaten many Cuban Sandwich Plates there over the years. Hope they reopen soon!

7. bucky says:

A sad, sad, day. At least they recently opened a second location in Canton. Of course, now I’ll have to go all the way to Cherokee County to get a half cuban plate. mmm. black beans. mmmm. arroz amarillo. Making me hungray.

8. Three Jack says:

they’re back:

Havana Restaurant & Cafe.
    The owners of the popular Havana Sandwich Shop on Buford Highway which had a fire over the weekend, have opened this second restaurant in a strip shopping center in Canton. Choose from combo plates and Cuban sandwiches, drinks and desserts. Family-friendly; eat inside, on the patio or take it to go. 10:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays. 1850 Marietta Highway, Canton. 678-880-3393. Casual. Parking, outdoor dining, child-friendly, catering, smoking available. $.