This might just help him

More on Marshall’s vote.

One of the more dramatic moments of a stunning Monday in Washington occurred over the radio.

Rep. Jim Marshall, a Macon Democrat, had just cast his vote in favor of the $700 billion Bush administration proposal to rescue Washington.

Marshall is in a Republican-leaning district, with well-funded opposition. President Bush has weighed in against him.

The day before, at a caucus of Georgia Democrats, Marshall was adamant that he and other Democrats should support the measure.

I mentioned last night that this just might help him. The market crash last night, even though, percentage wise, it doesn’t even crack the top ten losses, spooked people.

History is already against the GOP — it being nearly impossible to keep the White House for three terms, and the GOP will lose seats in Congress — but I think history is also against incumbents this year. Still, Marshall standing up and doing what he thought was best might just resonate with people unless Goddard seizes on the moment quickly.

1. Everyone I’ve been talking too today, specifically independent/Marshall leaning voters are sort of angry about Marshall’s vote.

Granted, the area I’m covering is far more rural than most of the 8th.

2. rugby,

Naturally. I’ll freely admit that and that I have been working with the Goddard campaign. So take what I say with a grain of salt. I could very well have a very Republican leaning call list.

But I will say that I do not have such a vested interest in this that I’d concoct a lie about it. Marshall isn’t intolerable as a Representative and I actually voted for him over Collins in 2006.

3. Chris says:

Pelosi & Reid haven’t been in charge enough to be considered the incumbents. The GOP will bear the brunt of the anti-incumbent fever.

4. I think it is even less of that Chris, and more of the fact that very few people understand that Democrats control Congress. Present company not included, the average voter has a hard time grasping the fact that the President doesn’t make ALL of the Laws.

They are going to view all of this as GOP/Bush and the blowback is going to be directed at GOP candidates at every level. This is not to say that the Democrats won’t lose a few seats, but they won’t be as hurt by this as the GOP.

5. Ga Values says:

In a post below 1 of the GENERALS’s college boys admitts that the General is on Saxby’s team for the bail out. Net, net Marshall & the General’s position are the same.

6. MediaGuyAtl says:

The GOP is behind the eightball for sure. However, the MSM is in the tank for Obama and they continue to spin this crisis in favor of the Dems. So I’m not sure if this helps or hurts Marshall.

Dow UP 485! Great day for bargains.

The bill will pass the next time they bring it up. There is no way Pelosi brings this bill to the floor without knowing for sure that this stinker will pass.

Even the journalists in Boston knows whose fingerprints are on this crisis… Here is the link.

7. Toddrob says:

GA Values- Can you come up with one thing Marhsall has accomplished yet? or are you just content with sitting behind your computer screen in Marshall’s office and regurgitating lies?

get back to work and try and accomplish something.

8. Chris says:

Media Guy.

No, dow being up is a bad day for bargians. The good day for bargians was in the after hours market on Tuesday.

9. Doug Deal says:

Chris,

Bargains can be found anywhere. The biggest returns I have ever gotten in the stock market was the 2002-2003, when the tech bubble burst. How did I do it? I bought non tech stocks.

If you want to make money in any type of market, buy what others aren’t buying and sell what others are buying. Unfortunately most casual investors look at the daily performance of their stocks and make decisions based on emotional reactions. They want to get in on the big gainers and shun the losers, when often times the converse is how you make money.