Saxby clinging to his political life…

An independent poll is out that shows Jim Martin trailing Saxby Shameless by only two points. That’s right two. The poll also shows McCain’s lead over Obama to be at eight points.

Of course, I’m sure tomorrow Insider Advantage will be out with a new flawed poll to show that all is well and McCain leads by twenty and Saxby has actually already been re-elected.

H/T: AJC Political Insider and

1. ChuckEaton says:

I’ve never heard of SurveyUSA, so I can’t speak to it’s validity, but assuming they aren’t a bunch of partisans, I find it more interesting that Obama and Martin have identical numbers at 44%.

The fact they left out Barr in the Presidential race, but included the Libertarian in the Senate race is inconsistent. But it does show that a Libertarian in Georgia votes Republican if there is no Libertarian on the ballot.

2. North Ga Indy says:

Survey USA is actually the most accurate polling service in the country. Martin and Obama have identical numbers probably the same number of Liberals voted for their candidate of choice, which is Martin and Obama.

3. IndyInjun says:

I have been emailing and calling folks all day to remind them that Chambliss is a LIAR and a total fraud.

I am organizing everybody I know to boot this jerk out November 4.

4. StevePerkins says:

This is oftentimes true in my case, so long as the Republican in question isn’t too over-the-top on social issue pandering. However, if I’m unhappy with either of the two major party candidates in a given race (or even unfamiliar with them)… I simply leave that box blank.

You might be interested to take a look at election results sometime and add up how many people do go the NOTA route. I think it’s interesting that the Sec. of State’s reported numbers only show percentages of people who did check the box, rather than the percentage out of all ballots cast. In some races where super-safe incumbents run unopposed, the results show “100%”… but if you look at the raw numbers, only around 60% of voters actually voted for them.

NOTA *is* always an option, folks.

5. North Ga Indy says:

SUSA is the most accurate polling service in the country because it looks into all demographic groups. I happen to be supporting Chambliss over Jim “The Liberal” Martin.

6. Harry says:

I sure hope Saxby doesn’t lose but if he does, he can only blame himself for not being more independent of the lobbyist-driven establishment. His adherence to the DC bunch is a turn-off to many voters. There is no enthusiasm.

7. albert says:

Saxby ain’t gonna lose this. Jim Martin looks like a dork. Rarely will the public vote for a dork, if he is an incumbent.

Dorks can survive if they are the incumbent.

8. JamesStratfield says:

Trevor I’m glad you’re happy trumping push polls. And by the way InsiderAdvantage was the first poll to say that Martin was actually closer. So was that fake then or now?

Either way, Chambliss is going to win by at least 9 points. No conservative in Georgia is going to pull the lever for Jim Martin

9. albert says:

oops, I meant the public will rarely vote for a dork if he is the challenger, however, if the dork is an incumbent he is probably in safe territory. That is unless he/she screwed up in some way.

At any rate, Martin comes off looking like something out of the 50’s and 60’s. His ads bite and he has no real agenda.

So my anti-dork vote goes to Saxby.

10. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

I’m a life-long Republican; most down here would call me a RINO, but that’s OK…I take that as a compliment, considering what we have now representing us. The Christian Right ruined the party. I’ll vote McCain, then Ds after that.

11. I still think there should a federal investigation as to the possibility of Eugene or Herman Talmadge being Jim Martin’s close relative. He looks just like Eugene. Just not as charismatic.

12. Trevor Southerland says:

I think almost all polling data is off because it doesn’t take into account people that don’t have a home phone line (such as myself and many people in my generation and below.)

I didn’t mean to infer that Insider Advantage itself was fake, they just do a lot of Georgia polling… so I used their name.

I think it was Insider Advantage a couple of weeks ago that showed Obama down 16, and the next day SurveyUSA showed Obama only down 8… so I figured since today SurveyUSA shows the Senate race so close, tomorrow should be IA’s turn to show it a blow out.

It just goes to show you that polls are only worth as much as you want to believe they’re correct.

Personally, I was just tired of all the bail out talk on here and figured I’d throw out a poll about Georgia politics.

Sorry for pissing you off IA guys. 🙂

13. Back to the bailout:

The Senate will try tomorrow to buy the house votes needed to pass the bailout.
    I’m sure Saxby will vote for this.
    It does include some tax cuts but since Senator Schumer called it “a brilliant move”, it gives me great pause.
    Still no accountability, still rewarding those that either caused this mess or were asleep at the wheel while it occurred. And the taxpayers will still be on the hook for hundreds of BILLIONS of Dollars, if not TRILLIONS.
    Are they just incapable of getting it?

14. Ga Values says:

Looks like Saxby is going to earn the $1,322,000.00 that he got from Banks, Real Estate Companies, & Insurance Companies. McCain says COUNTRY FIRST, Saxby says LOBBYIST (especially Bo Chambliss) First.

15. atlantaman says:

“I think almost all polling data is off because it doesn’t take into account people that don’t have a home phone line (such as myself and many people in my generation and below.”

When the pollster decides how much of a sampling he wants to take from each demographic group, including age, and will keep calling people in that age group until he hits the appropriate sampling – how are “many people in my generation and below” not taken into account?

16. JRM2016 says:

I cannot wait for election day. This stuff about Georgia electing Jim Martin and Barack Obama….it is reminiscent of Hawaii fans claiming they weren’t getting enough respect before the Sugar Bowl. Please.

17. I rise not to defend Jim Martin, but rather, in defense of dorks (though the PC term is “nerd”). I define either as “soft-spoken and wonkish,” which describes Martin.

Vs. Herman Talmadge, Matt Mattingly was a nerd.
    Vs. Wyche Fowler, Paul Coverdell was a nerd.
    Vs. Bob Barr, John Linder was a nerd.
    Vs. Guy Millner, Roy Barnes was a nerd.
    Vs. anybody, Joe Frank Harris was a nerd.

Martin’s nerdiness may be his greatest advantage in a state with a rich history of nerd love.

18. Icarus says:

“Vs. Wyche Fowler, Paul Coverdell was a nerd.”

With all due respect to the departed Senator Coverdell, isn’t that like asking “who’s the biggest stud in the chess club?”

19. Game Fan says:

I wish Buckley had better stage presence. Anyhoo there’s lots of veins of conservatism outside the beltway who have been on their own for a long time. At least when we start flipping politicians the new guy will might have an adjustment period before he can get to know all the right scumbags and get his fangs into the American taxpayer. And what happened to the idea of term limits?

20. John Konop says:

Why not ad spending cuts! Why not a 10% cut back for all government agencies?

This would help the dollar and help stop the something for nothing mentality in WASHINGTON and MAIN STREET!

21. Chris says:

I wish Buckley had better stage presence, actual funding, and something resembling a track record in elective office.

Alas, he has none of that and serves as a sideline freak show.

22. TPNoGa says:

I haven’t lived in Ga for long (about 3 months), but I did read PeachPundit. I remember back in 2006, people posting that the fat guy Taylor was going to beat Sonny. Didn’t happen. If people didn’t vote Dem in 2006, I don’t think they will in 2008.

I am voting for McCain, Chambliss & Price (I actually have a GOP rep!)

I love being back in a red state.

23. Game Fan says:

Speaking of game mentality this crop of Republicans has been so stinking rotten reminds me of when the coach took the game film and just burned it. The idea that Reagan conservatism would triumph after a few years of this other crap was just wishful thinking. Some of you guys are just lost in your little rabbit holes.