Perdue Asked For EPA Waiver One Week After Kentucky

While our socialist Governor, Sonny “Chavez” Perdue, is spending the week in Spain, Italy, and Portugal (spending some time learning about how price controls can lead to shortages, maybe?), we learn about how when he was still in the country, how slow he was to ask the EPA to waive the requirement to sell reformulated gas in metro Atlanta.

Officials in Kentucky asked on Monday, Sept. 15, for a waiver from the Environmental Protection Agency to lift restrictions requiring special gas. It was granted the following day.

Virginia and Tennessee also asked for similar waivers after Hurricanes Gustav and Ike struck the Gulf Coast, knocking out oil refineries.

On Sept. 22, a week after Kentucky’s request, Gov. Perdue sent a letter to the EPA. The agency granted the waiver for Georgia the next day.

Not only have Sonny’s socialist price controls contributed to the problem by not allowing gas stations to charge a premium, and therefore help conserve the supply, but his slow footedness on asking for a waiver of the EPA restrictions have contributed to the lack of supply in the area.

By the way, I have 1/4th of tank left.

1. ButlerTReynolds says:

Thanks so much for your post. I was beginning to think that I was the only person on the planet who understands that

1. The widespread shortages and long lines are due primarily to Sonny’s price controls.

2. The severe supply problems are due to our insane custom blend of gasoline. ( Are all these custom blends really necessary? Can the difference in air quality as a result of this blend be scientifically measured?)

3. Sonny got caught with his panties down. He thought the problem would just blow over, so he dragged his feet on the waiver. Demagogues are used to the market bailing them out, but this time his price controls were too much.

I still think that he should have topped it all off by praying for gas on the capitol steps.

2. bowersville says:

If you believe price controls, green policies and the market bailing out liberal policies is a problem now.

Be patient, vote Obama, you’ll find out.

3. Icarus says:

Oil is down sharply, at $98, and gas is also down sharply, about $.25, to $2.43/gallon on nymex.

This continues to be a logistics problem, not a supply problem. The upside is, our local wholesale price appears to be among the highest in the country, so you would think that the refiners will make sure the gas in the pipeline stops here first.

4. Citizen Tom says:

I am no fan of this Governor, but I’m having difficulty equating his price controls with this shortage. We’ve already got some of the highest prices in the country (gasbuddy.com). I know the required blend raises the price, but is the artificial ceiling really the problem here? If it is, it puts another arrow in my anti-Sonny quiver, but what’s the source, other than anecdotal?

5. ButlerTReynolds says:

I think that part of our problem is our gasoline tax, which rises along with the price of fuel. Does anybody know the specifics on that?

Yes, there is a supply problem, but when you see such widespread outages and long lines at the gas stations and the price is not moving, then obviously there is a pricing problem.

6. Bill_k says:

Have price controls been implemented? I have not seen anything about it. There is a big difference between putting on a frowny face and grumbling about “gouging” and actually fixing the price of a commodity.

I have noticed that most of the stations in my area have settled on $4/gallon as the price for regular. Is that ‘fixing’ or ‘collusion’?

7. Bill Simon says:

Fixing to avoid the charge of “gouging.”

Had the price been allowed to rise to $5, $6, $7 per gallon, there would have been less purchased and people would have figured-out how to conserve.

As it stands now, all people know is that there’s been a little delay in supply getting to their local stations.

8. Icarus says:

The AJC has a story up saying that Delta, UPS, and the CDC have embraced telecommuting.

So, your Delta pilot and UPS delivery guy will be at home today. Delta may not be ready when you are.

And let’s just hope that the CDC folks that are telecommunting aren’t the germ specialists. I really, really hope they’re not allowed to bring their work home with them.

9. kcordell says:

Not only will we be driving to find gas, when Sonny gets back we’ll probably have to pay “tolls” to do it.

10. Old Vet says:

The price controls don’t apply to suppliers, just to the retailers, so unless they are one and the same, gas could go as high as the supplier wants to charge. The retailer would get the same mark-up which, by the way, is now high because the retailer saw the freeze coming and raised its prices over the then-current cost of inventory. In both instances, it’s to their benefit to sell more gas.
    I disagree with the entire concept of “price gouging” and price control, but that isn’t the reason for the shortage. A part of the reason can be seen on the shelves of Walmart, Home Depot, etc where the 5 gallon gas cans used to be before they were snapped up by hoarders.

11. Decaturguy says:

Be patient, vote Obama, you’ll find out.

It’s funny when the people that are in charge make such a big mess out of everything and then they point to the opposition and say they will make things worse.

I’m sorry, that argument has never worked.

But don’t worry, when Chavez Perdue gets back from Europe after learning some more about economic policy from the folks there I’m sure he will be able to solve all of our problems.

12. ButlerTReynolds says:

After George W. Bush, the Republican line of “but not as bad as a Democrat” rings kind of hollow.

I was thinking about it a little, trying to figure out why Sonny would have dragged his feet so long on asking for the waiver — given the political opportunist he is.

The only thing I can think of is that it just wasn’t on his Sonny Do list.

13. bowersville says:

DG, respectfully, I’m not making excuses.

There is no pie in the sky in Socialism. Be patient friend, vote Obama like I believe the majority of voters in this country will do.

14. Bill Simon says:

Butler,

Just because Sonny became a Republican in 1998, that didn’t actually change his ability to think beyond his previous 30 years of Bubba-Democrat mind.