No. There’s a better way.

I don’t like politicking from the pulpit.

The Rev. Jody Hice fired a verbal volley Sunday in a battle that he believes will return the United States to its American Revolutionary roots.

From his pulpit at Bethlehem First Baptist Church outside Atlanta, he urged his congregation to vote for Sen. John McCain and to not vote for Sen. Barack Obama.

He based his recommendations on McCain’s opposition to abortion and gay marriage and Obama’s support of those issues, Hice told the Barrow County church packed with about 400 listeners.

“These are not political issues,” Hice said. “There are moral issues.”

I don’t care whether you are a Republican or Democrat, I really don’t like politicking from the pulpit. While I also disagree with the IRS shutting preachers down, preachers should be about eternity, not the here and now.

Yes, I agree, abortion, etc. are moral issues. But frankly, in my travels around the country, the congregation is probably more in need of a sermon on why abortion is a moral issue than on who to vote for.

And I also think it confuses the message from the pulpit to wrap politics and morals up in the same sermon.

Bad form.

1. Chris says:

With the Government on track to spend a trillion dollars on a bailout this f–ktard moron really thinks gay marriage is an important issue.

I’ll pray for his god to take him off our hands now.

Gah! That —- pisses me off.

2. Doug Deal says:

Chris,

Abortion, don’t forget the holy grail of all important issues ever created in the history of important issues ever at the Federal level.

Can’t let abortion lovers use their devil inspired powers to reduce the size of government or pass tax reform. Much better to sit in an ever expanding minority and sulk.

3. bowersville says:

What was the taxpayers tab on the Ten Commandments in the Barrow County Courthouse?

Memory tells me $500K+. Patience wouldn’t allow zealots standing for the Lord to resist becoming martyrs at taxpayer expense.

Is this the same Jody Hice involved in the Ten Commandments issue and what is he going to cost taxpayers this time to become a national martyr in the name of the Lord.

4. StevePerkins says:

I have to agree. I’m part of the “unchurched” these days in my 30’s, but during my 20’s I went through a long phase of exploring different churches trying to find a home that fit.

I left a Protestant church because I got tired of all the pro-Republican rhetoric from the pulpit. I then left the Catholic church because I got tired of the weird blend of pro-socialism and anti-abortion rants.

I then spent time with Quaker and Unitarian denominations, where the theology is more loose. However, they just replace lockstep theological belief with lockstep political belief… it’s basically a MoveOn.org rally with hymnals.

I don’t have any disrespect toward the religious, but I’m massively turned-off by the organized religious. Too much of a social club and political group atmosphere.

5. Game Fan says:

Not a Church goer now, but coming up, I never recall getting preached to about who to vote for. It would be silly to think one political party had a monopoly on the God thing. Frank Harrington stuck with positive things outside of politics.

6. Doug Deal says:

Chris,

You do realize that there are TWO of them?

Whoever thought it was a good idea to derail the Reagan legacy to nationalize abortion is an idiot. Why not nationalize murder, theft and a whole host of felonies if that is such a good idea to have the Federal government poke its nose into the issue?

7. I don’t give a crap what you think about “politicking from the pulpit.” It’s unconstitutional to prevent pastors from preaching ANYTHING from the pulpit, and the only reason we have this stupid law on the books preventing it is because LBJ wanted to shut up religious leaders in Texas who opposed his election. He got this law passed, and we’ve been stuck with multiple violations of First Amendment rights ever since.

But folks don’t care, because hey, it shuts up them thar fundy-mental-ists, and that’s a good thing, right? Screw the Constitution, it’s just a g-d piece of paper.

If you don’t like “politicking from the pulpit” (you know, like all them thar pastors did before the Revolutionary War), then change churches if your pastor does it. Find some nice comfortable pew to snooze in, get your required genuflections in, and go back to the “real” world the other 6 days of the week (or, more likely, the other 363 days of the year).

Just stop trying to cram your “separation of God and government church and state” unconstitutional crap down the rest of America’s throat.

I look forward to this 50-year-old law finally being challenged all the way to the SCOTUS, and finally being tossed out on its rear like it deserves.

8. shrike071 says:

Taft – I don’t have a problem with the pulpit politics either. What I DO have a problem with is my tax dollars going to support those views, which is in-essence what is happening. These churches are under the 501 (c) (3) code and don’t pay taxes, which means that you and I take up the slack – thereby paying for them to spew their political stuff on Sundays.

9. “take up the slack”???????

Churches have NEVER had to pay taxes in this country, way BEFORE this 501(c)3 crap came along. “The power to tax is the power to destroy” — and government should NEVER be allowed to destroy churches, whether people agree with their views or not.

Don’t buy into the socialist lines, shrike – first they shut the pastors up, then they shut YOU up.

10. Bill Simon says:

TR,

I know this is going to be interpreted as you thinking I’m “anti-Christian”, but, really, if you want the power to politicize in a pulpit, let’s let the IRS revoke their tax exempt status, and politicize all you please.

11. Chris says:

Doug,

Yes I know there are two of them, but only one was alive 50 years ago. Only one could have had an abortion and spared the country from this (and many other) disasters.

12. bowersville says:

This is nothing more than Jody Hice trying to pick a fight for national attention.

Hice has been on the cable networks hoping the IRS would challenge him.

13. The IRS shouldn’t have the “right to revoke their tax exempt status.” Again, it’s the LBJ-inspired 501(c)(3) crap that created that status under law; before that whacked-out Dem pulled that fast one, churches had ALWAYS been “tax-exempt,” and I look forward to the day when (1) the c3 crap is declared unconstitutional, and (2) the IRS is abolished.

I’m always amazed at the “conservatives” that support LBJ’s sneaky underhanded political maneuvering in this day and age.

“Free exercise” is exactly that, FREE EXERCISE. If a church believes that they are to apply their faith to ALL areas of life, then for the government to attempt to STOP them, by whatever means (including levying “the power to destroy” against them), is an OBVIOUS violation of the First Amendment.

14. Light says:

Chris,
    This moron as you explain him to be first a foremost deserves to be described with respect just as he did on Sunday for both candidates. I attend this church and know him well. He doesn’t answer to any man but to the Lord. He following what he knows as the truth. As far as the bail out, go check out the article from The New York Time – Sept 30, 1999 and it is clear this &%#$*@ problem you say the ” should have been aborted 59 years ago” created was not really created by us Republicans but we inherited it from our ever wonderful “I can’t keep my pants on” Clinton Administration . Please refrain from showing your ignorance. Oh and your language needs some cleaning up. God Bless you and I hope when the lord returns you get to go too.

15. Bucky Plyler says:

I know Jody Hice and agree with his stand. It is interesting that many of you don’t want to hear anything from him or anybody like him. Where did your idea of tolerance go? Seems that it disappears with a preacher.

16. bowersville says:

My idea of tolerance went out the door with public grand standing.

Why go to the news media and cast pearls before swine?

What happened to shepherding the sheep? The Lord didn’t go to the news media and challenge Caesar. He went to the temple and challenged the Sanhedrin. The Lord was drug before the government and the Sanhedrin testified against him.

There is a difference.

17. Bucky Plyler says:

Bowersville. I live in Hart County so I guess that maybe you do too. Hope we can meet sometime.

So, if a preacher does anything before the media his motives are always wrong & tolerance goes out the door?

The Lord could have saved Himself alot of trouble during his earthly ministry if he did not take on the scribes & the Pharasees in public settings. Caesar ‘s gov’t was not the problem.

By the way, they really changed their minds about Him when He overthrew the money tables in the temple for the second time. (very public display) At that point, the Bible says the religious folks made up their minds that He had to go.

It could be that what Jody is doing is part of his responsibility to shepherd the sheep. If he is not doing that-then I agree with you that there is a difference.

Seems to me that you are quick to come to that conclusion. Why?