Petro Exec Urges Governor to Commit Political Suicide.

Read this from the Political Insider:

Bryant: This town explodes on game day weekends. The roads get clogged, people pour in from all corners. What are they going to find when they get here?

Pitfield: If I was governor, I’d cancel the game. That is just a huge amount of gasoline, that this structure, this system, this state cannot handle the expenditure on right now.

That gas needs to be used for people to go to work, and for people to take care of their families. I did the same thing with my tennis team yesterday. I told them that I wasn’t going to start wasting gas to go play tennis.

And I’m sorry. I know I’ve got a target on me right now by a couple hundred thousand football fans. Game should be canceled. People need to stay home…..

1. rebelyelp says:

Political suicide and stupid too. If the game were canceled, many of those who would have stayed home to watch the game on television would instead drive somewhere for their Saturday night entertainment.

The net effect would likely be to increase the amount of gas used this weekend.

2. Game Fan says:

This is a typical example of how the “control” crowd doesn’t always occupy seats of power within the government. This C.E.O. apparently has no knowledge or faith whatsoever in free markets or freedom. ZERO. And yet many of today’s “conservatives” will never (and I mean NEVER) criticize a corporation. So perhaps this C.E.O.s perception of Americans as “sheep” to be controlled is an apt viewpoint after all.

3. fishtail says:

Maybe Sonny is flying off to Europe to look for some dumb investors (suckers?) to take him out of his Disneyland land deal. Stan Thomas, Perdue’s pal who was the master developer on the project, has been foreclosed on. That makes Sonny’s swamp land worthless. Bye bye Sonny.

4. Three Jack says:

it will not be cancelled, but if by some wildass chance it does, i hope sonny speaks french. in fact, stay over there either way.

5. Tekneek says:

Who cares? If people cannot afford to drive to football games, they shouldn’t drive to football games. If the football team cannot afford transportation to the game, then forfeit. Everybody has options.

6. atlantaman says:

It has nothing to do with the affordibility. As stated before, due to price gouging measures to keep gas “affordable” we are running out of supply.

7. Tekneek says:

If they cannot find gas, then they don’t go to the game. I still don’t see what the uproar is about. SEC allows for forfeiture if a team doesn’t show up, right? And fans can either spend their limited fuel supply going to football games, work, or something else. They have choices and options.

8. Game Fan says:

Sure
    It’s an economic decision made by individuals. The people further away may tend to opt to “telecommute”. This might open up some seats for those within walking distance or who don’t have to drive so far. Also you might see more bikes, motorcycles, skateboards, unicycles, and those shoes with springs on the bottom. And uh, I don’t know where these cats have been but Athens has always sort of shut down on game day. But I”m not hearing any complaints. (from Athens)

9. kcordell says:

After Alabama gets through with them they may wish they had cancelled the game. Go Jackets!

On a more serious note: the SEC is not going to give up the revenues from a nationally televised game. Especially one this big.

10. Bill Simon says:

Actually…I think Tex is not seeing this right….if all the UGA fans go streaming to UGA and the gas stations there run-out…and, they cannot get back home for a week or so…that just means there will be LOTS more fuel available everywhere else because those drivers will be stuck in Athens waiting for a tanker truck.

11. umustbekidding says:

Let me just say, don’t come looking in Gainesville for gas because we don’t have ANY.

If you want to go to the game, go on a full tank because you won’t be able to fill up there.

12. atlantaman says:

Perdue’s spokesman said this, “If everybody stops filling up every day, we can get back to normal demand.”

Isn’t demand a function of how many miles you drive, which I assume hasn’t changed, and not how many times you top your tank off?

I know we touched on this before, but we are now almost two weeks into the crisis and at some point whether people choose to fill a whole tank up once or top a 1/2 of a tank off twice becomes irrelevant.

13. The Comma Guy says:

The problem would be that it’s not just UGA fans who would be stuck in Athens. There’s going to be a few ‘Bama fans showing up for the game too.

Also shocked that no UGA fans/students have edited Tex’s wikipage as of yet.

14. rugby fan says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *snort*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Maybe Perdue should have canceled the game!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

“They’re going to a [expletive] funeral!”

What foresight!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

41-30 (really 41-17).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

15. rugby fan says:

Does this mean Vanderbilt is now the favorite to win the SEC East?

May I also say, for the record, Vandy has no athletic department!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!