Obama Campaign: There are 17 Battleground States (including Georgia)

According to a report from CNN, the Obama campaign has highlighted 17 battleground states for 2008, and they do include the state of Georgia.

In a Web video sent to supporters Wednesday, Obama campaign manager David Plouffe displayed an Electoral College map that included 17 battleground states, including new targets like Montana, North Carolina and Virginia – and Georgia, where the redeployment of staffers elsewhere in recent weeks had raised questions about the campaign’s determination to make a play for this traditionally red state.

Plouffe also highlighted registration numbers in Pennsylvania and Nevada — two major electoral prizes where new Democrats far outpace new Republicans, or where the GOP has actually dipped into negative registration numbers (meaning the party now has fewer members than it did when the year began.)

The Campaign for Change in Georgia also sent the following e-mail to supporters today:

You may have seen reports in the past week that the Obama campaign is shifting resources from Georgia to other battleground states. I want to assure you today that while the campaign will continue to make strategic decisions about the best use of resources, Georgia is still very much a battleground state.

Today we have more than 30 field offices all across the state, with two more opening just last weekend. Dozens of field organizers are working to organize thousands of active volunteers on a daily basis. In fact, our volunteer base in Georgia is one of the most active of any Campaign for Change in the country. Over Labor Day weekend, Georgia Campaign for Change volunteers registered more than 32,000 new voters. These new voters were registered not by paid field organizers, but by regular Georgians like you that volunteered for change. More than 4,000 volunteers participate on a daily basis – registering new voters, hosting house parties, or phonebanking and canvassing for change. Our huge volunteer organization will allow us to run the largest ground game Georgia has ever seen.

Georgia is a battleground state, and we need your help to turn it blue. With less than 50 days until we make history (and less than three weeks to register voters), we need everyone who is ready for change to pitch in and lend a hand. Please visit http://ga.barackobama.com to join the campaign and show America that Georgia is ready for change.

1. Jane says:

Obama has enough money to spend some in Georgia without hurting his over all campaign. However, he is going to get less than 40% of the vote. Whites are going to be just as energized as Black voters. However, very few moderate Whites will vote for Obama. McCain will get the majority of the White vote in Clayton, and Dekalb County. He will also do extremely well among rural Democrats. No among of money is going to convince White moderate Democrats that a Chicago machine politician cares about them. No amount of money is going o convince Rural democrats than a Chicago Machine politician understands agriculture. So go ahead and spend the money, it s not going to do Obama much good.

The last Democrat to carry Georgia was Bill Clinton 12 years ago. Obama is more radical than Clinton and Georgia today is more Republican. Obama may win, but not by carrying Georgia.

2. Doug Deal says:

Jane,

There is some argument that McCain will have more or about an equal amount of money to spend the last month and a half. McCain needs to spend $0 to get his $80 million from the Feds. Obama needs to burn cash to raise it, but the amount raised is reported, not the profit.

From what I have heard, Obama’s fund raising expenses are around 35% and have been higher during some periods in the past.

So, if he raised $66 million in August, at 65% profit, he would be left with about $43 Million, which is not much more than McCain has to spend per month out of his free money.

Secondly, the RNC has about a 10 to 1 cash on hand advantage against the DNC.

I cannot vouch for these numbers, as I have gotten them second hand, but it just may indicate that Obama has no real cash advantage.

3. SavannahDem says:

I don’t have the info from the public file, but he’s all over Savannah TV. I see his ads all the time. He ran the “Maverick” ad twice during NBC news last night.

I see McCain and Martin on TV here – no one else. I’d say the McCain buy is at least 50% more than the Martin buy, but that’s an guestimate.

4. Rogue109 says:

Some of what you’re seeing could have been a national ad buy if it was during the NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams (although there are a few slots for local ads, too). If it was during the local news program, then you’re probably right that it was a local ad buy only. Just a thought.

5. SavannahDem says:

Rogue –

Good point on the national buy. I was referring to the Nightly News. I’ll pay closer attention tonight. Although I normally don’t get home in time to watch the local news.

Are you Atl people seeing ads. That would also answer the question…

Nick –

There’s no way it’s a N. Fl. buy. That’d be Jacksonville stations.

6. My kin folks call me Nick says:

Jane,

You seem to be pretty confident in your predictions. Could you help me out with the powerball numbers?

It has been said many times that this will be an election like non other. I don’t see moderate whites just throwing up their hands and voting for McCain. What whites will be energized? I don’t know of a lot of white voters who are just elated to vote for McCain.

You talk about what white voters and black voters will do and then give Obama’s Chicago ties as your ratinalization. Do you really think that? I mean there are reasons to vote for and against Obama but Chicago machine?

Well, I guess if you can’t talk about issues, you talk about BS.

7. TPNoGa says:

Before Ga Dems get too excited, I remember Reps in Ca believing Bush could carry the state. Just cause you think it will happen, doesn’t mean it actually will….sorry.

Also, last polls I saw had Minnesota tied, yet it’s not indicated on the map as a battleground. Interesting, Obama has either taken Mn for granted, or he has given up.

8. Doug Deal says:

TONoGa,

Some of that is to get voters to the polls to vote in their Representative races. For some reason, voters who think their candidate has a chance are more eager to voter than those who think their candidate is going to be blown out.

9. TPNoGa says:

Ah, makes sense to me. I was a precinct captain on the west side of LA (uber-liberal). I never bought the whole (if we can get 39% of LA County, we win CA). HA! But I guess if people feel their candidate has no shot, why vote at all. I voted just to tick off all my lib friends.

10. IndyInjun says:

With the financial meltdown caused by 8 years of George W. Bush and the pain all over Georgia from the governor’s slashing of local revenue rebates, the only reason Obama won’t carry Georgia is racism.

Sure the man is promising all manner of new social programs, but Bush has spent all of the money for the next 3 decades on bailouts and a pointless war, so how mcu damage can Obama do?

McCain on the other hand admits to be utterly clueless about the economy or finance (He clearly professed ignorance in the debates with Ron Paul.)

Folks all over are taking a gander at impending financial doomsday, pondering a continuation of Bush policies, and forgetting that Obama is black.

11. Progressive Dem says:

I have to believe Georgia is a longshot for Obama, but he is still in the drivers seat to win this election.

If he wins the Kerry states (which isn’t a slam dunk, but very doable) and Iowa and New Mexico (which are pretty solid); Obama needs only one of the following 5 states: Co, Va, Oh, Fl, or NC. Less likely states that would also tip the election to Obama are Missouri and Indianna.

The national polls are leaning back his way this week.

12. TPNoGa says:

Pro Dem,

I see your point. But McCain has a shot at NH, MN, PA, WI and to a lesser extent OR & MI. Keeping IA will be tough for McCain. I think he has a better than 50% shot at retaining CO, VA, OH, FL and NC.

It will all come down to the debates IMO. We could have a moment happen to either candidate in the debates that seals it for the other. Who knows. As long as the two are within 10% of each other, I think the debates decide this.

On another note: Why does it have to be racism? I could be that Obama is just too liberal for GA to accept. I mean both Gore and Kerry lost handily here and they were both white. They were just too liberal, and Obama is a lot more liberal than either one of them.

One more note to Icarus: GO GATORS!!!!

13. TPNoGa says:

Icarus,

If it makes you feel any better, my favorite team is Baylor, where I did my undergrad. So, have I not suffered enough?

14. boyreporter says:

It doesn’t have to be about race, but it is. If Obama wins, it will be in spite of states like GA, which just can’t seem to get beyond its wool-hat segregationist boys, even if they wear nice suits now…or at least, neat Dockers and tasseled loafers (sockless of course)… and hang out at the golf course. More evolved states such as NC might go for him, along with enough of the more obvious suspects, for a win. But we’ll reliably continue to vote against our own best interests, as old habits die hard.

Gore and Kerry lost here because they were perceived as sissies, and everybody knows real men don’t use their minds.

15. IndyInjun says:

“I’m saying Baylor isn’t a school.”

Either that or it ain’t Baptist……no football playing school is permissible without beer drinking…..or do the Baptist dunk folks in it?

16. Rogue109 says:

If Obama were running against George W. Bush and Sonny Purdue, then such a theory might have merit. Unfortunately, it’s John McCain who is running against Obama.

17. TPNoGa says:

Baylor is the world’s largest Southern Baptist university. Founded in 1845 by the Republic of Texas. Located in beautiful Waco, Texas.

Football team has a new football coach, Coach Briles. The basketball team has come back from a huge scandal to play in the 2008 NCAA tournament. The women’s basketball team won the national championship a couple years ago as well as the men’s tennis team.

Baylor alumni have won either gold or silver in the 400 meters in each of the last four olympics (Jeremy Wariner & Michael Johnson). There were four Baylor alumni in the 2008 summer olympics.

Baylor is a great university and I am proud to be an alumni.

18. boyreporter says:

alumnut, major and minor in preachin’. And sending missionaries oveerseas, ’cause there aren’t any pressing needs in Tay-ecks-sizz.

19. Jane says:

In my book there are only four swing states.
    MI, VA, OH, PN. Three are going to be tough for McCain to win and McCain has to win two to win. OH will be much tougher than normal for a Republican and there is not sure thing in Virginia either. But in the end Georgia and few deep south states will be even close to being in play.

20. IndyInjun says:

“such a theory might have merit. Unfortunately, it’s John McCain who is running against Obama.”

UNFORTUNATELY indeed, for McCain admitted that he knows zilch about the economy and finance, then proceeded to pronounce the economy ‘strong.’

The GDP has been negative for several quarters now if the LIARS in the administration used their own inflation figures in the calculation instead of the ridiculous, laughable 1% inflation.
    McCain is LYING.

He must still need old Charlie Keating to lead his thinking.

21. Rogue109 says:

A 13WMAZ/SurveyUSA political poll of likely Georgia voters shows Republican Presidential candidate Sen. John McCain with a wide lead in Georgia over Democratic candidate Sen. Barack Obama, by a margin of 57 percent to 41 percent.

The poll also shows Senator Saxby Chambliss, a Republican, with a wide lead over Democratic challenger Jim Martin, 53 percent to 36 percent. Libertarian candidate Allen Buckley won significant support as the favorite of 8 percent of likely voters polled.

22. If Montana is in play, it’s because the Constitution Party there (which parted ways with the national party) has placed Ron Paul on the ballot (despite his wishes to the contrary). The same thing happened in Louisiana, where the “Louisiana Taxpayers Party” put him on. Dr. Paul beat McCain in the Montana GOP primary (he also beat him in Louisiana, though the GOP effectively took it away from him), and could win enough “protest” votes in both states to hand it to Obama.

Oh, and let’s not forget the fiasco in Nevada, where McCain also lost big time behind Ron Paul.

If we had a Republican running for president, there wouldn’t BE any real “battleground” states against this Marxist on the other side. That’s what the GOP gets for nominating a Democrat for President.

23. jkga says:

Jane-

I don’t know much about Clayton County, but you’re totally off base in saying that most white voters in DeKalb will vote for McCain. Obama got 113000 votes for 76% of the Democratic primary vote in DeKalb, which is 54% African-American. Assuming all the black vote went to him (not strictly true) then about 32000 whites voted for him in the primary. Hillary got 34000 votes. I’d say 80% (probably more) of those voters will favor Obama, especially since Palin is taking a nose-dive. Taking those groups together, I get 59,200 white votes for Obama. Compare this with 36,579 votes for *all the Republican candidates combined.*

I doubt Obama can take Georgia, but I think he’ll clean up in DeKalb, and do significantly better than Kerry did (72.6%).

24. Doug Deal says:

Taft,

Sadly, because of the apathy of GOP voters at holding the GOP leadership to the fire since 2000, a Democrat running as a Republican was the only hope the GOP had at winning this cycle.

Those idiots who tied their ships to George Bush in 1999 and who effectively forced everyone but McCain out before the primaries even really started are to blame for a lot of what is happening now. George Bush was/is a huge mistake. Not only because of him, but because of the horrible people he surrounded himself with, and his own lack of good judgment.

Then, the GOP’s fears of losing Congressional power allowed them to cave in to program after program that went against pretty much everything fiscal conservatives stood for.

With the mismanagement by the Republican leadership over the last 7 years, McCain is the best and last hope to prevent an overwhelming leftist turn. Perhaps this all will be a lesson for the party insiders about getting behind the leader early in the name of party unity.

25. TPNoGa says:

“TP,

So what about the Beer?

Drunk?

Or Dunked?”

We partied at Baylor. I drank plenty at Baylor. We were allowed to drink, just not on campus. Plus, the drinking age was 19 back then.

26. Icarus says:

I’m going to go out on a limb here, but something tells me your definition of a party, and my definition of a party, aren’t the same definition of a party.

27. TPNoGa says:

Hey, I partied with the best and worst of them. I can hold my own. Remember, there were lots of preachers’ kids.

28. GOPeach says:

My bet….

Right after the VP debate on Oct. 2 –
    Biden drops out because of – “HEALTH ISSUES” ( wink wink) And Hillary comes back.

This is the dirty trick that the dems will pull. I know it. THEN – McCain and Palin will prevail!!!

“GOPeachhere” – get a life.

29. Jane says:

A significant portion of the White Dems in Dekalb are Jewish. McCain will make more inroads with them then Bush did. Left feminists and Stonewall Dems will support Obama, but no other significant White Dem groups. Will McCain carry Fulton, Clayton or Dekalb? No, but he will do better there then when Bush ran.