For Pete’s Sake Vote Early

AJC: Vote early, nervous election officials urge Georgians

Some county elections officials have predicted that turnout could top 90 percent. In August alone, more than 99,000 people registered to vote in Georgia and registrars expect many more to sign up before the Oct. 6 deadline.

“We’re going to have a whole bunch of people register to vote and they need to take advantage or absentee voting,” said Linda Latimore, head of elections in DeKalb County.

If they don’t, and “all these people show up on election day, they’ll be in line from Nov. 4 to Dec. 25,” Latimore said. DeKalb County is training more than 3,000 poll workers to get ready.

“All of us are nervous,” said Lynne Ledford, who runs Gwinnett’s elections office. “We do everything we can to make sure people do vote.”

1. odinseye2k says:

NINETY percent?!?! Wow … I almost don’t care who wins at that point. That’s just an amazing outpouring of democracy.

2. Burdell says:

Seriously, if these people couldn’t be bothered to vote any other time, do I really want them diluting my vote?

3. StevePerkins says:

turnout could top 90 percent

Sure… with Barr taking 40% and Cynthia McKinney pulling down 30%.

I’ll believe it when I see it. I predict turnout somewhere in the high 50’s.

4. Doug Deal says:

I agree with you, but I would stop at maybe 55%. Historically, the Presidential voter turnout was low 40’s, but with early voting and such, I think 50%ish is the new set-point.

People make the mistake of looking at the higher turnout in the presidential preference primary. 90% of the years, it makes no real difference in one or both races. Even with it being heavily contested, the primary was still only about 30%.

5. odinseye2k says:

“90% isn’t an outpouring of democracy if it’s a one-time thing. It’s an outpouring of ignorance.”

Hmmm … if I wasn’t a Democrat, I’d be allowed to argue that’s an elitist sentiment.

6. Old Vet says:

I always vote by absentee ballot and can’t imagine why anyone bothers to go to the polls in person. It costs fifty cents postage, PLUS there’s a paper trail of how I voted, for whatever that is worth. After 46 years of voting, the politicizing of the voting process makes me trust the system less and less.

7. DeacfromGA says:

84% turnout in 2004, so 90% isn’t out of the question, although on the higher end of most turnout guestimates.

I’m thinking 85%.

8. Doug Deal says:

I would love to know where you got that number. GA’s voter turnout was about 55% in the last presidential. So unless you mean the turnout was 85% among the top 65% most likely to vote, then you are way wrong.

9. GreenAllTheWay says:

Buzz, if you want your thoughts to be taken seriously, try using a legit news source. Evryone knows that teh AJC loves to distort the truth, using misquotes and old news.

10. joe says:

Shep (and no, Cobb does not need a FPP just because it is Cobb),

Have you tried a SASE with a money order for $27.50? If that doesn’t get you a Georgia Peach, send the money order (and your vote) to me. I have a bunch of old stickers.