Rep. Kingston’s “ideas” to conserve gas

Missed this earlier, but it’s worth a mention. U.S. Congressman Jack Kingston visited Baxley on Wednesday, Aug. 20. Kingston was the guest speaker at the Baxley-Appling County Chamber of Commerce’s Quarterly Luncheon. He was speaking about the gasoline supply and price. He made the usual talking points (ANWR, offshore drilling, etc.), but then also went onto say more.

He also shared ideas about how the government and citizens could help to conserve and reduce the demand for oil. Ideas include reducing the speed limit, eliminating drive-through windows, possibly eliminating Saturday postal delivery, purchasing more energy efficient vehicles, etc.

Yeah. Be sure to check your tire pressure, too, guy. According to the article, Kingston has an energy survey he is asking citizens to fill out and mail back to him. If you would like more information about this survey, please call his office at 202-225-5831 or visit his website at kingston.house.gov.

1. Chris says:

Yup, Lets have the government pass more laws making things criminal. Brilliant idea you %$#@%#.

Its the likes of you that have lost the GOP the majority. I hope you lose your job too.

2. I think you guys are being to hard on him. Doing things to conserve gas on a voluntary basis is a good idea. I’ve consolidated errands during the work week and yes I’ve even checked the air pressure in my tires. Some of Jack’s ideas sound stupid but don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Government is inherently wasteful so I want to see them tighten their belt for a change.

I’ll give you an example: A recycling company moved in next door to us. They take used lunch trays from the school system, recycle them and return them to the school system. Sounds fine so far. Here’s the problem: Gwinnett County Schools send these trays over in rather large trucks, but the trays are stored in small compartments on the side of the trucks – the bed of the truck is completely empty. These trucks make dozens of trips a day delivering small bags of lunch trays. Why not load up two, maybe three trucks a day and save some money?

3. Doug Deal says:

Buzz,

He is not suggesting things to be “voluntary”, he is suggesting that they be outlawed.

Which of these is “voluntary”?

reducing the speed limit
    eliminating drive-through windows
    eliminating Saturday postal delivery

All of these are policy changes by the government, not suggestions.

4. I think we should increase the speed limits.

If I could get where I was going faster, I would have my engine running less time, which would imply that I’m using less gas.

I’ll try to save the planet one 90 MPH speed trap at a time.

5. Common Sense says:

Yeah Buzz you hate America.

It’s time we end speed limits. If schools don’t like people driving by them at 100 mph they’ll move….THE MARKET AT WORK!

And talk about increasing government waste–why would we eliminate a day that the postal service delivers. Lets decrease the size of government—add Sunday delivery!

6. Doug Deal says:

Common Sense,

I know you only purpose is to post meaningless flames, but which of those is a voluntary solutions. I can post a dictionary link to voluntary if you need it. For understanding it, well, you are on your own.

7. drjay says:

“He also shared ideas about how the government and citizens could help to conserve and reduce the demand for oil”

clearly he means both gov’t and citizens–obviously the speed limit would be gov’t as would postal service issues–which frankly -eliminating or charging a premium for saturday delivery sounds like a good idea to me–the drive thru thing could be either–yes gov’t could outlaw them which would be stupid–or people could choose not to use them, businesses could cease to offer them–the public is very capable of “eliminating them” in as ense w/out gov’t help…

8. drjay says:

and #4 on that list was buying more energy efficient vehicles–which would also be a voluntary citizen driven action–unless of course the gov’t were to mandate that we buy them

9. Common Sense says:

I’m clearly not intrested in a debate on the word voluntary. My point is more broadly aimed at the GOP’s divide on energy solutions.

Some are being reasonable—Kingston and our senators for example—and others are being ideological. Checking your tire pressure? A good idea. The speed limit is inheirantly a government issue, unless you propose removing it. By lowering it to 55 we will in a matter of months do more than offshore drilling would ever do. Which isn’t to say we shouldn’t do both.

Energy policy is of course a matter of government policy combined with private choice. By rejecting some of the most significant solutions you are dooming us to being religated to a oil ATM.

(all of that being said, government banning of drive throughs is absurd on a federal level and perfectly acceptable on a municiple level)

10. jsm says:

“By lowering it to 55 we will in a matter of months do more than offshore drilling would ever do.”

You’d also provide a lot of frustration for people like me who can’t find a job in their own community and have to commute 40 miles each way. Driving 55 would increase my commute time to an unreasonable level and force me to either work some crappy job in my community with a serious pay cut or move into a house I don’t want and can’t afford near the office.

I’d like to know how many school systems, maintenance departments, fire & rescue departments, etc., are running biodiesel in their buses and trucks. This is the kind of thing government can mandate to make a difference, especially with the unnecessary miles some of these vehicles are driven. And we all know there’s a vast supply of leftover chicken fat in Georgia.

I could easily do without Saturday mail delivery. In fact, I could probably live with a Monday-Wednesday-Friday delivery schedule.

11. Doug Deal says:

dr jay,

I know it is a lot easier to argue with straw men, but I left buying more energy efficient vehicles off for a reason.

Common Senseless,

Say to you regarding straw men. As far as energy conservation goes, I am probably one of the best I know in that regard. I live 5 miles from work (get gas once every three weeks), keep my heat off most of the winter and rarely turn on lights. I actually do the things voluntarily that others just give lip service to. However, I am strongly against having the government try to live all of our lives for us.

The single biggest handicap, which trumps all other issue in energy, is our reluctance to proceed at full speed on nuclear power. Any tinkering in any other way pretending that there is another solution to the bulk of energy problems is a fool’s errand.

12. RuralDem says:

Amazing how the view is shaped by party. If one party proposes an idea, it’s viewed as “mandatory” and vilified, however, as long as a member of your party proposes the exact same thing, it’s considered “being to hard on him” if that person is criticized.

That’s the problem with our country. Party loyalty trumps fixing major issues.

13. plainjane says:

I think Congressman Kingston is right on target. Change does start with the consumer. I have found myself driving slower and it definitely helps. His idea of ways we can contribute to solutions is a suggestion of a change in behavior and a way we can keep government from having to do ALL of our thinking for us. If you know anything about what is really going on in Washington, you would know that only people like Congressman Kingston and fellow GOP colleagues are debating effective legislation. Our own speaker of the house has constantly shot down energy proposals and left the minute August recess began to promote the book she just wrote. In the meantime, Republicans stayed behind in Washington to press for immediate action which is what we need. High oil prices have went on far too long.

14. Chris says:

CS

We don’t. We take the oil we’re sending to power plants and refine it in to diesel and gas. We take the natural gas we use to run power plants and put it into CNG cars. Energy is Energy.

15. I’ll echo what Buzz said. We can’t be myoptic in our approach to energy and their are TWO ways to bring down energy prices:

1. Increase suppy, and
    2. Decrease demand

It’s no good increasing the supply if demand will increase too. I understand China and India are consuming more, but we still use more energy than both. Conservation IS NOT THE SOLUTION, but, it must be part of any realistic solution.

I don’t think that all of the ideas for conservation Jack was bringing up involved the government shoving them down our throat, but there should be some government action as well. You can’t get rid of Saturday mail delivery without a bill to do it. One less day of junk mail!

16. Doug Deal says:

Common Sense,

If you have excess nuclear, you can covert that energy into liquid fuel in any number of ways (with some loss of energy). One way is to use electolysis on water to create hydrogen (which can be compressed and used as fuel) and another way is to super heat almost anything and break it down to its constituent parts.

The second type of approach is not neccessarily efficient, but with a fully nuclear economy, excess energy during off peak times will be in abundance, as nuclear plants prefer to run at a constant level.

17. Doug Deal says:

Icarus,

I have not seen that many in Geogia (the only one I have seen was in Savannah), but in Ohio they have a large number of drive-thru alcohol sales places. You actually drive through the building and someone comes to your window to take the order.

So not *all* drive thru’s are bad.

18. Coastal NC, around Kitty Hawk, has tent like structures called “brew thrus” where you drive under the tent (kind of like a self service car wash), each side is lined with beer fridges, and they put whatever you want in your car. We need to put a rider on the Sunday alcohol sales bill to allow these, too.

19. Doug Deal says:

Icky,

I am still waiting for the beer vending machines. Or something like one of those coffee/coco vending machines that can whip up a mixed drink. Select from column A for spirit, column B for mixer and select options for ice or double.

20. Doug Deal says:

Send royalties to

Douglas Napolean Caesar Alexander Deal III, esq.
    1 Easy Street
    Macon, GA 31212

Remember $1,000,000 is spelled One Million Dollars + 00/100!!! with three exclamation marks.

21. Chris says:

Dang it. I accidentally released some spam clean out the queues.

I’m going to blame my alternate personality Icarus, he was in control at the time.

(my considers selling this idea to the Nicols’s defense team).