Let’s Boycott Whole Foods Because They Care

LOL. This one is rather bizarre.

How about going to Whole Foods and suggesting they direct the money elsewhere?

UPDATE: Because some people decided to complain instead of boycott, Whole Foods has cancelled helping the homeless.

1. Jmac says:

This Atlanta Business Chronicle piece gives some good background on the shelter, but this gets at a difficult position for most folks.

Homeless shelters deal with varying populations with some shelters, such as the one I serve as president of the board of directors for, focusing on families who have entered crisis situations (i.e. lost a job, suffered an injury that prevented them from working, fire or damage to a house, spouse leaving, etc.) while others focus on providing care to chronic homelessness.

The latter is a substantially smaller percentage of the daily homeless population, but it also tends to be the one that is more aggressive and threatening (in some instances mental illness plays a role in this). Of course, this is the one that is most in need of care, which is why shelters like Peachtree-Pine are, in theory, much needed.

It appears that Peachtree-Pine had its own challenges it was dealing with stemming from some poor management issues. The question I’m trying to find an answer to is if the shelter was taking steps to put those it served on a pathway to independence and working to develop a multi-use setting to combat poverty and homeless, why wouldn’t that be something worth supporting?

2. heroV says:

Jmac, in my opinion, the question you’re trying to find an answer to is not answered how you would hope with respect to Peachtree-Pine. This particular shelter does little to put people on the pathway to independence. Instead, I do not believe the shelter addresses the root causes of the homelessness of its “occupants.” It basically provides a pitstop in the form of a place to crash and some food to eat without regard to what its “patrons” are doing once they leave (or even once inside).

This is not to say the shelter is corrupt or malevolent by any means, just that they are not solving the problem, they are exacerbating it.

3. atlantaman says:

Liberals love to help homeless people unless the shelter is in their backyard. It’s much easier to put a donation in the meter than to deal with the fact that homeless people, generally, have a lot of problems. It’s the Liberal / NIMBY paradox.

4. Rick Day says:

I did not support this ‘boycott’. Although I have ‘issues’ with ‘homeless’ in ATL, I felt singling out the few ‘problem occupants’ as the norm is like pointing to Timothy McVey and saying all Christians are terrorists.

5. Jmac says:

heroV, I don’t disagree. Doing a little more research, it appears the shelter didn’t have a good policy for security in place, nor did it have the necessary components or programs to assist the population.

And ‘places to crash’ are necessary too, but they just need to have a good security component in place.

It’s the Liberal / NIMBY paradox.

It’s the universal paradox my friend, particularly since Peggy Denby, the president of the Midtown Security Alliance, is a Republican.

6. John Konop says:

This is a problem with many moving parts.

We cannot afford nor does it solve the problem for us to use the jail or prison system for homeless people.

A shelter for people to only crash is a safety issue for all involved as well as not being a solution.

The problem range from mental illness, abuse, drug addicts, unemployment, underemployment……..

Many of the above problems like mental illness we have no easy answers. It is no simple task to teach a person with mental illness to fish. And the abuse and drug addict problem is no walk in the park especially when the adult has children.

Also we have declining tax revenue and real wages which makes money tough to find to invest in any solutions.

7. Rick Day says:

JMAc, I agree I chuckled at the thought of God’s Great Midtown Social Engineer ™ as being ‘liberal’ about anything.

Makes me chuckle a bit more…NIMBY = liberal.

8. heroV says:

The Atlanta Gateway Center approaches the problem in a much better way by trying in earnest to help people achieve independence. You can’t get everyone back on their feet, but the community is served by every person that you do. I would have no problem with the Gateway Center in my neighborhood, though neither shelters are very to close to me in Garden Hills.