Cagle will study run for governor

And so it begins.

Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle took the initial steps on Tuesday to begin a bid for governor in 2010.

The Chestnut Mountain Republican announced formation of an exploratory campaign committee and began the process that will allow him to accept campaign contributions.

I really like Casey and could certainly support him for Governor. But I’ve got to be honest, I think I’d support Karen over Casey. It’s nothing against Casey, I know Karen and Steve better and really think she’d be a class act as Governor.

That said part of me hopes she stays Secretary of State. I know at the partisan level she hacks off the Democrats. But, from personal experience, I have to say I never thought anyone could improve the corporations division beyond what Cathy Cox had done. In fact, I voted for Cathy Cox repeatedly because I thought she was such a great Secretary of State.

But Karen has managed to make improvements even at the Corporations Division, which says a great deal positive about her management of the office.

1. Mike Hauncho says:

I’ve always liked Cagle and would consider voting for him depending on who all gets in the race. The one problem I have is that after two years in office his speeches are the same and he has limited ideas. He certainly is the nicest guy in the race but that only goes so far. To what Erick was saying, I think karen is sharp, aggressive, and has the potential to be a great governor. It will be a tough choice. Also, I wish we could settle these decissions before they get on the ballot as I would hate to see the SoS office, the Lt. Governor, Insurance Commissioner, possible congressional seats, and who knows what else come open all at the same time. While Republicans hold the majority, too many moves like this can put them right back where they were.

2. Dantes says:

Very unlikely Cagle actually finishes this race. Too much dirt on the guy.

Karen Handel is by far the best candidate for the job.

Hope she’s ready. It’s going to be a huge fight!

3. umustbekidding says:

Cagle sure wouldn’t win on “Are you smarter than a 5th grader” which is why I would not vote for him. I want politicians that are smarter than I am. 😉

4. Progressive Dem says:

Me too. We’ve seen the impact of voting for the guy you would rather have a beer with. So which non college graduate will the Republicans choose – Cagle, Handel or Westmoreland?

5. Jane says:

Handel have the appearance of not being a social conservative. She has done a good job, but she needs to shore up her conservative street cred.

6. North Ga Indy says:

umustbekidding is 10 years old and interested in politics. Heck, younger than I was and I was 12 when I got interested in politics. And nothing against Cagle, but I’ve looked at this one for a long time and I am throwing my full support behind Oxendine.

7. bowersville says:

Karen needs to shore up her social conservative credentials? I thought Stephens pulled that rabbit trick out of the hat in the SoS race.

It didn’t work then and it won’t work now on Karen. I’m not comparing the two directly. But has anybody ever heard of Palin and noticed how difficult it is for a national campaign to handle a strong willed woman?

Karen Handle has that strong will and leadership drive. If you underestimate Karen, you do it to your own peril. She will put a Palin whoopin’ on you and grin the whole while.

8. bowersville says:

NGI,
    I was only pointing out that Stephens made the same mistake the national Dems made.

Just as quick as Karen came on the scene for SoS, Stephens’ whisper campaign and all out barrage began against Karen. Sound familiar to the Palin situation?

Stephens lost.

9. North Ga Indy says:

If Handel rous for Governor in 2010 and Stephens wants to take another whack at it, he has my full and undivided support.

10. AtlConservative says:

1. Why do dems always think a college degree is the only way you are smart enough to run things? Talk about uppity. I know a lot of folks who lack a college degree and they are significantly smarter and more successful than a lot of folks I know with a degree. BTW, search and see how many successful folks don’t have a degree.

2. I truly like and admire both Casey and Karen. If both are in the race, I would support Karen for a number of reasons. The first is that she isn’t in the ego-politics that we have between the legislatures, Sonny and Casey.

3. I agree with the Mike Hauncho that we shouldn’t leave too many seats open.

4. I am much more concerned about being fiscally conservatve than socially, so I don’t know how much she needs to “shore up her conservative street cred.”

11. bowersville says:

If all the dominoes start falling into place.

I’ll take a serious look at Stephens too, but I won’t rule out the possibility of Brian Kemp.

12. North Ga Indy says:

I want Kemp to run for Agriculture Commissioner being vacated by Tommy Irvin in 2010. I strongly supported Kemp in 2006.

13. drjay says:

i am fairly certain gary black is pretty much already rinning for another shot at the ag seat in 2010–is handel doing anything to encourage the rumors of her running for guv–or is it just idle chatter on ou part???

14. Three Jack says:

i’ll take handel by far over oxendine, cagle, westmoreland, etc.

but it would be a shame to lose her from secretary of state; she has done a great job since taking office.

15. Icarus says:

I don’t think we know who the consensus candidate of The House will be yet. You still have to think that base of support would go to Westmoreland if he decides to get in the race.

I’m not sure how well that the average South Ga voter is going to take all the major candidates being from an enlarged metro atlanta, either.

16. jsm says:

I like Cagle for the most part, but I was a little disappointed in a story I saw today on AccessNorthGa, in which Cagle reportedly promoted state funds going to restore a local historic structure:

“Cagle said he fully supported the Piedmont restoration and said he would like to see state money for such projects.

“‘I hope that I might be in a position in the future to help to help make a funding commitment at the state level,’ Cagle said.”

I’m not so sure this provides enough benefit to the citizens of this state to warrant spending tax dollars on it.

17. With 2 Democrat Governors constantly cutting his budget while the state’s population of both insurers and insurees continued to grow, Ox was comstantly having to cut the fat and made the Dept. of Insurance one of the most consumer friendly areas of state government, long before there was a Governor’s Office of Customer Service in GA.

Ox has shown he can govern and even do a great job with less, he can manage a budget, and he was the only Republican in 2006 to win Fulton County and several other Democrat leaning counties.