Your College Football Thread

Florida State University opened up their season in a big way, announcing to the world they are returning as a major force in college football, thrashing the heretofore undefeated Western Carolina Catamounts, 69-0.

The Seminoles scored more points than any other Championship Subdivision team on Saturday. Their convincing win over the Southern Conference powerhouse of WCU prompted some pundits to say FSU will go undefeated this season, and claim the BCS National Championship.

“They looked great Saturday” said internationally respected analyst rugbyfan. “If you were to ask me, I would describe the Seminoles in one word, ‘unstoppable’. Wait, no, make that,’perfect’. Will they win the BCS? Does the sun rise in the east?”

Some other teams played this weekend but they are hopeless jokers and don’t deserve any attention.

Consider this: AN OPEN THREAD!

[Hey, what does this have to do with Georgia politics? If you have to ask, you will never know. And yes Erick I have already admonished myself for posting this.]

1. Icarus says:

Rugby,

I see you have completed your internship with the Iraqi Ministry of Information. Congrats!

UGA remains at #2 in the polls, with Oklahoma moving up to #3. Ohio State only fell to 5th, but that’s until they run up against #1 USC this week. Thank God OSU stunk up the joint against Ohio U, or we would have a non-stop love fest on ESPN this week claiming that the USC-OSU game was this week’s “game of the century”.

I was fortunate enough to attend today’s Falcon’s game, and we were fortunate enough not to lose to Detroit, a franchise that makes the Falcons look like a pro team.

It’s been a good weekend on the field. The fantasy leagues, well, we’ll see tomorrow.

2. Bill Simon says:

Icarus,

As I recall, UGA started off at #1 (don’t make me go find YOUR post on that topic).

If they are now #2, then that constitutes a “slip” in the rankings.

3. Icarus says:

The slip was last week. Thus, this week, we remain at # 2 in the polls.

(It’s O.K., Bill. We won’t call you out on this, understanding that polls are done weekly and all. We know your not familiar with college teams that are ranked, so we don’t expect you to keep up with the process.)

4. Three Jack says:

absolutely the dawgs know what academic refers to: what all those other schools must contend with when recruiting the latest, greatest.

go dawgs.

5. Icarus says:

I was trying to leave you the “I was just a misguided student” defense, just in case you ever wanted to fly on a commercial aircraft ever again.

6. John Konop says:

rugby fan

We all know that is not true because Muslimโ€™s do not drink beer. In fact I was even questioning how you gave up beer while in Iraq?

Do they play rugby in Iraq?

7. debbie0040 says:

Roll Tide!! Alabama won even though they played like crap!!!

My hubby is a Georgia Alumni and he is pretty arrogant about Georgia winning a national championship. I remined him that there are quite a few teams that may stand in their way. IE: Arizona State, Auburn, South Carolina (never know how they will play, could be an upset), Alabama, FLORIDA (so far looks to be the best SEC team), Georgia Tech, LSU and even Tennessee.

For all the arrogance UGA fans have about Georgia Tech, remember one thing-Tech was the last team from Georgia to win a national
    championship!!

8. rugby fan says:

Commercial airline travel won’t be a problem for me.

I mean, I know the Senate is holding up my confirmation, but as acting FAA Administrator, security is not an issue for me.

Oh shoot, the cat is out of the bag, I am Robert Sturgell. That is Mister Administrator to you.

9. Icarus says:

“remember one thing-Tech was the last team from Georgia to win a national
    championship!!”

UGA was the last team from Georgia to win a football national championship, as recognized by the Associated Press. Tech claims part of one from 1990, but we have both Bill Simon and Doug Deal on record somewhere in the bowels of the comments here stating that other fringe polls don’t count.

(And I’m pretty sure there’s a National Championship bylaw that states if you tie UNC, you’re disqualified from consideration)

10. debbie0040 says:

You do have to admit that most of the Tech alumni are more intelligent than UGA alumni. That is something I have noticed. Being in the IT field, I work with a lot of Tech graduates and there are many Tech engineers where I work.

11. Icarus says:

No, actually, instead of calling her out for her inability to post a link, I should be complementing her on her excellent ‘cut and paste’ skills.

12. debbie0040 says:

I knew that would get you guys fired up!!! Did it just for that reason…..

I am just saying that you will have to admit that of Tech graduates are engineers, etc and pretty darn smart.

By the way Rugby, how many times do you admonish yourself on a daily basis? ๐Ÿ™‚

13. TPNoGa says:

Hey guys!

I just got back today from Gainesville, FLA. Went to the UF / UM game. My family is all UM fans. My dad is a very involved alumni. First, we went to a big UM pre-game party. Donna Shalala was there, along with the UM marching band, cheerleaders and Ibis. Fun was had by all. I was there with my dad wearing my Gator shirt. My dad would just sigh as he would introduce me to people.

Few observations:

OMG, that was the most crowded stadium I have ever been in. We had to stand (on top of our seats) for the entire game. That stadium was not meant for 90,000+ people. It took us an hour and a half to get to our car.

It was HOT. I have never been so hot during a night game.

It was very rowdy. Everyone was very hyped up for this game.

UM and UF HATE each other. I talked to a guy who has gone to every UF / UM game since 1940. He said that UM and FSU are big rivals, but they respect one another. But they just despise the Gators. They always have. I took my life in my hands. I sat in the Miami section. We were at the end of the Miami section, across the aisle was the Gator section. About 10 fights almost broke out. The campus cops spent most of the game trying to keep the peace.

Game was a lot closer than I expected. I am worried.

I love THE SWAMP. What a great and very loud place.

I love the UF campus. It rocks.

I had a blast. UF needs to put UM back on the schedule. They won’t meet in the regular season again until 2013. ๐Ÿ™

I enjoy rubbing in the victory against my father and little brother (who also went to UM). I am a bad son. ๐Ÿ™‚

In summary: It’s great to be a Florida Gator!!!

GO GATORS!!!!

14. Icarus says:

“It was HOT. I have never been so hot during a night game.”

Jean shorts can chafe in high heat/humidity. Must have been a rough ride home.

15. TPNoGa says:

Jean shorts can chafe in high heat/humidity. Must have been a rough ride home.

You’re a funny man Icarus. ๐Ÿ˜€

GO GATORS!!!

Added note: Dang there are a LOT of Georgia Gators tags. Must have seen at least 50 on my ride down 75. We are popular here in GA.

16. Icarus says:

“Dang there are a LOT of Georgia Gators tags…We are popular here in GA.”

I’m sure you’ve experienced a college appartment that was infested with “palmetto bugs”. did you consider them popular, as well?

17. debbie0040 says:

You are about to see University of Alabama Georgia plates on the road. They are supposed to be available in the next few months…

I am not a Gator fan, but am a Tebow fan. Hope he repeats for the Heissman…

18. TPNoGa says:

Debbie,

I hope so too. While I am not a UGA fan, I do like Coach Richt. He was a QB at U of Miami and I do actually like UM a lot (just not against the Gators).

But I am sorry to say, that as a Miami Dolphin fan, I am obligated to hate Bama. At least until y’all wise up and can your evil coach Satan…oops….I mean Saban. ๐Ÿ™‚

But I will be pulling for you to kick Auburn’s you know what. Gosh I hate them.

19. Doug Deal says:

Icarus,

OSU kept it close this week so as to not show USC the devastation they are going to bring next weekend. I feel bad for USC, really I do. Losing by more than 2 touchdowns in their own stadium. OUCH!

20. debbie0040 says:

TPNoGa, I have been a Dolphins fan since the glory days of Larry Csonka, Jim Kiick, (aka Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid) Griese, Yepremian, Bob Baumhower (played at Alabama) , Mercury Morris, etc

I love Coach Saban, but think the Dolphins are better off without him. He, like Steve Spurrier and others, are not cut out to coach professional football…

I think that Mark Richt is a great coach and has class. Everyone likes Coach Richt…

21. Holly says:

I like Tim Tebow, too, but I am no Florida fan. (Admittedly, though, I can’t work up the distaste for Urban Meyer that I had and still have for Steve Spurrier.)

Georgia has done very well in its first two games, though they were against teams we should have dominated. I’m with Icarus: one week at a time, and this week is all about South Carolina.

Wish I was home to go to Border Bash this week. . . ๐Ÿ™