The ‘high-tech lynching’ of Sarah Palin.

I hadn’t planned on posting this here, ’cause it’s not about Georgia or Georgia politics, but since it’s been a hot topic at PP, here’s what I wrote about Sarah Palin.

In 1991 Clarence Thomas was nominated for the U.S. Supreme Court by then President George H.W. Bush. The attacks on Thomas that ensued were astounding and sought not only to defeat his nomination but to destroy his reputation and character. Never mind that the outrageous accusations were unproven, they were tools to try to stop Thomas from being on the Court. The ends justify the means.

When Thomas finally got the chance to speak for himself he said:

This is not a closed room. There was an FBI investigation. This is not an opportunity to talk about difficult matters privately or in a closed environment. This is a circus. It’s a national disgrace. And from my standpoint as a black American, as far as I’m concerned, it is a high-tech lynching for uppity blacks who in any way deign to think for themselves, to do for themselves, to have different ideas, and it is a message that unless you kowtow to an old order, this is what will happen to you. You will be lynched, destroyed, caricatured by a committee of the US Senate rather than hung from a tree.

Thomas was eventually confirmed and has served with distinction on the Court.

Fast forward to 2008 and we find another trailblazing nominee in Alaska Governor Sarah Palin. Like Thomas, Palin thinks differently than we’re told she should. She’s a woman, pro-life, otherwise socially conservative, and most importantly, nominated to be the first female Vice-President in our nation’s history. This has the left-wing outraged and they have unleashed a smear campaign the likes of which we haven’t seen since the Thomas nomination.

Almost immediately the press and influential left-wing bloggers have cooked up the most ridiculous accusations including that Palin “faked” a pregnancy (amazingly dailyKos seems to have removed the post but this one still remains). The press dutifully went after the story as evidenced by this outrageous report on CNN.

Now that Palin family broke the news that their 17 year old daughter is pregnant, the condescension has reached new heights with male and female news anchors lecturing us about the dangers of teaching abstinence, wondering how a woman can be Vice-President and a mom as the same time, and many other remarks that if made about Hillary Clinton would have been denounced as sexist. It’s as if Bristol Palin is the first teenager in history to ignore her parents advice.

Oh, I almost forgot, apparently Sarah Palin is a fornicator a Nazi-sympathizer, and secessionist white trash.

To his credit, Barack Obama said families are off limits, but this won’t restrain the dailyKos crowd and other whacko groups who are attempting a high-tech lynching of Sarah Palin. I hope she’s up to the task.

1. tb says:

Kudos to Buzz for this insightful post. The left just can’t stand that the Republicans have come up with a strong, independent minded woman who can hold her own party to task. Plain and simple jealousy.

2. Doug Deal says:

Good job Buzz.

The Democrats want to attack any woman (or minority) they can’t control and silence them. Every year their racism and sexism gets worse and worse. Will this be the year they reach the breaking point with at least one of these groups?

My magic 8-ball says “All signs point to yes.”

3. Ronin says:

I would suspect that if the shoe were on the other hand, everyone’s roles, attacks and indignation would be reversed.

“All this has happened before and will happen again”

4. tb says:

Saw that CNN report…oh brother. I just love to get a dose of politics from a beat reporter. Give me a break. Do you know how many kids don’t listen to their parents and even so, do you know how many kids don’t even know how to us a condom properly.. Or how about the teenagers who are on teh pill, but forget to take it half the time. My 18 year old is off to college, I can only imagine how much of my lectures will get through to him, probably like 10% if any.

5. Old Vet says:

Let’s be fair. Obama has clearly stated his position on this. It’s a free country and people will say what they will, and some of them will be idiots. I don’t think the fact that some yahoo keyed my car right after I put on an Obama sticker means “All Republicans” are rednecks who can’t handle oposing views. (I admit I had pretty bad feelings for the loyal oposition for a while, though!) Things are bad enough without intelligent people like those on this list mindlessly generalizing from the actions of a few nutters.

6. Doug Deal says:

Old Vet,

Obama’s campaign has close ties to the KosKids, and it acts as his personal press secretary on many issues (reference CoLB gate among others). It is not surprising that the “She wasn’t really pregnant” attack came from the Kos site. Of course the cowards have now taken it down.

You know Obama’s people know this is going on, and support it, or you are as naive as a newborn.

7. boyreporter says:

Well, Buzz, you have to be right now and then. A stopped clock and all that. But you’re only right this time about one tiny little element of your Palin-Thomas comparison. What this pick shows is that McCain can be as reckless and unpatriotic as the elder Bush. Thomas was a shameful choice (and has NOT served with distinction, just a footstool for Scalia), as was Dan Quayle and now Sarah Secession-for-Alaska. Republicans like to prance about in Uncle Sam suits until raw political expediency suits their purposes. Come to think of it, though, maybe Thomas, Quayle and Sarah Shoot-em-up were the best that benighted group has or had to offer, considering that to sign on to Republicanism in the first place shows a complete lack of judgment, character and common sense.

8. DMZDave says:

Here’s how the Palins can kill this story. Suggest John Edwards might be the father. Other than the pesky National Enquirer, no one would cover it.

9. atlantaman says:

I’m guessing the reason the dailykoz removed the even more outlandish post is that it was libelous.

I’d like to see someone go after that poster for libel; understanding the burden is much higher when writing about politicians or celebrities.

It was a flat out lie.

10. ramblinwreck says:

Looks to me like the Dems are scared to death that the undecided voters are going to see who Gov Palin really is. Unlike Hillary Clinton she’s achieved all her political success based on her own merits, not on what positions her husband has been elected to an the fact that when compared side by side with the Dem Presidential candidate she makes him look like the rank amateur which he is. Some of us are still waiting to see that extensive list of Obama’s accomplishiments before being elected to office and since. Voting “present” hundreds of times in the Illiniois Senate and missing over 50% of the votes in the US Senate the last two years are not much to brag about I guess. Being endorsed by William Ayres, Hamas and the American Communist Party would probably turn a lot of people off so they can’t use those.

Kudos to Governor Palin, a class act that has the Dems quaking in their birkenstocks.

11. atlantaman: you seem so sure about the post being libelous why not pursue the case?

I love it when people are so convinced there is a libelous case and don’t take legal action in what they claim to be such a slam dunk case.

12. SavannahDem says:

Open question:

The rollout of Palin included glowing words about her as a “hockey mom” and lots of talk about her family and how she represents conservative values.

So, the media does some looking at these topics: Palin’s family, values, and her as a mother. And this is offensive? Didn’t the McCain campaign open this discussion?

13. Doug Deal says:

rugby,

Aaaahhh, I must have gotten under your skin. Obama should hire more mature people to act as his proxies on these boards. You just cannot take the heat of a disagreement.

Get someone who can stay on this morning’s talking points email.

14. When did McCain open the door to go after Palin’s kids? It never happened. Also, why is it OK for sexism to rear it’s ugly head against a Republican but not a Democrat?

15. John Konop says:

Buzz

I agree this should not be an attack on Palin’s family. Yet does not this situation open up a debate. Should the father of the child being an adult be tried for rape since the girl was a minor? Does it not open the question of a minor’s right via abortion? Why not have the debate without it being personal and nasty.

My first impression was that it was great that Mr. and Mrs. Palin were so supportive. Yet does it call into question what about children without a supportive family network?

This is a real issue and both sides seemed scared of the debate.

16. Decaturguy says:

Interpretation of Buzz’s comments:

Oh, those poor conservative Republicans always being treated unfairly by Democrats, the left, and the media. Boo hoo.

We are such a bunch of victims.

17. The debate over abortion, sex education etc.. already take place. Bristol Palin getting pregnant doesn’t change that at all. Using Bristol Palin to advance one side or the other of the debate shouldn’t happen.

Should the father of Bristol’s baby be charged? I have no idea what the law in Alaska is so I can’t answer that.

18. AtlConservative says:

Age of consent is a state by state issue. It is not necessarily rape if both parties are of consenting age. Look up your state law.

And the real issue with this case is the lack of consideration about adoption.

19. tb says:

regarding the possibility of libel…there would be an awful lot to prove and libel suits are not that easy. First, you’d probalby have to subpoenae the records of the kos site, then there would be a blockade of that through the courts through various motions….citing rights to privacy and all of that, and those counter motions are often upheld, especially if you’ve got some savvy first amendment attorneys, etc.

In other words, it ain’t that easy. Then you would have to prove malice, also not that easy, then the defendant could claim, it wasn’t them, it was someone else at the computer….again, not that easy.

I am not a proponent of frivolous and costly lawsuits especially anything that can chill free speech. Let the few loons keep spewing their smut, after all, it’s all they have. I think most people with common sense don’t pay that much attention to them, and it will back fire anyway. (hopefully)

20. jsm says:

“Palin = Harriet Miers”

Not true. Harriet would not have been the first woman on the Supreme Court, and Palin’s qualifications are appropriate.

21. John Konop says:

Buzz

I have had a few friends face this issue with their teenage daughters. And I do think on both sides it is very easy to talk about the issue in the abstract until reality hits. In the three cases all my friends worked with their daughters to keep the child. All of them were supportive about the daughters not marring the men because they were not in love.

The truth is they were not treated well by many so-called friends after sticking by the daughter. In fact they left their church and went to a new one. One of my friends had his daughter come to work at his business every day during the pregnancy and it was not easy.

All I know even with tight support system this was not a walk in the park. I hope I would have the strength to do what my friends did, which I told them many times during the situation. I try not to judge other people unless I walk in their shoes.

I am not sure what my point is, but I do not this is a topic that needs a real life discussion.

22. Progressive Dem says:

If one more shoe drops on Sara Palin, she drops like a dead moose. To date: (1) for the bridge to no where before she was against it; (2) as mayor requested and recevied $27 million in earmarks for a town of fewer than 10,000; (3) this year as governor requested Ted Stephens to earmark 31 appropriations worth $197 million for Alaska; (4) former director of Ted Stephens 527 group; (5) redistrbuted big oil profits to Alaska citizens; (6) former member of Alaska sessionist party.

She may be a great lady. Smart and teriffic role model, but I don’t see this woman as a reformer. I don’t see how McCain sees this track record as compatible with his. I don’t see how this woman is prepared to take on what McCain has described as the “transcendent challenge of the 21st century – radical Islamic extremists”.

Was that call to arms just BS? Because if he was serious, he would want a person who was up to the task, particularly given his age. And she unlike OBama has never said anything about foreign policy. Over the past year we have at least gained some understanding of what he knows.

This first “presidential” decision was not only a huge gamble, but a sellout to those he once called the agents of intollerance. McCain has now blown his own unique brand and proven he is no different than any other politician.

23. Ronin says:

The children of politicians should be (and should have been) off limits. Period.

But saying that Democrats are the only ones to spread rumors of this type is disingenuous.

This original rumor was being spread by Palin’s GOP enemies in Alaska. It has been well reported that it was running rampant and had even been investigated by the local newspapers. Those reporters determined there was nothing to and moved on.

Given that, should the Kos kid have run the story? Absolutely not. Without question. (And plenty of Kos kids told the poster as much through comments.) Does the extreme left hold a monopoly on spreading scurrilous rumors? Hardly.

P.S. Frankly I think the story actually helps the GOP ticket. Its probably something every family has faced (albeit often indirectly through extended relations) and as such, makes it easy to connect to her. I know that I felt sick when I heard about it. It is likely the toughest thing that the young girl will face and she’s having to do it in the national spotlight. I can’t even imagine.

24. SavannahDem says:

Palin is indeed qualified per the Constitution.

From the ADN:

“State House Speaker John Harris, a Republican from Valdez, was astonished at the news. He didn’t want to get into the issue of her qualifications.

‘She’s old enough,’ Harris said. ‘She’s a U.S. citizen.'”

I fail to see how this makes Palin more qualified for VP than Miers was to be on the Court.

25. odinseye2k says:

Hey, y’all want to make elections about the issues and straight-up comparisons with dispassionate, credentialed experts, I’d be all for that.

Oddly, I have a really hard time gaining sympathy after the last couple of presidential elections.

26. CHelf says:

If Palin was as insignificant and unqualified as the Democrats claim, then why go after her guns blazing? For someone whose qualifications and background speaks for itself, why all the worry? I think seeing how Obama, Biden, and the rest of the Left is going nuts is proof that they are being disingenuous about Palin being an empty suit. Instead, they are doing everything in their power to throw out the comparisons between Alaska and various states along with various budget numbers, etc.

If state senator is a qualification, maybe Eric Johnson or David Shafer should run for President. If an uncompleted first term of US Senator is, shall we dig up some there? And if running a political campaign is, we have some more candidates there.

Do you realize that Sarah Palin did take on an entrenched incumbent governor in Alaska and had everyone telling her the exact same thing? She had no business running with no experience was repeated ad nasaeum. Do you also realize she received more votes in this win than there are registered voters in Obama’s state senate district? If Huttman wants to say Obama’s masterful campaign is good enough to use as a qualification to run for higher office, let’s look at Palin’s rise to fame. She took on corruption. She had no money and no big backers. She faced not only an incumbent governor but another party insider in the primary and beat them both and then defeated Knowles who is by no means a weak opponent. Little known east bumble mayor basically bucked the establishment and won.

If Obama wants to reflect on her background, let’s make sure we look at all of the numbers. If he “overlooks” her service as governor, let’s take his current service as US Senator off as well. Let us look back at ONLY his state senate record. Let’s look at only getting less than 50K votes in each election. Let’s look at his part time service making the occasional vote and missing quite a few as well.

27. McCain made a colossal political calculation.

It turns out he was too much of a “maverick” to methodically vet his VP choice. Now the public and the press are doing it for him.

28. Three Jack says:

when is somebody going to ask obama how he plans to raise two young daughters and be leader of the free world?

29. Romegaguy says:

If McCain believes that children of politicians should be off limits, he should remember the days when he referred to Chelsea as that “ugly kid that lives in the White House.” Just saying…

30. atlantaman says:

Bizzaro Rugby-

There is no potential libel against me, so it might be a little difficult to sue. Tell me how the post, removed from Koz, wasn’t libelous.

31. CHelf says:

So we’re resorting to 3rd grade playground mentality now? “Well Republicans do it!” Wow. Grown ups now excusing childish behavior. I guess a joke against an 18 year old makes it OK to say a 16 year old lacking washboard abs must be pregnant. I’m sure teen girls love that self-esteem boost. Or that a 16 year old girl took part in a massive conspiracy to hide her pregnancy by saying it was her mom’s? Or the better one – that Palin took her time getting back to Alaska hoping she would lose the baby and not have to deal with DS. My bad.

32. bird says:

CHelf, I don’t think the Palin camp wants to mention how many votes she has received compared to Obama. But since you brought it up:

Palin
    2006 Alaska Gubernatorial Election = 115K votes
    1999 Mayor of Wasilla = 909 votes

Obama
    2004 Illinois Senate = 655K votes
    1998 Illinois State Senate = 45K votes

And of course Obama received over 18M votes for the Democratic nominee for POTUS.

33. Three Jack says:

another simple question reporters should ask obama, are you gay!?

i seem to recall a big nytimes story earlier this year based solely on one source who accused mccain of an affair with a lobbyist. where is the balanced reporting?

34. CHelf says:

Bird. Nice try. You clearly missed the point. Obama himself ignored the fact that she is governor. He mocked her by only mentioning her being mayor. If he forgets her being governor, let’s reverse the roles. Again, you are comparing two different states. Are you saying smaller states don’t matter?

I mean after all Biden, an incumbent US Senator in DC since the founding received 135K. An incumbent US Senator gets 135K and little ol’ Miss PTA podunk mayor going up against a BIG name in Alaska gets 115K. Not bad for someone with no experience. If we want to bring up the POTUS elections, how many votes did Biden get running for President? Let’s see. He got 638 in NH. He got 693 in SC. He dropped out after a pathetic performance in IA. So let’s see. Palin got more votes for Mayor of Wasilla than Biden did in either state shown above.

35. Ronin says:

Just found this little tidbit from Ben Smith’s blog on Politico:

During the primary Sarah Palin chided Hillary Clinton for complaining about sexism.

“She does herself a disservice to even mention it, really,” Palin said. “When I hear a statement like that coming from a woman candidate with any kind of perceived whine about that excess criticism, or maybe a sharper microscope put on her, I think, ‘Man, that doesn’t do us any good, women in politics, or women in general, trying to progress this country,'” Palin said. “I don’t think it bodes well for her.”

And then he goes on to quote Lindsey Graham (who has a good point):

“Would a man be asked this question? Probably not,” the South Carolina Republican said in an interview with Politico.

“Did anybody ask [Democratic vice presidential nominee] Joe Biden [similar questions] when his tragedy hit him?”

I wasn’t around (alive) for the Biden thing, but I would guess there was more than one person who was laying that question on him.

But the point is about the sexist double-standard is valid (especially from Democrats).

36. midtown_maven says:

Also a double standard on grandchildren.

Mary Cheney was allowed her privacy. No question on who, where, why, how. The second family was allowed to be just that — a family.

37. The VP spot is “not worth a bucket of warm piss”, anyway. So why are we doing all this fussin’ and fightin’.

I don’t care if Barrack denounced this crap or not, the fact that the KOS and other operations are promulgating such things is disgusting. Some of this stuff is so unfounded that it’s laughable.

I think many of these are being given more light than normal VP attacks by the media, and I think that is largely because Palin is a woman. It’s something easy for pundits to latch on and attack.

38. Decaturguy says:

While we’re talking about brining candidates children into politics, let’s remember the joke John McCain, the Republican nominee, the top of the ticket, the man who would be President of the United States told about Chelsea Clinton:

“Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly?
    Because her father is Janet Reno.”

39. midtown_maven says:

Okay Decatur let’s take the McCain joke and ask what it teaches us.

Does it disqualify McCain as a presidential candidate? If it does than what has Obama done that we need to consider?

Does the McCain joke allow us to make jokes about Obama’s children and wife?

Basically Decatur are you making the case that anything goes on Obama and Biden’s family?

40. People in glass houses should throw no stones, was what I was always taught. The Democrats can feel free to bring up Palin’s kids all they want. While we are at that level, why don’t we just start on Biden’s son Hunter.

I’ll admit what McCain said about Chelsea was wrong and tastless. But that happened in 1998 and has nothing, and I mean nothing, to do with the present election. The only way it is remotely connected is by the simple fact that Hillary ran in the Democrat’s primaries.

But if we want to drag the kids into it, fine. It’s going to boil down to some hillbilly threatening to kill the Obama kids or something, and the whole act being labeled as blasphemous i nthe first place.

41. IndyInjun says:

Hahahaha…….

After MONTHS of hearing all manner of Obama bashing of the most absurd, misguided, and downright FALSE kind from Redstate, Fox, Boortz and Limbaugh, you cannot be SERIOUSLY protesting the treatment of Governor Palin.

I don’t have a vote in this election, other than to write in Ron Paul. Obama wants to spend a $trillion or so we don’t have (although that didn’t stop Bush) and McCain represents the greatest threat to the existence of mankind since the world became overpopulated with nukes.

I won’t listen to a word about Ms. Palin because I am not going to vote for the continued destruction of America at the hands of the GOP and I swore off the Dems a long time ago.

You guys are a riot……sob….poor Sarah Palin…..sob……

42. umustbekidding says:

The teen pregnancy just opened up a new demographic for the campaign.
    Gov. Palin is more in touch with regular American families and the problems they are dealing with than anyone within 50 miles of DC.

43. John Konop says:

This is a wild story!

Prediction Market Starts Betting On Chance That Palin Will Withdraw From Ticket

As of 5:29pm Tuesday, traders on the Intrade prediction market are selling the chance that Palin will drop off John McCain’s ticket at 11.6. Check here for more updates as the market moves.

***UPDATE***
    As of 1:45pm Tuesday, traders on the Intrade prediction market are selling the chance that Palin will drop off John McCain’s ticket at 13.9. Check here for more updates as the market moves.

The Intrade prediction market has opened trading on whether “Sarah Palin [is] to be withdrawn as Republican VP nominee before 2008 presidential election.” At 8:55 am, Tuesday morning, the market is selling the prediction at 18 a share and rising. That means 18 percent of traders think there is a chance that Palin will be removed from the ticket.

Intrade predicted Joe Biden would be Barack Obama’s running mate in August and its traders were also correct about every Senate race in 2006. It fell flat in predicting a Democratic majority.

44. c_murrayiii says:

Hey, you know what is sad, our country has become so tabloid/celeb obsessed we are arguing about BS like this, which in no way reflects what might happen if McCain or Obama becomes President. Thats right, the election is between McCain and Obama. The VP is important, don’t get me wrong, but whining about who called who a sexist, racist, jerk, whatever doesn’t get to the heart of the matter. Who among all four of these people, McCain/Palin and Obama/Biden is going to execute the office of the Presidency the best according to the CONSTITUTION (remember that, its the document that supposedly says what government can and can’t do) and who will stand for Freedom in this country. Which candidate has even talked about freedom? Honestly, neither have enough for me. Freedom is what America is supposed to be about, not some militaristic sense of Patriotism nor the idea you have should lift up your fellow man. The Constitution, not vote buying schemes that shift the property (taxes for the less knowledgable) from one side to another, should be what we are talking about. I am a McCain man, but he isn’t perfect, but no one, on either side seems to really be talking about the things our country was founded on and what the law says are the limits of government. Government is limited for those of you not properly educated, the people as individuals, are protected against government by the Constitution. Government is evil, but a necessary evil. Read some founding History.
    Oh, and if a Ron Pauler or whatever wants to say that he is the answer to my objections, lets get out of the fantasy and back to the reality that either McCain or Obama will be President.

45. Jane says:

Redstate is reporting that the Democrat leaders have publicly released personal information about Sarah Palin including her Social Security Number. That is after going after her children and her life style choices. This is getting ridiculous. If Obama wants to lead a respectable party he needs to stop this. Children need to be off limits and information useful for identity theft needs to be off limits. People from suburban towns need not be shown obvious disrespect. By having the appearance that the Democrat leadership support these kind of tactics will only hurt the party.

I remember jokes were made about Amy Carter’s good looks and Chelsea’s male role model, but they were made by comedians not opponents or office holders. Obama needs to nip this in the bud. If he does not there will be a tremendous backlash against him and his party.

Not to be too racist or politically incorrect, but this mud slinging may give the impression of a elitist mulatto supporting those calling a White country girl trash because she is not from the big city. This will not go over well with southerners or rural people in general.

46. John Konop says:

Jane

This is the source of the story.

FROM POLITICO

Documents detail Palin’s political life

Sarah Palin may be new to most Americans, but she’s not entirely new to the national Democratic Party.

Democrat Tony Knowles, her opponent in the 2006 Alaska gubernatorial race, put together a detailed, 63-page research document — obtained by Politico — cataloging Palin’s strengths and weaknesses. And the Obama campaign, in particular, knows Palin well: A key Obama consultant, Anita Dunn, worked on Knowles’ campaign.

“We’re running against John McCain — the issues raised around his decision and the fact that he clearly bowed under to the right wing of his party and let them exercise veto power over his vice presidential pick,” Dunn said, suggesting the Obama campaign wouldn’t be recycling the 2006 Democratic criticism of Palin.

“Whether it was Sarah Palin or Tim Pawlenty or Mitt Romney or somebody else, fundamentally that wasn’t going to alter the dynamic — which is that John McCain believes we don’t need to change the fundamental economic policies in this country,” Dunn said.

The Democratic opposition research document, which was not obtained from Dunn or from the Obama campaign, is largely a catalog of the day-to-day decisions of a small-town mayor. It contains examples of her sometimes confrontational tenure and colorful details of an ordinary woman who was thrilled to meet Ivana Trump and who began the process of opening a marketing company whose name — Rouge Cou — was supposed to be a French version of “redneck.”

for more

47. Three Jack says:

she looks better and better with every new leftist revelation.

how can any american vote against a ticket that has a war hero at the top with his attractive wife who happens to own a bud distributorship by his side and the gun totin’, ‘rouge cou’, conservative vp who along with her high school sweetheart, snowmobile champion husband started their own company while having five children?

pass the apple pie!

48. DoubleDawg3 says:

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems funny that Obama, even though he’s completely “not involved,” always seems to be on the advantageous side of these “dig deep in the closet” stories. I mean, Blair Hull looked like he was going to cruise to victory – then the scandals hit the paper. The same for Jack Ryan.

But yeah, I believe that Obama himself has absolutely NOTHING to do with approving the leaking of all this dirt on Palin. I mean, candidates full of “hope” and “change” don’t dish dirt, or do they?

49. albert says:

Obama and his loyal democrap cronies are worthless swine. Obama is the modern David Duke. Hope McCain rips him a new arse. Hell, I hope Miss Sarah kicks him in the nuts, if he has any.

Word I hear is Obama likes it both ways, freakin idiot.

50. midtown_maven says:

I think this thread should be put out of its misery

It’s always the non-Georgia subjects that bring out the worst.

51. Rick Day says:

I…don’t know what to type. This was a circus to read!

Here is my bottom line: You reap what you sow. If you use your gods to pass morality laws that impact others, you best be able to prove by personal example it is possible.

Otherwise, that politico is a de facto hypocrite.

And we have enough of them in office already,

I say keep Palin. They make a cute couple.

The GO(o)Ps 21st Century Dan Quayle.

52. Bill Simon says:

Jane,

You used this term: “Democrat leaders”

The Dems are nothing but a bunch of kiddies who weren’t sent to their room enough when they were growing-up.

53. boyreporter says:

“I remember jokes were made about Amy Carter’s good looks and Chelsea’s male role model, but they were made by comedians not opponents or office holders. ”

Jane, you must be kidding. McCain himself has yet to apologize for his bad joke at Chelsea’s expense. Have your GOP buddies explain it to you. They’d love to tell it again and slap their knees and snort and bellow.

54. Skeptical says:

Oh my, where to begin???

Well, let’s start here: “She’s a woman, pro-life, otherwise socially conservative, and most importantly, nominated to be the first female Vice-President in our nation’s history.” I’ll give you that she is a woman and socially conservative, but even the most pathetic fact checker could have told you that the nomination to be the first female VP in our nation’s history went to Belva Ann Lockwood, the running mate of Marietta Stow in 1884, for the National Equal Rights Party. The first woman to be nominated as a VP candidate by one of the two major political parties was Geraldine Ferraro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geraldine_Ferraro). Sorry, the DemocratIC Party beat y’all to that one decades ago.

Now, someone else pointed out (and I’m sorry I can’t remember who, but I refuse to wade through that crap again to find out) that people who live in glass igloos shouldn’t throw snowballs with rocks in them.

If Mrs. Palin wants to be the gun-totin’, social conservative who wants to adhere to the GOP platform of outlawing abortion and almost all forms of contraception and teaching only abstinence in schools, in between creationism classes, then she should most assuredly put her big girl panties on and face the music. When you take away contraception and tell kids with raging hormones to keep it in their pants, most kids will tell you after they slam their door shut to F-off, then go screw around like they were going to all along.

If you think this is going to stop the sinking of the Titanic, I mean help the Republican Party, you are sadly mistaken. Most of you good ol’ god fearin’, red meat eatin’, gun lovin’ bible thumpin’ Republicons (see how fun it is to make the other party’s name look silly – real mature too!) seem to think that this is an issue that is a very private family matter that every family faces. Well, I didn’t face it. None of my friend’s families faced this when I was growing up (and really, I’m in my mid 30s and I remember dancing around my room to Papa Don’t Preach). I guess I was just raised right by my Democratic parents. Are you all saying that Republicans are terrible parents because that can be inferred from your “reasoning”?

I honestly do believe that any person who puts themselves out there for one of the highest offices in the land should be put to public scrutiny and if that includes how dysfunctional their family is, then that should be out there as well as it says a great deal about a person’ character. Your lot is claiming this woman is as American as apple pie, but the facts are proving otherwise and as usual you are just choosing not to hear this part.

In less than one week’s time, the media has already published stories about her very own Troopergate, her flip-flopping on the Bridge to Nowhere, her going after her enemies in her own party and laughing at their misfortune (how very clever for someone too call a cancer survivor a “cancer” and have her laugh about it). Then there is her complete disregard for that pesky science. Opposing listing polar bears as a endangered species despite reviews from Alaska’s own Department of Fish and Game’s marine mammal program agreeing with the Department of Interior’s conclusion that science justifies the listing is just stupid. So is supporting the aerial shooting of wolves and bears as a means of predator control and allowing the systematic killing of wolf pups to control the population. I think its silly to bring up her husband’s old DUI, so I won’t.

Well, at least there’s nothing wrong with her church. Oh wait…
    I like this tidbit from a speech she gave to the graduating class of commission students from her former church is good ol’ Wasilla:
    “I can do my part in working really, really hard to get a natural gas pipeline, about a $30 billion project that’s going to create a lot of jobs for Alaska. … [but] I think God’s will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that,” she said. “I can do my job there in developing our natural resources, in doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns, and making sure our public schools are funded. But really that stuff doesn’t do any good if the people of Alaska’s hearts aren’t right with God.”

I’m sure Thomas Jefferson will just stand up and cheer for her! Forget that old stale Constitution! Who needs it?!?! And now I hear whispers of her very own Rev. Wright problem. Well glory be!

So Republican pundits and the long suffering faithful are just thrilled to death to have some young, hardcore person on the ticket to offset McCain’s considerable baggage, but really is this the best that y’all could do? She wasn’t even interviewed until the day before he offered her the job (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/02/AR2008090203462.html?hpid=topnews)!!!! I mean c’mon! Nice judgment call there McCain!

55. albert says:

So what’s that say about you democrap loonies who nominate a crack head pervert as your nominee??? Gettin down in a limo with a freak like Larry Sinclair, nice judgement.

56. Skeptical says:

Um, and as soon as someone credible comes up with anything remotely close to “evidence” I might take you republicants up on your wild-eyed stab in the dark accusations.

Nice try though. Thanks for playing. Next.

57. Bill Simon says:

BitchBoy Sez: “Bill Simon: You have a strange fixation on authority over kids. So why ain’t you head of all Republicans, a group of whining brats that need your firm hand.”

And you have a strange fixation on demonstrating you’re a flaming moron.

58. Bill Simon says:

Skeptical,

Larry Sinclair didn’t happen to wear a blue dress that day.

BUT, even if he did, and he had a sample of Obama’s DNA, people like you would still deny the evidence.

59. Skeptical,

The left and their allies in the media have twisted her views on creationism (see here) and sex education.

Alaska has sex education and has the 30th highest teen pregnancy rate. In other words, only twenty States have lower teen pregnancy rates.

Y’all can try to portray Palin as some always pregnant, religious wacko, white trash if you want but it isn’t true and it won’t work.

60. Oh, I forgot to add that Palin’s so-called troopergate is about protecting her sister and family from a wacko ex-hubby (see this PDF from the Politico).

Clinton’s troopergate was about procuring women for a sex-addicted Governor who was cheating on his wife.

61. Skeptical says:

“You misread what I wrote. I didn’t say Palin was the first woman nominated I said she was nominated to be the first female VP. You’re a leftist with a vastly superior intellect so imagine my shock at your lack of comprehension.”

Again, tell me, since my “vastly superior intellect” is blinding me, how does Mrs. Palin being nominated on this ticket accomplish anything that Geraldine Ferraro’s nomination didn’t do 24 years ago?

Also, you can call troopergate whatever you want to. In the end, it will always be about disregarding laws to carry out a personal vendetta. I guess you don’t get any more Republican that that Buzz.

But I can quote too:
    “The Palin family had a feud with Wooten prior to her becoming governor. They put together a list of 14 accusations which they took to the state police to investigate — a list that ranged from the quite serious to the truly absurd. The state police did an investigation, decided that 5 of the charges had some merit and suspended Wooten for ten days — a suspension later reduced to five days. The Palin’s weren’t satisfied but there wasn’t much they could do.

When Palin became governor they went for another bite at the apple. Palin, her husband and several members of her staff began pressuring Public Safety Commissioner, Walt Monegan — a respected former Chief of the Anchorage police department — to can Wooten. Monegan resisted, arguing that the official process regarding Wooten was closed. And there was nothing more that could be done. In fact, during one of the conversations in which Palin’s husband Todd was putting on the squeeze, Monegan told Todd Palin, “You can’t head hunt like this. What you need to do is back off, because if the trooper does make a mistake, and it is a terminable offense, it can look like political interference.”

Eventually, Palin got fed up and fired Monegan from his job. (Palin claims, not credibly, that she fired Monegan over general differences in law enforcement priorities.) This is an important point. Wooten never got fired. To the best of my knowledge, he’s is still on the job. The central bad act was firing the state’s top police official because he refused to bend to political pressure from the governor and her family to fire a public employee against whom the governor was pursuing a vendetta — whether the vendetta was justified or not.

Soon after this, questions were raised in the state about Monegan’s firing and he eventually came forward and said he believed he’d been fired for not giving in to pressure to fire Wooten.

After Monegan made his accusations, Palin insisted there was no truth whatsoever to his claims. Nonetheless, a bipartisan committee of the state legislature approved an investigation. In response, Palin asked the Attorney General to start his own investigation which many in the state interpreted as an effort to either keep tabs on or tamper with the legislature’s investigation. Again, very questionable judgment in someone who aspires to be first in line to the presidency.

The Attorney General’s investigation quickly turned up evidence that Palin’s initial denials were false. Multiple members of her staff had raised Wooten’s employment with Monegan. Indeed, the state police had a recording of one of her deputies pushing Monegan to fire Wooten. That evidence forced Palin to change her story. Palin said that this was the first she’d heard of it and insisted the deputy wasn’t acting at her behest, even though the trascript of the recorded call clearly suggested that he was. (Hear the audio here.)

Just yesterday, Monegan gave an interview to the Washington Post in which he said that not only Palin’s aides, but Palin’s husband and Palin herself had repeatedly raised the Wooten issue with him and pressured him to fire him. And now he says he has emails that Palin sent him about the matter. (In an interesting sidelight, that may end up telling us a lot, Monegan says no one from the McCain campaign ever contacted him in the vetting process.)

The investigator appointed by the state legislature began trying to arrange a time to depose Gov. Palin last week — in other words, in the final days before her selection.

So let’s put this all together.

These are, to put it mildly, not the traits or temperament you want in someone who could hold the executive power of the federal government.

I was wondering how long before all of this would be The Clenis’ fault.

62. Doug Deal says:

Buzz,

63. sturdy says:

Why is it okay for Palin to pimp out her disabled baby to get votes, but her 17 year old pregnant daughter is off limits?

64. Skeptical says:

Dear Buzz, please explain to my vastly superior intellect how the pick of Mrs. Palin is still anything groundbreaking? And while you are at it, tell Geraldine Ferraro too. If you want to assert that this is the first time the Republican Party is trying to pander to the soccer/hockey moms in a bid to keep their votes, go ahead.

Also, troopergate isn’t about protecting her family. It’s about a personal vendetta carried out with blatant disregard for the law. How very Republican of her!

I can quote too:

So let’s put this all together.

We rely on elected officials not to use the power of their office to pursue personal agendas or vendettas. It’s called an abuse of power. There is ample evidence that Palin used her power as governor to get her ex-brother-in-law fired. When his boss refused to fire him, she fired his boss. She first denied Monegan’s claims of pressure to fire Wooten and then had to amend her story when evidence proved otherwise. The available evidence now suggests that she 1) tried to have an ex-relative fired from his job for personal reasons, something that was clearly inappropriate, and perhaps illegal, though possibly understandable in human terms, 2) fired a state official for not himself acting inappropriately by firing the relative, 3) lied to the public about what happened and 4) continues to lie about what happened. ”

Personally, I’m going to believe Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan, the respected former Chief of the Anchorage Police, and the Attorney General of Alaska who was asked to investigate and turned up the wrongdoing of Palin and her secessionist husband.

65. Skeptical says:

Doug,

“It’s not about logic, it’s about the Democrats snuffing out independent women. They only want easily manipulated women, not strong independent women.”

That is rich coming from the party of the Stepford Wives. Man…black really is white in y’alls world.

Continue to grasp at straws and shrink further and further away from the light. You guys are freakin’ nuts.

66. Icarus says:

PD and Skep are having the same trouble with English that they also have with logic and reason.

Buzz correctly stated that she has been nominated to be the first female V.P.

Ferraro was also nominated to be the first female V.P. She would have been, but her ticket came up about 255 electoral votes short. Thus, we haven’t had a female V.P., and Palin has been nominated to be the first female V.P.

I could break it down into smaller pieces if needed, but we should probably just go ahead and give you a ribbon of participation, just like the ones you probably received a lot of to preserve your self esteem while in school.

67. Skeptical says:

Can someone please look into releasing comments from your filters. I have made 3 attempts to respond to Buzz and they have all magically disappeared. You guys are beginning to look like a bunch of candy ass pussies who can’t take any criticism. I’m just sayin’…

68. Skeptical says:

Damnit! This is the last time I am typing out a response about Troopergate:

Oh! You meant actually being elected VP? I give Mrs. Palin the same odds right now as Geraldine Ferraro in 1984.

Now, in regards to Troopergate. You can claim it’s just about her trying to protect her family, but again its not. It’s about the blatant disregard for law in the face of carrying out a personal vendetta.

I can quote too:

So let’s put this all together.

I’m going to take my chances with Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan, the respected former Chief of the Anchorage Police Department, and the Attorney General who was asked to investigate the matter and turned up wrongdoing on Palin and her secessionist husband’s part.

I would rather not have a petty, vindictive bitch being one 72 year old heartbeat away from the Oval Office.

69. Progressive Dem says:

I’m willing to stipulate that Palin is a competent governor, and it isn’t necessary to comment on her daughter or husband, but I don’t see how she is a reformer, and I don’t understand why conservatives accept her.

She was for the bridge to nowhere before she opposed it. She is a huge pork bareller: requesting and receiving $27 million in earmarks for Wasilla (a town of 9,000 people)and this year as governor asking for $137 million for Alaska. She may be a fresh face, but she knows how to play the good ol’ boy network in DC with lobbysts and two of the most corrupt members of Congress – Ted Stephens and and Don Young. She redistributes the profits of the oil companies to the citizens of Alaska. Is that a conservative policy? She was a director of Ted Stephens 527 organization. Didn’t McCain make negaitve comments about 527 groups having no place in American politics? And just how is she prepared to take on what John McCain calls the “transcent challeng of the 21st century – radical Islamic extremism?”

I would question her judgement about becoming pregnant when running for governor. That doesn’t seem like a good idea for her her, her child and the people of Alaska. She was back at work three days later. Every mother I’ve known takes 6 weeks off.

70. Skeptical says:

Damnit! This is the last time I am typing out a response about Troopergate:

I can quote too:

So let’s put this all together.

I would rather not have a petty, vindictive book-banning bitch being one 72 year old heartbeat away from the Oval Office.

71. Icarus says:

“but I don’t see how she is a reformer,”

We’ll take this one first,

Pailin took on her own sitting governor, not just by running against him, but first by turning in another appointee for ethical violations. When the governor didn’t back her, and suggested she go along and get along, she resigned the commission. When the other person was criminally charged and found guilty, she then decided to challenge the incumbent Gov and won.

It takes a special person to challenge the power of incumbancy, especially within your own party. Alaska isn’t like most states. The state actually owns all sub-surface mineral rights. As such, the oil royalties they control directly impact the everyday lives of each Alaskan. If you think the crumbs dealt to Georgians with our supplemental budget are worth fighting over, you really would enjoy Alaskan state politics. Taking on that power structure, and winning, is a big deal.

The reason that other Republicans, or at least this one, see this as important, is that we needed more Sarah Palins prior to 2006. If we had a few more in Congress, we would still be the majority party. The closest thing we had in Congress was none other than John McCain.

That is why we are energized by this ticket. Some of us hopeless Mr. Smith types really do want Washington cleaned up. And for that to happen, we need someone willing to stand up to their own party too, not just to attack the other.

72. bird says:

D. Deal, you keep repeating the same stale point about sexism. You are the sexist by suggesting that we can criticize a VP nominee because she is a woman. If you sign up for the nomination, you sign up for criticism, regardless of what sex you are.

It is antithetical to American values to try to stifle an open and vigorous debate that is seeking to determine who is the best person or policy. Yes, it’s Unamerican.

And we’ve all seen the diversity on the floor of that St. Paul convention compared to Denver.

73. Progressive Dem says:

Two of John McCain’s strongest campaign messages have been confornting radical Islamic extremist and ending pork barell spending. He has built his reputation on these issues. And yet he throws these principles under the Straight Talk Express Bus when he picks Sara Palin.

She has never demonstrated any interest or knowledge in foreign policy, and yet McCain said dealing with radical Islam was the challenge of the century. The man is 72 years old and about to take on one of the most difficult jobs in the world. Who does he choose to replace him, if his health fails? Someone that has start being tutored as of last Friday. Is that America first?

Alaska is perhaps the worst example of pork barrel spending, and she is a willing participant. What happened to John McCain’s principles about that issue?

He once opposed torture, but not anymore. He once opposed the Bush tax cuts, but not anymore. He once proposed comprehensive immigration reform, but not anymore.

John McCain is one whale of a flip- flopper.

74. Progressive Dem says:

“we needed more Sarah Palins prior to 2006.”

If you had a few more barellers, if you had some more gun rights representatives, if you had some more supporters of intellegent design, a few more supporters of absintence, a few more wind-profit taxers, a few more people to deny global warming, you still be the majority party?

Yeah that’s the ticket.

75. Icarus says:

It continues to amaze me at how absolutely unhinged the Palin pick has you guys. You weren’t prepared for it. The first 72 hours you guys spent attacking her with criticisms that apply to the top guy on your ticket. Now that you’re realizing that’s a mistake, you’re going back to attacking her for relying on God and Guns.

Keep it up, guys. Keep it up.

76. Progressive Dem says:

It is not a matter of being unprepared. McCain decision has fundamentaly changed the campaign, and given Democrats lots of targets to blast away at. McCain gave away the the experience argument. Now he wants to run on change. McCain can’t win that one against Obama. This controversy has taken the Republicans way off message. It is a huge opportunity for Democrats, which are already reflected in the tracking polls.

77. Bill Simon says:

Icarus Sez: “Some of us hopeless Mr. Smith types really do want Washington cleaned up. And for that to happen, we need someone willing to stand up to their own party too, not just to attack the other.”

YEAH! AND…apparently MY e-mail of my 9-year history of taking on my own party got lost in the shuffle…otherwise, I would have been the VP nominee. 🙂

78. Icarus says:

Bill, the last time you tried to field dress a moose, it was on Bob Barr’s living room floor. Let’s just say she also has a little bit of tact, which goes a long way…

79. GOPeach says:

Yep!

The Dems picked Biden thinking McCain would pick Romney. The threw Hillary under the bus and expected he to kiss Obama’s ring ( I am being nice – for a change… Get it … change?)

Anyway… No way did the dems think McCain the old War Admiral would pick a “broad” to stand at his right hand… no way.

Hey… we the people of the Republic were shocked also ( in a good way that is). This is why we are so very happy! Oh yeah – we are happy –

80. Progressive Dem says:

The suburban woman is the target of both campaigns. Video of the governor squeesing off a few rounds from an assualt rifle is not going to impress them. Promoting intelligent design isn’t going to win their votes either. A pregnant teenage daughter, might generate sympathy among that voter demographic, but doesn’t garner respect. Working and non-working mothers will admire her for holding elective office, but will question her judgement when she becomes pregnant in the middle of the campaign. She hid that pregnancy knowing that many voters would diapprove. To better serve her constitutents she went right back to work three days after delivering, but many working and non-working moms would find that troubling.

Se helps with the base, but misses the key target block of voters.

81. bowersville says:

Progressive D, I think you kinda lost people just like Skeptical.

Skeptical complains when a Governor pressures a commissioner to fire a Trooper, who among other things, put a taser to a child. I guess if he’d tasered a dog, that would be different.

“I would question her judgement about becoming pregnant when running for Governor.” Do you actually hear what your are saying? Translation, “Women that are ambitious and want to become pregnant need to stay home.”

82. John Konop says:

How many of you agree with Rush?

Rush Limbaugh on Jamie Lynn Spears: “The Parents here are the culprits!”

“The parents here are the culprits!”
    –Rush Limbaugh reacting to the news in December 2007 that teen actress Jamie Lynn Spears was pregnant

Full exchange:

CALLER: Would you tend to think that a family in this position, though, wouldn’t you think that there would be a more watchful eye as a parent to be watching over these kids so this doesn’t happen to them?

83. Progressive Dem says:

Not at all. Women and men should plan their families around their lifestyle, income and ability to raise the child in the best possible environment. Certaintly we have heard from many on the right about mothers having children without the necessary support system or income to support them. There are right times and wrong times to becomepregnant. That’s why birth control was invented and so important to the women’s movement. It allows women/families to take control of their lives. Embarking on a difficult campaign and a job, and then becoming pregnant is not good judgement.

84. Icarus says:

Progressive Dem, I think you’ve mentioned several times now that Palin had bad judgement to get pregnant during a campaign, and then hid it from the voters.

Palin was elected governor in November 2006. Her son was born in April, 2008. Just how long do you suppose she was pregnant?

As for Konop’s question, I almost never listen to Rush, and do not consider him my spokesperson.

85. bowersville says:

“Embarking on a difficult campaign and a job, and then becoming pregnant is not good judgement.”

Same thing you said before. Tell me how quick an employer would get an EEOC complaint with that attitude towards women performing difficult jobs that became pregnant?

86. Bill Simon says:

“RUSH: I would certainly hope so, but it’s long past time for this to happen. The parents here are the culprits!”

Well…technically, the parents are at fault for having the kids to start with. Had they not had kids, these kids would be around today embarrasing their parents.

Of course, since Queen Hillary wrote her tome of “It Takes A Village” to raise a child, then by HRC’s logic, it is society’s fault about how the kids act.

87. Progressive Dem says:

The job of child rearing doesn’t end with the delivery. It begins. She knows that and yet she still became pregnant while running for governor. The first few years of a childs life are critical and the first few months more so. She applied for a very difficult job and simultaneously became responsible for raising an infant. Why do both? If she wanted a 5th child, maybe she should have waited and found out something about the job envirnment to see how compatible it would be to raising an infant. You know get her feet wet. And let me ask this: do you know anybody that goes back to work three days after delivering? If your daughter or wife did that, would that raise a few flags?

88. Progressive Dem says:

The real issues like being a pork barrel spender? I’m waiting for the conservatives to defend her on that position. Or how how about her redistributing the windfall profits of the oil companies? Or her positions on intelligent design? Please, go ahead.

89. Icarus says:

“and yet she still became pregnant while running for governor”

Again, you are so unhinged by this pick that you can’t slow down to enough to let facts get in the way of your argument.

Her campaign was over in November, 2006.

Her child was born 18 months later, in April 2008.

1) how long do you think the human gestation period is?

2) If a male governor fathered a child (which happens pretty often) either while campaigning or in office, would you be asking the same question?

keep it up, guys. keep it up.

90. Rusty says:

Bill,
    Try addressing the substance of the link. Allegations of shilling are downright laughable from you and the other clowns on this site.

91. Bill Simon says:

This is a replication of ANYTHING PD says: “Blah…blah-blah……blah-BLAH-blah-blah….Sarah Palin is the DEVIL….blah—blah…blah…I worship Barack Obama…”

92. drjay says:

her level of experience seems to most closely mirror that of calvin coolidge’s before he became vp and he was one of the greats…

93. Rusty says:

Bill,
    If you’re suggesting I’m getting paid, I hope you have proof. Libel lawsuits have been filed and won over less than that.

If you’re not, then what’s your point?

94. Doug Deal says:

PD,

Thanks for outing the ’50 view of women that the Democrats still hold. In your view, men can do anything they want, but the women need to get back into the kitchen and take care of the kids.

You Dems are a bunch of sexists, and if given the chance to shine some light on you, you pretty much are a bunch of racists as well.

95. Progressive Dem says:

Count on BS to denegrate it to the personal; always the tactics of a losing position. And right, the posts on this subject are a part a grand conspiracy to infiltrate a site like PP that is dominated by supporters of Fred Thompson, Hukabee, Romney, Ron Paul and Rudy. I’m sure that is a cornerstone of the Democratic campaign strategy. You might check your supply of lithium, Bill.

96. Progressive Dem says:

Doug, I love the tactic you use. Limbaugh does the same thing. Thanks for telling me what my views are. Those are your words not mine.

I will back up and say I was wrong about the date of her pregnancy, and that she had enough time to determine if the job and raising a new born were compatible.

I’m still waiting for the conservatives to defend her position on pork barrel spending. Or how she is prepared to be the heartbeat of a 72 year-old away from being commander in chief.

97. umustbekidding says:

The sad thing is, there is no “heartbeat” in front of Obama to give him time for on the job Experience. At least she will have that going for her if, God forbid, McCain dies.

98. Romegaguy says:

Bill if you had tits you might have been the VP nominee

Did I just read that Gov Palin put on a strap on and plugged Ron Paul?

99. wmo says:

“Did I just read that Gov Palin put on a strap on and plugged Ron Paul?”

Best… threadkiller…. ever….

100. Goldwater Conservative says:

I may not be the first to say something on this thread about this. I have not read all of the comments above.

High-tech lynching? How is this any different than what Obama has been through in the past year? Actually, more importantly…atleast all of the stuff that is being weighed against Palin is true and not an unsubstantiated lie.

Obama has been acused of being everything from a sleeper terrorist, a closet muslim, inexperienced, not black enough, etc.

You ask me…Palin is the worst thing to happen to the GOP. The GOP needs to get over the evangelical garbage. They will vote republican anyway. Furthermore, the Palin VP choice negates McCain’s best argument.

McCain sticking to the inexperience factor with Obama has stuck and has been working. Palin negates this argument. Whoopty do, she has been the Governor of Alaska for a year and a half. The CEO of Fulton county is more experienced than Palin. Heck, Shirley Franklin is more experienced. I can go on.

If McCain wanted women votes and to be able to stick to his message…pick a qualified veep, not the Prom Queen. Why didn’t Condi Rice make the cut?

101. Doug Deal says:

Nixon “Conservative”,

Outside of the comment about Obama being inexperienced, none of the other things you have stated has been claimed by any credible source. Obama is the most inexperienced Presidential candidate in history. That much is true. I love how you try to negate it by burying it within spurious claims.

On the other hand, Palin has been accused by the most influential left wing blog of faking her own pregnancy to cover up for her daughter having a baby. She has been called a bad mother by the main stream press for running for Vice President with a 4 month old special needs child. She has been called a token, a Nazi, and a successionist.

If you want the truth from you, just take the exact opposite of whatever you say.

Do all of you liberals live on Bizarro world?

102. BubbaRich says:

Doug:

Do we really need to dig through RedState and see what the wingnuts have been alleging and accusing Obama of being/doing?

I don’t frequent any left-wing haunts, so I haven’t heard anything except that Palin is against sex education and for abstinence-only education, and she and he daughter both accidentally conceived out-of-wedlock, so we might not want to use her ideas for sex education.

103. Doug Deal says:

Then do it, BR, be my guest. Post your results with links. I do not like RedState all that much, but at least they will challenge spurious attacks by agitators.

But, if you do find something, keep in mind that Red State is a tiny blog compared to DailyKOS, and the DailyKOS stuff was picked up by the MSM.

The post about Palin’s “faked pregnancy” had over 1900 supportive comments.

104. Bill Simon says:

I’m done debating Dimocrats. My responses from this point forward will be this or variations thereof:

You Dimocrats are going to be SO F*CKED this November 4th!

105. Pingback: SLHP « Chamblee54
  106. GOPeach says:

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW !!!!!

I don’t know weather to laugh, cry, scream, or go to bed… I am wired!!!!! The best man in the presidential race is a LADY!

John McCain had WON!!! TONIGHT HE WON!!!

107. umustbekidding says:

Palin did a great job!!
    Every average American out there will connect to her. (Men – she’s a life time member of the NRA, enough said.)

I wish the handlers had not made her husband shave. I thought his facial hair made him look like a man anyone could connect with. Plus all my Harley riding friends liked that he looked like them!

108. Goldwater Conservative says:

Doug Deal,

Again, you prove how little you know. Abraham Lincoln is the least experienced. He served 1 term in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Bizarro world? Just weeks ago Rove was talking about how bad Tim Kaine would be for Obama because: “He was the mayor of Richmond, a town of 200,000…only the 105th largest city in the country. He was the Lt. Governor of Virginia and became the Governor only recently.” Last week Rove stated: “Palin is a great choice, her experience as mayor of her home town…which the the second largest city in Alaska and her experience as Governor of Alaska make her highly qualified.”

Even the people that are getting paid by the GOP are having a hard time selling Palin as a decent choice. Nearly everything that has been coming out about her is fact. Credible source (i.e. the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, etc) have been focusing on her past.

Historic pandering. The presidential campaigns have been going on longer than Palin’s experience as the governor of Alaska.

109. GOPeach says:

u must be kidding …

That Todd Palin is one fine looking man. Lord have mercy! When he flashes that big smile as he holds that precious baby boy….

You want to crawl through the TV screen and bite both of them! They are toooooo cute!

I am so proud of that family I can not stand it! We have our VP! ….. The glass slipper was never a wingtip – it was a slingback pump.

Go get’em Saracuta!!!!
    You go Hockey Mom!!!!
    Put on that lipstick – you little pit bull, you!!!

The gloves are off!

110. umustbekidding says:

All this crap about the size of Alaska’s population is pointless.
    I have to say if we are going to start counting people and the size of a district to decide if someone is qualified, why stop there? How about land size? The nuber of Square miles a person is in charge of, Texas Gov. good – R.I. or Maine too small so your Gov. will never be President.
    Or we could choose our President by the average income of their citizens. That way only Gov. and Senators from high income areas will get in, after all if they make more money they must be better educated therefore they will make better choices, right?
    Silly isn’t it?

111. bowersville says:

Just a tad of difference in picking a mayor/governor running mate for McCain and picking a mayor running mate for Obama.

McCain has experience serving this country that nobody has credibly challenged. Obama, not so much.

Yes, every news media outlet has been all over Palin’s past. Even her husband’s 20+ year old DUI. Obama’s admitted cocaine usage and the rest of his past, not so much.

Double standard? You bet.

112. Doug Deal says:

FDR “Conservative”,

So now Rove is your expert of choice when talking about elections. At least I am consistant in that regard and think the man is trash, and should be ignored, but he now seems to be a personal hero of yours. Is he wrong or are you just completely unable to set aside partisanship to hear what you want to hear.

Like I said, Bizarro world.

113. Goldwater Conservative says:

Bowersville,

And Palin’s comments about Hilary back just a few months ago were not sexist…just like everything that has been coming out against Palin is not sexist.

It is astonishing. The population of alaska has only come up because the GOP brought it up first. If Rove never made the comments he made about Tim Kaine…it probably would not matter. Albeit, Kaine is not the VP nominee…but the arguents are still relevant.

Obama came clean about his drug use before he ran for U.S. Senate…the media did not have to dig it up. He has not been trying to hide anything.

Double standard? Not at all.

Unless you are a partisan.

What makes me most upset is that popular, beautiful airhead got the prize again. If McCain wanted a woman (there is not disputing that was the number 1 factor in his pick) he should have picked Condi Rice.

114. drjay says:

even a hyper partisan like me realizes rice would not have worked–nor would any other pick closely associated w/ the current admin. he literally picked one of the 2 women farthest removed from it–had he gone w/ lingle she would have been figuratively farhter away too–but the right would never have accepted her…

115. Goldwater Conservative says:

The real pain is that too many people care about one thing: abortion.

I thought that after the 2006 midterms the GOP would moderate and drop the evangelical extremism that cost them that election. 2006 showed that issues of compassion for the less fortunate were more important than the abortion issue.

I still think Condi would have been allright. She is removed from the Iraq War enough to be palatable. You are probably right though, drjay. She is too close the current administration.

For the future of the party…the evangelists need to be dropped. They were a good addition in the late 70’s but have become a serious liability.

116. Doug Deal says:

GC,

So you criticize the Republicans for being to concerned about abortion, but you give the Democrats a pass. This is why your credibility suffers (besides the fact that you have failed to ever really support even one conservative issue from Goldwater).

Abortion is too much a part of the Republican party, and I criticize them constantly for that. The fact is, however, that it is worse on the Democrat side. Until this year, the DNC refused to allow “pro-life” candidates to speak at the convention. The desperation of losing election after election forced them into accepting a couple token “pro-life” candidates in 2006, but it is still only a thin veneer to cover their complete intolerance on the issue.

117. GOPeach says:

Condi simply dose not connect with married women who are mothers as she is pro-choice. All the black people I know says she is ” Bush’s bitch” and she is not really “black”…..

Condi would have been a big mistake.

118. John Konop says:

Doug in fairness Goldwater was a fiscal conservative and a libertarian on social issues which is consistent with GC. I do agree with you both parties have an issue with extremist on abortion. That is why I support moving the issue back to the State and local communities so it is not used as a political football on both sides while ignoring real federal issues.

FYI

The father of the Conservative Movement
    Barry Goldwater was the American politician most often credited for sparking the resurgence of the American conservative political movement

He was criticized in 1964 as a radical reactionary, yet he energized a conservative grass roots movement which, sixteen years later, helped to nominate and elect Ronald Reagan. However, after 1981, the influence of the Christian Right on the Republican Party so conflicted with Goldwater’s libertarian views, that he openly voiced his opposition.
    In a 1994 interview with the Washington Post the retired Senator said, “When you say ‘radical right’ today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye.” He said about Jerry Falwell, founder of the Moral Majority, “I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the ass,” in response to Falwell’s opposition to the nomination of Sandra Day O’Connor to the Supreme Court where Falwell said, “Every good Christian should be concerned.”

119. Goldwater Conservative says:

Konop, you should be in Congress. Tom Price is one of the biggest problems in Washington.

Doug, the abortion issue does not cause many people to lose, for one. Secondly, intolerance of the issue? The Democrats believe in an individual’s choice…not a government mandate over a private matter. The same goes for the marriage issue.

Even Palin wants her daughter’s decision to be private…ironically she does not believe that every other American should be allowed to make their own decision on matters of pregnancy.

120. GOPeach says:

Gold –

“The Government” thinks abortion is “the choice” of women to murder a living child “legally” while HANDING THE INVOICE to people like ME to pay!

I can’t help but wonder what would have happened had this hennas crime been legal during the founding of this great nation. We would not have an AMERICA! ….

Come to think of it… I think we are now known as AMEXICA. ….

Yeah … it’s an issue! Without question!

121. Doug Deal says:

Konop,

You don’t need to be so uppity by assuming the rest of us do not know who Goldwater is.

Goldwater believed in small government. He believed in federalism and state’s rights. That is the one and only standard that I use is calling people conservative. I am the one who calls “social conservatives” “socialists who believe in God”.

That being said, let me know when GC ever supports a truly conservative cause. He is a “conservative” in the mold of Richard Nixon, who was the single biggest big-government “conservatives” of our time.

122. Doug Deal says:

GC,

The abortion issues causes huge numbers of candidates to lose, particularly in places like Ohio, Pennsylvania, California, New York, Nevada, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Deleware and Massachusetts. Believe it or not, many seats in these places are winnable, but not when the party looks like it wants to inflict Southern values on people who are not Southern. How many Southerners would want California or New York values inflicted upon them?

The Republicans in Congress would have overwelming majorites in both houses if they would leave it at overturning Roe on an unconstitutional basis and stop making it a Federal issue. It has been my long term argument that it is the anti-abortion “freedom fighters” that have kept late term abortion legal.

The federal government has no place in regulating abortion one way or another. It is a state issue and should be left up to the states. Just as murder is illegal because of state law and things like tatoo parlors and braiding shops are regulated by the state.

Until Republicans get back to their small government roots, they will continuously be battered at the polls at an electorate that can tell very little apart from them and the Democrats.

123. Icarus says:

Nixon opened us up to China, and took us off the gold standard, so that they could make us cheap Nikes and loan us $6 trillion to buy them. What’s not to love about Nixon.

(ducks and runs for cover from Indy, Konop, …)

124. John Konop says:

Doug

The question is not should we trade with China it is how. I am for free trade under free market concepts I learned from the father Adam Smith. Labor must have legal rights ie no slave and prison labor. The country must respect the rule of law ie contacts, IP rights….. I agree with Adam Smith if they violate you must fine them enough via tariffs to kill the incentive to cheat. And we must enforce the agreement or it is meaning less.

As far as the gold standard the value of our money is being manipulated to cover up out of control spending from Washington. Do you disagree? Many so called conservatives argued with me years ago until inflation hit!

Finally I usually notice GC advocating fiscally conservative policies. I do re-call him unlike others speaking out against bills like Farm, No Child, Highway……Most of his debates center around the social issues from what I re-call or Iraq. This would fall into the Libertarian world view in my opinion. If you re-call Bush ran on us not being the policemen of the world.