The Atlanta Police Department: It’s only worth going after certain crimes

Atlanta police say a mini-crackdown on aggressive panhandling in the city’s Peachtree Corridor has yielded 40 arrests in the past 20 days.

Police also made 50 “interventions” — interrupting aggressive panhandling incidents before they reached a stage warranting arrest.

Just to clarify: Panhandling is illegal. The Atlanta Police Department is supposed to enforce the law. But when panhandling isn’t “aggressive” enough, then it’s okay? What twisted and lazy logic. The Zone 5 commander, Major Khirus Williams, should educate his officers that “interventions” aren’t the way to go with any panhandling incidents…arrests are.

1. Tea Party says:

City of Atlanta doesn’t get it–Panhandly activity makes visitors and residents nervous because you are not sure if the ‘handler is going to become violent or simply distasteful. And giving up coin is not helpful, in the long run.

These folks work in packs, have been for years and frankly, living in other major cities cannot understand why this activity is allowed to continue. San Fran has funny ‘handlers and they are at least amusing and not ‘aggressive’

Here were two memorable lines: “You don’t have to be Rockefeller to help a fella” or “$100 for the homeless” make you laugh and then dig.

We need a program to educate the homeless on effective beggin’ techniques….

2. Common Sense says:

“Truly I say to you, Inasmuch as you have done it to one of the least of these my brothers, you have done it to me.”

Hopefully God has the bail money.

3. Rick Day says:

I speak from experience, I deal with the ‘chronically unemployed’ daily living in Midtown.

We used to get hassled. Now my wife just screams at them to go away. Ever have a Yankee woman scream at you to go away?

Recently, since I openly carry my .38 snub on my belt, vagrants always steer clear of us these days.

go figure.

The solution to the crime problem in Atlanta is for more people to openly carry sidearms. It instills the thought in thugs that for every gun viewed, there are a score more, concealed.

Makes a vagrant think twice these days, ya know?

4. Doug Deal says:

When I was a prisonerstudent at Georgia Tech, when I would see someone downtown coming up to me to hassle me for money, I would ask them for money first.

Nothing stops pan-handlers faster than a pre-emptive strike.

5. Doug Deal says:

oops, forgot to close the strike tag

Nothing stops pan-handlers faster than a pre-emptive strike.

6. Tea Party says:

@rick day You, my lad, are a hoot!

I have always said that an armed society is a polite society.

If I hear a Yankee lady and see a guy carrying around the Fox, I’ll be sure to say ‘Hey’…

7. Game Fan says:

You wouldn’t even need to point the thing. Just stand there with your legs apart and your arms out front. Just pretend you’re playing a piano.

8. Rick Day says:

er..TEa..I’m 52. Yeah I know..hard to believe..look for the really tall man and really short yankee woman walking their basset hounds and say howdy-do. We walk the entire Spring/5th/Peachtree/3rd quadrant