John McCain + Ralph Reed = New Obama Ad

The Obama Campaign is releasing an ad targeted at Georgia voters referencing the links between Ralph Reed, Jack Abramoff and John McCain.

The script is as follows:

It was one of Washington’s biggest scandals. And the Republican power broker Ralph Reed was in the middle of it. In deep with convicted felon and lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

“But when the Senate investigated, the senator in charge never even called Reed to testify….And that senator? John McCain. And who’s now raising money for McCain’s campaign? Ralph Reed. For 26 years in Washington, John McCain’s played the same old games. We just can’t afford more of the same.

If you’d like to read the AJC’s take you can… the second commenter on the AJC’s site seems strikingly familiar…

———–

UPDATE by Erick: The McCain has issued a statement on the ad, which they say is “supposedly running” in Georgia. Brian Rogers with the campaign says:

“Barack Obama’s ad is ridiculous. Because of John McCain, corruption was exposed and people like Jack Abramoff went to jail.

“However, if Barack Obama wants to have a discussion about truly questionable associations, let’s start with his relationship with the unrepentant terrorist William Ayers, at whose home Obama’s political career was reportedly launched. Mr. Ayers was a leader of the Weather Underground, a terrorist group responsible for countless bombings against targets including the U.S. Capitol, the Pentagon and numerous police stations, courthouses and banks. In recent years, Mr. Ayers has stated, ‘I don’t regret setting bombs … I feel we didn’t do enough.’

“The question now is, will Barack Obama immediately call on the University of Illinois to release all of the records they are currently withholding to shed further light on Senator Obama’s relationship with this unrepentant terrorist?”

I don’t much think the Obama ad works. And I don’t much think the McCain response works either.

1. Weak attack, weak response. If these two are going to duke it out, can we at least degrade into normal mud slinging? Someone dig up Zell and see if he can’t challenge Obama or McCain to a duel.

2. I apologize. I shouldn’t have called the US Senators “clowns”. Please excuse the frustration.

Also, to be more accurate, I should have said the majority of “likely voters” wants Congressman Barr in the debates.

Eric and/or Clayton,

If I had front page posting rights, I promise to tone down the rhetoric and go into information providing mode. I’ll even stick to the “issues concerning Georgians” rule. How about a 30 day trial. Just a thought.

3. Jmac says:

It is weak on both accounts. With Georgia being a red state, tying McCain to a well-known, albeit shady, Republican won’t play as well. Plus, it’s disjointed from other Obama contrast ads running in battleground states which focus on the economy or other hyper-local issues.

The McCain ad didn’t seem thought-out though. Kind of a ‘quick, what can we say!’ kinda thing.

4. jsm says:

“Keating Five.”

Oooh, scary.

“Are they afraid that if the average American sees these guys side by side they’ll realize who the better choice is?”

Daniel, average Americans saw Ron Paul on stage during the primary and were not willing to vote for his ideas. With all due respect, Bob Barr, similarly, is not seen as a viable contender. No matter what he says, people are not going to vote en masse for someone whom they don’t believe can win. Certainly, the GOP leadership is more concerned about his level of exposure, because of the demographic that would consider him and deny McCain a few precious percentage points. I doubt that the democrats care whether Barr is involved or not.

5. 1.) Cong. Barr, with all due respect, is a better candidate than Ron Paul. Maybe not more knowledgeable on some issues but definitely more articulate.

2.) I hope you hear what you’re saying, it sounds like you’re saying it’s OK for the GOP leadership to keep Barr’s level of exposure down because their afraid people might vote for him.

3.) Their, the GOP leadership, concern is unwarranted and unproven. Just because they’ve got every talking head on T.V. repeating the accusation doesn’t represent proof. Ask them to provide proof, they won’t and can’t. All data shows that libertarians draw evenly from both sides of the political spectrum, unlike the Greens(left) and the Constitution party(right). As a matter of fact if you look at the crosstabs of some of the latest polling done every time Obama is specific about a policy, Congressman Barr is drawing more from the Dems.

4.) Bob Barr, similarly, is not seen as a viable contender I remember in the GOP primary this was said about Huckabee and within a couple of weeks he became viable. I also remember McCain being seen as “dead in the water”… hmmm. Things can change very quickly in politics and that is why I believe he is being excluded. If they thought that he was no threat, they would allow him to participate.

6. GOPeach says:

This ad was like pouring GASOLINE on a FIRE!

Thank you Osama! Perfect timing – Now all the CONSERVATIVES supporters like me will SHORE UP our support and Obama will go down in flames in JAW JAH!

I am sure this ad makes Casey Cagle feel like the ass he really is! The Dems are using CASEY’S rhetoric to hurt our future president.

OXENDINE 2010!

7. jsm says:

“it sounds like you’re saying it’s OK for the GOP leadership to keep Barr’s level of exposure down because their afraid people might vote for him.”

I didn’t say it was okay. I just offered my perception of concerns within the GOP.

I’m not sure the comparison to Huckabilly is valid. Most couch potato Americans don’t critically analyze candidates’ platforms, and if they even know who Barr is, they remember him for the Clinton impeachment and the ACLU. Huckabilly at least got some press about being an Arkansas governor and a preacher. I’m not downing Barr–just giving my opinion on public perception of him. If I were him, I’d be looking for ways to make some big waves in the press.

8. rugby fan says:

This ad was like pouring GASOLINE on a FIRE!

OXENDINE 2010!

Only GOPeach could mention Obama’s campaign, re-hash the Republican LG primary, all while stumping for Oxendine in 2010.

Schizophrenia is a wonderful thing.

9. rugby fan says:

Good catch Ic.

However, as official scorekeeper I must deduct 50 points from you for usurping my authority and deduct a further 50,000 for questioning me.

If Peach Pundit had offices you would be moved to another building.

10. Icarus says:

It would be easier for you to assert your authority if you were around more often. I can only assume you’re on a secret mission for The Children, or that you’re trying to rehab Jace from his Libertarian brainwashing.

11. rugby fan says:

I was on a mission indeed but it was with the glorious TMC.

The TMC is great and promotes nothing but happiness and unicorns (for the children).

12. Icarus says:

Well, now that they’ve crushed all the dreams, it makes no sense to not join them. Especially now that they have the magic unicorns.