1. GOPGrassroots says:

I’m glad to see someone taking action to address this situation! Chambliss shows his maturity when he reaches out and puts together a team of both Republicans and Democrats to work together in the face of a crisis…instead of grandstanding and/or firing off half-brained press releases attacking everyone else’s plan as some other members do so that they can return home and tell everyone how tough they are.

We want results, not political theatrics.

2. odinseye2k says:

Hmmm … overall, I’d have to say it’s not bad. There are a couple of patently stupid things in there (like coal-to-liquid Nazi technology).

The nitpicking space nerd in me wants to point out that you can’t call something an “Apollo-like” effort until you pony up something like 2-4% GDP. That’s about $300-500 billion / year. That’s huge.

But the bad is balanced with the good … at this point, I think it’s smart to shift federal incentives away from developing wind and solar production (leave some federal R&D for industry-wide issues) and toward the distribution and storage problems as higher priorities.

The improvement of the nuke commission ain’t bad either.

I would very much like to see some extra cash put up for geothermal, though.

But, I don’t see it as much more than a very vanilla, middle-of-the-road proposal. Just about what to expect from a reasonable, maybe useful to Democrats someday, guy like Saxby.

3. Chambliss shows his maturity when he reaches out and puts together a team of both Republicans and Democrats to work together in the face of a crisis… That is because there is no difference between big government Saxby and the Democrats.

This plan is laughable. The arrogance just amazes me. They actually believe that they can fix economic problems by growing government (more regulations, more spending and more intrusive involvement), when the problems were enhanced if not created by government in the first place. Government, especially the Federal government, needs to get out of the way and let the free market be free. Less regulations, less involvement it what is needed. If they would do this, then the innovative and entrepreneurial spirit of America would thrive once more.

4. YourFutureLeader says:

This plan does very little to move us away from our dependence on oil, foreign or domestic. Which is the biggest thing people are missing. Its not about where the oil comes from, its about the fact that we are dependent on a source that wont be around a whole lot longer…

5. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

James, support from Newt who?

Why do you guys (D’s and R’s) still hang onto people who’ve been out of power for over a decade; Newt and Nunn? I just don’t get it.

6. odinseye2k says:

Don’t look at me. I’ve got no kind of Nunn worship symptoms. I’ve got plenty of current incumbents to be happy with.

7. Erick says:

Dig deep and it is a plan with no real substance, just a lot of wishes dependent on other members of Congress not involved in the deal.

8. Tinkerhell says:

I don’t’ see nearly enough specifics other than more spending.

I mostly agree with Daniel Adams.
    Don’t spend more of my money and don’t play around in private markets. Let em work. They will. Get rid of the restrictions on where we drill, let more refineries go up, facilitate nuke power. Those are the only things that are going to get us off foreign dependency quickly.
    Then if you want to offer some rewards/incentives to whoever comes up with a better battery and a viable, mass market solar cell, or a mister fusion to strap onto the old delorean, great.

9. GOPGrassroots says:

Work with the Democrats – Don’t work with the Democrats

Drill now – Don’t agree to drill anywhere until we can drill everywhere

We need Solutions – We need a winning Campaign Issue for Republicans

Let the free market work – Keep all the oil industry tax incentives in place

I for one am glad we have Saxby and Johnny in the Senate instead of all these policy and political “experts”.

10. odinseye2k says:

Hate to tell you all, the market is working.

We’ve hit the maximum amount of oil (or will soon) that will ever be produced. Further, we’ve drilled out all of the stuff that is cheap and easy to get to. Even the “easy” offshore stuff requires the construction of rather major feats of engineering that can withstand punishing force surges and corrosive environments. I doubt those things are cheap to operate.

However, part of the free market working is $4 / gallon oil. The Oil Cos. got their energy monopoly, and there is no immediate substitution good on a mass scale. The alternatives are a substitute, but they will take time and investment (which is surging to the sector) to capitalize.

Selfishly speaking, I don’t care about $4 / gallon gas. My car is parked four days out of the week. I live two miles from where I work and only need to drive on weekends to perform errands and go to the bar or whatever.

But, part of that market working is folks dropping their SUVs, getting some energy efficient commuter option going (Sandy Springs MARTA, anyone?).

The trick is you either get to say “do nothing,” which is the free market, and stop your bitching, or accept that we have to work together to have an actual solution.

11. kcordell says:

What stands out in this proposal is the 50 mile buffer zone. That automatically excludes some of the most productive areas we already know about. Also, I believe ANWR is within this buffer zone and I see no mention of the shale oil in Col.

12. Rick Day says:

What the hell is a weatherization assistance program? Weather modification?

I see….goodies for oil, I see goodies for coal and I see goodies for the newk-e-lar Family!

I see ‘next gen biofuels (hence the ‘bi-partisan support’ from NE, Old Bob’s gotta look out for corn industry!). Why not just grow and use hemp? Oh yeah…Schedule 1.

So, we want to continue to pour money into the above industries, while working at the same time to drive them, literally, out of business.

Hmm. If it comes from Congress these days, it never does what it is sold to us to do. Anyone here part of the 14% that think Congress is doing a good job?

13. odinseye2k says:

“What the hell is a weatherization assistance program?”

I take it you’ve never done an energy audit with Georgia Power. I would also assume you are a good candidate for weatherization assistance, which would teach you how and what to do.

For example, tightening the seal of doors and windows to keep air from going in and out of the building.

Also, “next gen biofuels” is usually defined as things like cellulosics, which would not support new corn growth, but rather make ethanol from the stalks and leftovers.