1. Trackboy1 says:

Not sure if Vernon will be remembered as Vernon “2 for 1” Jones, or Vernon “60/40” Jones. The dude was trounced tonight.

2. DemBones says:

Of course in DeKalb County, where Snuggles is from and supposedly better known it was more like Vernon “62/38” Jones. Maybe it’s time to move?

3. ChuckEaton says:

This is how I predicted the primary would turn out (Martin comes in second in the general primary and wins the runoff), although I didn’t think it would be by such a wide margin.

Obviously turn-out played a role. Counties easily won by Jones, like Dekalb and Clayton, were lost in the runoff. I also think Martin and the rest of the orginal candidates were largely splitting up the same demographics in the general primary.

4. GOPeach says:

I suspect there were a lot of crossover voting because I ran into a few friends in the grocery store with those little “I voted” sticker whom I KNOW for a fact are Saxby fans. Voters are so stupid. They elected the stronger one to run.

5. Weber says:

Heard last night that Vernon had specifically pushed Ann Kimbrough to run for CEO in the hopes that a run-off in DeKalb would boost turnout and help him in his expected Senate run-off.

Vernon just didn’t realize how unpopular he was in DeKalb. He ran up good margins in Augusta, Macon, and Columbus but got waxed at home.

Also heard that the AJC didn’t even ask Jones or Cardwell to meet with AJC editorial board before making their endorsement. Amazing….

6. ChuckEaton says:

In the DeKalb County General Primary Jones handidly beat Martin by 30%, so I don’t know if he was all that unpopular in Dekalb. In the Dekalb County runoff Martin walloped Jones by 60%.

So there were some turnout issues involved; in Dekalb and all over the state. Perhaps a combination of folks liking Martin and/or disliking Jones coming back out in higher percentages than the folks who supported Jones in the General Primary.

7. Progressive Dem says:

Jones would have lost DeKalb in the Primary if Cardwell’s votes went to Martin. Jones base of support in DeKalb did not exist. In fact Jones presence on the ballot encouraged turnout for Martin and Ellis. Turnout in central and northern DeKalb precincts was nearly the same or slightyly higher than in the primary.