And some tax bills have already been printed

It was too good to last.

One way or the other, homeowners may wind up paying higher property taxes because of the state’s fiscal crisis.

Gov. Sonny Perdue late last week placed a hold on the $428 million homeowners tax relief grant program and cut spending for schools and other programs.

The two moves were part of the plan Perdue and legislative leaders developed to deal with a possible $1.6 billion shortfall brought on by the slow economy.

If the economy picks up, some of the cuts may not be needed.

1. eburke says:

This is what happens when you depend on Sales Tax to finance local government and the State hits a shortfall. It is a shame that the County Commissioners, School Boards and City Councils will get blamed for the tax increase by the voters.

2. Crazy Bastard says:

@eburke:

How else do you propose that the state collect taxes?

Property?
    Gas?
    Use?
    Income?

Oh wait, they already do… So, how do you propose we change it? Instead of making a blanket comment about how inefficient it is, why don’t you offer up a solution?

Why is it a shame? These people have chosen to take these positions. When they signed up for it they should have known they were going to have to make tough decisions regarding taxes. No one has been forced to become an elected official, they just bitch when they are put in the place of doing what is right, rather that what is popular.

The right thing to do now is freeze millage rates and property evaluations. Then cut the hell out of useless and meaningless projects in the counties and state. I know this will not happen, but it needs to.

None of those people you mentioned would dare tell someone to get off welfare, stop taking their kids to the doctor every time they skin their knee, or just stop having kids they cannot afford. It’s the right thing to say… just not so popular.

I truly think more people would be more understanding if they did not see the awesome waste of resources by the state and county governments. But, wasting resources on “feel good” items is more popular than telling people to get off their asses and work.

3. odinseye2k says:

I could also say this standard operating procedure for the GOP …

Pass tax cuts based on extremely optimistic projects, and then when things start to hit the fan, declare a “crisis” and achieve cuts in programs that no one would agree to in a legitimate deliberative process.

4. Icarus says:

I don’t understand why we can’t get any information on any of these threads about any Hall county Democrat that might be running for the state house. Just seems like someone might want to spam a few pages and try to get the word out if there was someone. Perhaps someone like NewdayinGa or Concerned Hall could take the time to interrupt a few threads to let us know…

5. Romegaguy says:

Forget about Hall county or a Democratic candidate Icarus. Is there anyone running against Rep. James Mills?

6. Icarus says:

How do you expect me to care about that when I can’t find anyone to tell me where and when I can watch Paul Broun get sworn in?

7. Icarus says:

Of course not, but I’m hoping I can find it on TV somewhere when he is. I just hope we have someone on Peach Pundit that will tell us about it if it ever happens.