Just a Quick Word on that Atlanta Progressive News Article

This morning, you might have seen an article about me and my blogging on Atlanta Progressive News.com. While most of the article is correct — except for that part at the end about me donning camouflage attire, wearing nightvision goggles and being a covert campaign operative trying to steal secrets from former state Sen. Donzella James’ congressional campaign offices — there are three important things that Matthew Cardinale, news editor for Atlanta Progressive News, failed to mention.

1.) In 2006, Atlanta Progressive News received $145 from former Democratic Secretary of State candidate Angela Moore right before they endorsed her candidacy [Sources: State Ethics Commission; Atlanta Progressive News, “APN Issues Candidate Endorsements for 2006, Update 1”, July 6, 2006];

2.) This year, Atlanta Progressive News received $280 from the congressional campaign of former state Senator Donzella James and…big shocker…they endorsed her too [Sources: Federal Elections Commission; Atlanta Progressive News, “APN Announces 2008 Primary Endorsements for US House and Senate”, June 22, 2008]; and finally,

3.) Atlanta Progressive News endorsed “Able” Mable Thomas for Congress after they received $150 from the Thomas for Congress campaign [Sources: Federal Elections Commission; Atlanta Progressive News, “APN Announces 2008 Primary Endorsements for US House and Senate”, June 22, 2008].

Based on these three pieces of important information, it appears that the endorsement of Atlanta Progressive News is up for sale and for that reason, their criticisms leveled against me are somewhere near the top of Mount Hypocrisy.

The entire piece is laughable.

1. JamesStratfield says:

So Andre’s idea of addressing the content is to attack the source.

Great job Andre. Now can we actually get a straightforward answer about your past activity and current activity.

2. Lillian says:

Three comments:

There is little enough for main stream media types to give bloggers credit for. This stuff errodes what little is gained by the folks who do a good job with research and maintianing their credibility.

Second: APN is really not be the kind of outfit to grub lots of money. They seem to function with very low overhead and I certainly would not compare the the net gains from these candidates as exactly head turning amounts of money. Gan we really buy off a paper with $145? Hardly. You. Can’t.Be.Serious.

On the other hand the income Andre received isn’t chump change. A person could pay a few bills and fill up a gas tank with Vernon and David Scotts dispursements.

Finally, I long ago learned to filter out much of what Mr. Walker has to say about candidates and campaign strategy. On the other hand he seems to be the go-to guy on Roberts Rules, Bylaws and other process related items.

Perhaps that’s the issue Mr. Walker should blog on, and only that issue.

3. TPNoGa says:

Personally, I thought the story was a waste of time. Sorry, but it’s not like Watergate. As someone who is not a blogger or involved in campaign politics, I don’t care whether he received some consulting fees from a particular campaign. I am more worried about the new messiah status our MSM is giving to Obama. Now that’s a problem.

4. griftdrift says:

Doesn’t mitigate the fact that Andre took money from a campaign, wrote positively about that candidate and never once disclosed this to his readers.

5. Decaturguy says:

The moral of the story here , regardless of APN’s own problems (and I have my issues with them), Andre’s corruption is a problem and he cannot be a trusted source.

Anyone notice that as soon as the checks stopped coming from Vernon, he started posting more negative stories about him. Anyone notice that as soon as he started receiving checks from David Scott, the positive stories about James stopped and the positive stories about Scott started.

Yes, the moral of the story is that Andre can be bought for about $250-$500.

6. Romegaguy says:

So it only takes $150 to buy the endorsement of a fake paper but it takes a couple thousand to buy the support of a fake blogger. [YAWN]

7. RuralDem says:

griftdrift,

I’m not sure if that was a response to my post or not, but if it was, I agree with you.

I was simply pointing out that everyone who criticizes one should criticize the other. Even DG is admitting APN has problems, and we all know how DG has it out for Andre.

8. griftdrift says:

I also am no fan of APN and I’m pretty sure they know it. But if they are right (and I readily admit they probably have an agenda), then Andre crossed an ethical line. And a pretty serious one for someone who continually wants us to believe its the premier political blog in Georgia.

9. John Konop says:

This is a very interesting issue. The media weighs advertising dollars against news all the time.

In my case I do not need the money so it is easy for me to take the high road on not being paid for views. And one could call my views bias and as any human I do show favoritism toward candidates or issues. And in fairness I let all comments and posters flow on my blog like the PP within reason.

I do think Andre should have disclosed his relationship but everyone was free to comment and challenge his view point. And since no one was censored and nothing was a smear posting, I do not think it was a big deal. Yet Erick has a valid point about the disclosure issue.

At the end if your blog and or your political views are driven by income any source should come into question. And one should take this into consideration with any media source.

10. John Konop says:

One more thing, I think Andre is a fairly moderate voice on issues. I also think his moderate voice is more representative of the African American community than most people hear. I may not agree with Andre at times but I hope he keeps posting.

11. griftdrift says:

John, we all make editorial decisions. But if your editorial decisions are coming because you are receiving cold hard cash then you are in a whole different realm. If that’s the case (whether its Andre or APN) then you had better be able to explain it. Not explaining it and instead coming out with a not so contrite attack on the ones doing the alledging may not be the best idea.

12. griftdrift says:

By the way Andre. Nice how you didn’t mention the money APN received was for ads on their site instead of direct payments for services. APN not mentioning their full disclosure in their article certainly is ethically shady but I wonder why you left that detail out in your response. Perhaps because the comparison would have as much punch?

No matter. If you want to say your credibility at this point is the same as APN, which only in the kindest terms as ethically challenged, so be it.

13. doeboy says:

I am very interested in starting my own political Blog. For the past year, I have read religiously everything I could get my hands on about Blogs. But, these comments scare the hell out of me. These Blogs are not the Holy Grail. I have read the Peach Pundit for a number of months and what I enjoy most are the opinions. It is a place where you can go and read the comments of others and state your own. But I don’t understand this? Did Mr. Walker do something wrong? Mr. Walker has a Blog, right? He has a right to share his opinion like anyone else. If the Atlanta Progressive News has any evidence that Mr. Walker opinions were bought then they should have presented them. Personally, I thought the story was a waste of time. I don’t care if Andre Walker received monies for a website he designed. Good for him. He has a right to work and get paid for his work. I hope that my new adventure leads me into another direction. I think that we cheapen Mr. walker’s capabilities and talent to think that he would sell his credibility for money. I don’t think that Mr. Andre or any of you in fact want to start exposing to the public every source of your income. I do not want to be involve in having to tell my source of income to every Tom, Dick and Harry. And Decatur Guy you need to the lay off that word corruption it just don’t fit Andre’s situation.

14. griftdrift says:

“I think that we cheapen Mr. walker’s capabilities and talent to think that he would sell his credibility for money.”

Then he needs to effin say he didn’t.

15. John Konop says:

griftdrift

You made all valid points. I am just talking about the degree of the sin. And I may be bias, I met Andre a few times when I ran for office at events and thought he was thoughtful nice guy.

16. joe says:

I too am thinking of starting a political blog. $1,000 buys my opinion for a day. $250,000 and I will like you all year long.

Call BR-549 and ask for Junior.

17. SouthFultonGuy says:

Andre,

“He did it too” is a pretty lame defense.

Whatever happened to the class and character of addressing the accusations one by one and head on instead of misdirection?

I ask how many of you have actually gotten out of a speeding ticket by telling the officer everyone else was speeding too?