An Email From Nancy Schafer’s Campaign

Make of this what you will.

Senator Nancy Schaefer was in Augusta, Georgia last Tuesday, July 23rd until Saturday, July 27th with her husband, Bruce, who underwent abdominal surgery at the Medical College of Georgia Hospital.  In her absence her campaign opponent put out a press release saying that Senator Nancy Schaefer claimed in a flier that Governor Perdue had endorsed her.  That was NOT true.  She printed a statement made by Perdue as well as statements made by Casey Cagle, Eric Johnson, and John Oxendine. However, she did NOT claim endorsements by any of them.

The comment made by Peach Pundit needs to be corrected.

I do have to take issue with this. You can see the flyer for yourself. It does not use the word “endorse,” but at face value I think that was the message it is trying to convey.

I have a rule of thumb that I never, ever use a quote from someone on a political mail piece that even hints at being an endorsement unless I have that person’s permission. Races should be fought with the candidates’ words, not with a third party meant to convey the impression of support.

While I understand Nancy’s situation and will put her and her husband in my prayers, her campaign mishandled this. I hope she will hold the person who approved this mail piece responsible.

1. Jane says:

Do not kick a women when she is down. Bruce is very seriously ill. All our prayers are with them.

2. Truthteller says:

I have to disagree Erick. This looks like a fair piece to me. She didn’t say endorse.

I’ve never seen the mailing before it was posted here. But it looks in reasonable context to me, and the quote is apparently accurate.

What would she say? “This is not an endorsement, but this is what Sonny said?” No.

It’s fair to have mailed it. And it’s also fair to attack it. Neither side is misrepresenting the truth.

3. I don’t see anywhere it says Sonny endorsed her. It uses his quotes in the proper context.

If someone reads more to it than is there, that’s their problem….

4. 50thdistrict says:

I thought it was on a radio show that Sonny said it was not an endorsement when asked about it? She used his quote as well as many things on her websites to make people assume endorsements. I heard the NRA didn’t endorse her. As a member I am going to call them tommorow and ask them.

5. Rpolitic says:

If the quote is accurate and I have not heard that it is not then this is a good piece and if you chose not to use Erick then you would do your friends and/or clients a disservice.

The real question is if Sonny feels or felt this way why is he on the fence now? Why not pick a side and tell us whate he thinks of the choices. Simple he has no spine.

6. Bill Simon says:

Well, the “Nancy Shaefer and Sonny” statement at the top is pretty similar to the Vernon Jones/Barack Obama hoopla over Jones’ PhotoShopping Obama’s photo.

Whether it’s a photo or words, they both have the appearance of a suggestive endorsement.

7. Perhaps she should have dated the quotes. I would and have used the good quotes. Unless something has changed that warrants a retraction, run with it.

The Jones/Obama thing was completely different. Obama had never even met the man, let alone worked with him and given words of praise.

8. 50thdistrict says:

She used the quotes to symbolize an endorsement. I really want to know if the NRA sponsered her. I have heard they didn’t. She sent a robo call out a few days ago saying she wouldnt be able to campaign because bruce was ill. Then Sunday she was in Towns County at a fundraiser. Many people think she was sending a robocall for a pity vote. Jane, if he is that ill shouldn’t she not be at fundraisers at the least? Many people would drop out of the race if he was as ill as the campaign is making him seem. God bless him. He is in my prayers. Just don’t make his a assest for votes.

9. 50thdistrict says:

She used the quotes to symbolize an endorsement. I really want to know if the NRA sponsered her. I have heard they didn’t. She sent a robo call out a few days ago saying she wouldnt be able to campaign because bruce was ill. Then Sunday she was in Towns County at a fundraiser I heard. Many people think she was sending a robocall for a pity vote. Jane, if he is that ill shouldn’t she not be at fundraisers at the least? Many people would drop out of the race if he was as ill as the campaign is making him seem. God bless him. He is in my prayers. Just don’t make his a assest for votes.

10. I Am Jacks Post says:

The real question is, if a tree falls in a forest, and there’s no one around to hear it, is Nancy Schaefer still crazy?