I heart Obama

The media lovefest with Obama reached fever pitch this week with Obama’s trip to the Middle East. Thankfully some like Howard Kurtz are wondering aloud if journalism has lost it’s way. Kurtz was on Sean Hannity’s radio show yesterday marveling and the huge disparity in coverage between Obama and McCain.

The McCain camp put together this little video that takes a toungue-in-cheek look at some of the best/worst examples of the Obamamania that’s running wild throughout Big Media. Enjoy.

1. Goldwater Conservative says:

If Obama were not so interesting, there would be no “media frenzy” over his candidacy.

Fact is, in popular culture, Obama is comparable to the Beatles…where McCain is comparable to the old guy downstairs telling his neighbors to “keep it down.”

Whether you agree with Obama or not…he is interesting and exciting and good looking. Whether you agree with McCain or not…he is old and boring and old-looking.

The disparity has nothing to do with policy position or political ideology…it is about marketing. Manufacturing Consent is the name of the game. If Fox Noise weren’t so ideological and slanted…they would be covering Obama the same way.

2. griftdrift says:

Wait a minute! Doesn’t Kurtz work for the Communist News Network? I need an updated playbook on who’s a member of the liberal media and who isn’t.

3. Skeptical says:

I read this and all I could see in my mind was a giant pair of flip-flops (yet again) for Gramps.

At the same time McWhiny’s camp was crying boohoo, the man himself was telling Katie Couric that the news coverage of the presidential campaign has been fair and even “fun to watch.”

I guess he’s just a little jealous that less and less of the media is showing up at the barbeques he throws just for them.

4. griftdrift says:

“He then proceeded to get everything about the surge in Iraq wrong and CBS very nicely edited it out for him. ”

I must have a special radio feed too.

5. Skeptical says:

“I must have the special direct feed from CBS because I heard cute Katie grilling him on the surge and repeating the original question when he tried to evade. Then I heard it replayed on (gasp) NPR!

I must have a special radio feed too.”

I had no idea you were so priviledged:

On the July 22 edition of the CBS Evening News, while airing portions of an interview she conducted that day with Sen. John McCain, anchor Katie Couric removed a part of his response in which he falsely asserted that the 2007 U.S. troop surge “began the Anbar awakening.” In fact, the so-called Anbar awakening reportedly began in September 2006, months before the surge was even announced. Couric had asked McCain, “Senator [Barack] Obama says while the increased number of U.S. troops contributed to increased security in Iraq, he also credits the Sunni awakening and the Shia government going after militias, and says that there might have been improved security even without the surge. What’s your response to that?” But rather than airing McCain’s direct reply, including the false claim that the surge “began the Anbar awakening” — an agreement by some tribal leaders in western Iraq to accept U.S. aid and cooperate with anti-Al Qaeda operations — Couric aired comments by McCain spliced together from three separate statements he gave during the interview, one of which responded to a different question. Couric gave no indication that these comments had been edited in any manner, nor did she otherwise note McCain’s falsehood.

6. Rusty says:

This has to be the most brilliant usage of campaign funds ever: buy an ad where people spend the entire time talking about how great your opponent is.

7. griftdrift says:

Oh crap. I thought you were talking about her interview with Obama just the other day. Missed where you were talking about McCain. My bad.

8. Skeptical says:

No problemo. I was hoping that I wasn’t getting my wires crossed. Sometimes I know exactly what I’m trying to say in my mind and I totally expect everyone else to know it too. Polish up your crystal ball!

9. Goldwater Conservative says:

Landman,

How? One of the nation’s top law students who bypassed corporate America’s multi-million dollar/year career to be a community organizer. Then went on the teach constitutional law at one of the nation’s leading law schools and became a state legislator, Senator and will probably be the next president.

You say an inch deep. What is McCain?

10. Doug Deal says:

Goldy,

Just look at Obama when he stares like a deer caught in headlights when somebody goes off the script with a tough question. He is the Goodyear blimp of substance, with a pleasant speaking voice (which is about all that qualifies him as President).

11. Doug Deal says:

grift,

You do not have to tell me about the current buffoon in chief. I doubt Democrats hate Bush more than I do, I just seem to hate him for incompatible reasons.

12. rugby fan says:

“the huge disparity in coverage between Obama and McCain.”

One candidate has no shot of getting elected, one candidate will defeat the other in a landslide. I wonder why the MSM isn’t covering McCain?

This is also the same media who refuses to criticize McCain for anyone of of his many gaffes, most glaringly not knowing the difference between a Shia and Sunni Muslim.

13. Game Fan says:

It’s bad enough when the media becomes the news. It’s even worse when the media coverage of a candidate becomes the news in the same media. These fools in the MSM are so pathetic. This isn’t objectivity, it’s more like corporate shills trying to get on the good side of the “winner”. It’s narcissism on a national scale.

14. landman says:

Gold,
    I challenge you or anyone else on here for that matter to tell me one single piece of significant legislation Senator Obama has authored.
    Rugby,you couldnt be more wrong,there will be no landslide for anyone.This race will be tight.

15. rugby fan says:

Landman:

What makes you think that?

McCain has no enthusiasm, little support from anyone within the GOP, hardly any money to compete with Obama, nothing in world events going in his favor, gaffe after gaffe, little media coverage, no field operation when compared to Obama’s, holding slim leads over Obama in states like Mississippi, and North Carolina, &c., &c., &c..

16. Doug Deal says:

Rug,

Dukakis had a huge lead over Bush at this stage because of the infamous “wimp factor”. How did that work out for him?

I heard about counting chickens before they hatched, but as of right now they aren’t even laid yet.

17. rugby fan says:

True, however, you can objectively see that nothing is going the way for Republicans and doesn’t seem to be changing anytime soon.

This election is nothing like 88, especially considering we have one party nominating the most charismatic and energizing candidate in decades, while the other party nominates, in the most charitable of descriptions, a dud.

18. Harry says:

Rug,

You must be kidding yourself…..I’ve been reading nothing but good news for McCain during the last few days.

19. rugby fan says:

Nothing but good news?

Such as not knowing the time line of events in Iraq? Such as continuing to lag in polls and fund raising?

What is this good news in the last few days?

More importantly, is this the type of good news that would change the current state of the election (all signs bad for Republicans)?