Congressman Teaches Fox News Journalist How To Use The Internets!

I honestly don’t know whether to laugh or cry. Video here.

And as for the legislation that prompted the quickie techno lesson/interview above, just let the Repugs Twitter, for chrissake. If Dems could stop acting like Dems, we might all actually get somewhere. Jeez.

If you care to, you can follow me on Twitter here. I don’t have a video-enabled cell so I’m not on, but you can view my channel here. Expect something new there later in the day.

1. boyreporter says:

Cry. Definitely, cry. Big old South Carolina sobbing-slobbing, whooping and screeching, clawing the air hysteria. I spent a week viewing a few minutes of that black hole of time-wasting “innovation.” But thanks for the diversion. Now, back to Earth.

2. Tony says:

These congressmen want to deliver vast amounts of information over the Internet. And, again, the Internet is not something that you just dump something on. It is not a big truck. Its a series of tubes. And if you don’t understand those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and its going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.

3. SpaceyG says:

Believe you me, that Congressman could fill up ALL the tubes on the Interwebs the way he blabbers on and on and on about all those cool new tech-y tools he’s just discovered. Heck, he’s like some twentysomething little boy who’s just figured out how to hack his iPhone. He will not shut-up about it. Poor Fox guy. He looks utterly flummoxed. Or just bored to tears.

4. Doug Deal says:

Tony and Game,

I know it is popular for internet hipsters to dump on Ted Stevens, but is what he said really any different than Al Gore calling it a “super highway”? No one criticized that and no one seriously suggested that he thought the internet was actually a paved highway system.

As a metaphor, it is not too far off the mark. I actually work with computers, and we sometimes call the connections between them pipes. Does this mean that we do not understand that they are bits of electrons streaming through wires?

There are plenty of reasons to not like Mr. Stevens, but this is a ridiculous one.

5. Tony says:

There are plenty of reasons to not like Mr. Stevens
    I agree with you on that.

As a metaphor, it is not too far off the mark
    The metaphor has potential if you stop there. But, but the way he used it was awful. In part:

“Ten movies streaming across that, that Internet, and what happens to your own personal Internet? I just the other day got… an Internet was sent by my staff at 10 o’clock in the morning on Friday, I got it yesterday [Tuesday]. Why? Because it got tangled up with all these things going on the Internet commercially.”

Doug, you work with computers. Would you agree with Sen. Stevens’ assessment?

He was also using the analogy that I included above to explain why he was voting against net neutrality amendments in a telecommunications bill. Regardless of your personal stance on net neutrality, are you satisfied with his justification of his vote?

If I recall, he was the chair of the commerce committee at the time. We should expect more.

6. Game Fan says:

The point about Ted Stephens (and why bloggers generally don’t like him) is he’s old guard and he’s with the telecoms and against free expression. And as a market purist I’m not sure the “internets” are a good proving ground with “Laissez fair” right now. Just follow the money. Who designed the regs. that have eliminated the small ISPs and reduced competition? It ain’t Ted Stephens.

7. Doug Deal says:

I will not stand behind any policy decision that Ted Stevens supports, I was just defending the tubes metaphor. Beyond that, I am one of his biggest critics. Your other example sure shows that he is no network engineer, and he should probably have more understanding about how the stuff works if he intends to regulate it. But, I bet he understands it much better (sadly) than most of those dinosaurs in Washington.

As for Net neutrality, it’s not really my issue, so I will defer to the judgment of others on that. I do not think either side has the optimal viewpoint, but I can’t say I have anything better.

One thing is for certain, though. Ted Stevens is a cancer in our Government, and I would rather give the Democrats a filibuster-proof Senate than see him re-elected.

8. Tony says:

Well put, Doug. I don’t disagree with the metaphor (in someone else’s hands) or with anything else you have said.

There are representatives on both sides of the aisle that are poster children for term limits, and for much greater reasons than not being up to speed on technology.