It is evidently, in the minds of many running for office in DeKalb County, necessary to have nicknames. Perhaps they think the electorate is too stupid to remember them but for some trite phrase next to their name or maybe they think it actually helps their cause. Regardless, here’s just a partial sampling of names on the ballot today in DeKalb County with their campaign nicknames to illustrate a phenomenon which doesn’t seem as popular in other corners of the state (as far as I know).
– “Positively” Pam Stephenson (HD 92)
– Steen “Newslady” Miles (CEO)
– Viola “Unhappy Taxpayer” Davis (District 4)
– Don “the Ragin’ Cajun” Broussard (District 6)
– Earnest “Coach” Williams (HD 89)
There is also Rita! Robinzine for HD91. Yes, her name in her literature features an explanation point after her first name. DeKalb gets what they vote for.