1. drjay says:

the gross and underwood dq’s i get–but if homestead is the only reason for the dq of powell i would actually agree that he might stil be qualified -in augusta a couple of years ago a mayoral candidate was challenged over a homestead in columbia county–but he was able to convince the elections board that his primary domicile was a condo in augusta proper and that he only applied for the homestead in columbia county b/c a clerk told him told him he could if he did not have one filed anywhere else so he did…i’m not sure i agree but if the guy has more than one residence i would think voting record, address on license and other such info would become pertinent???

2. griftdrift says:

The law gets a little weird. It states pretty strongly that homestead establishes residency but then says the ALJ and SOS can consider other evidence. The ALJ considered the other evidence enough. Handel didn’t. Which is why I have a hard time believing her decision will be overturned. But who knows? Everyone is filled with primary madness!

3. drjay says:

yes–it is from what i understand–i’m just mentioning that it may be one of those not as cut and dry as you’d think sort of things…

4. griftdrift says:

Agreed drjay. Powell has lots of evidence in Towns. But unfortunately based on the statute I think the SOS has the power to say “doesn’t matter”.

5. SpaceyG says:

For a second there, I thought you meant Colin Powell. Is he back from anywhere yet?

Come to think about it, I think he got killed-off (by terrorists of course) in Ralph Reed’s political novella, Dark Horse. Least some character did. They’re all stand-ins for the current slate of national candidates. Say what you like about the dude, Reed, but he’s got a bit of the prophetic about him… in that book at least.

One thing about the book that keeps nagging at me though… the parts about the terrorists’ planning and action are written in a totally different writing style, leading me to suspect that there could have been some ghost writing going on in there.

Regardless, Dark Horse was my best summer read, so far.

And that’s your Instant Comment On Post About Obscure Georgia Politicians No One Gives A Rip About Book Review.

6. Taft Republican says:

I thought you mean Colin Powell too.

But that’s because I thought the headline read, “Powell is black”.

7. griftdrift says:

I spent some time digging through the code and found some interesting things.

An appeal of the SOS finding has to be in Fulton Superior Court.

The Judge can only affirm or remand the case for further review unless one of the following occurs:

1) In violation of the Constitution or laws of this state;

(2) In excess of the statutory authority of the Secretary of State;

(3) Made upon unlawful procedures;

(4) Affected by other error of law;

(5) Clearly erroneous in view of the reliable, probative, and substantial evidence on the whole record; or

(6) Arbitrary or capricious or characterized by an abuse of discretion or a clearly unwarranted exercise of discretion

I think Powell’s folks are going for number 5 and I don’t like their chances.

8. Erick says:

You know, I just logged back on after a while and saw this post. My first reaction is “why the hell did I write about Colin Powell at Peach Pundit.”