The Most Critical Issue Of Our Time Has Been Fixed

Stupid is as stupid does.

In the battle of the sexes, women’s magazine editor Cynthia Good said this was a skirmish she had to fight. Across Atlanta they stood, orange signs with black letters that read “Men At Work” or “Men Working Ahead.” Sometimes, the signs stood next to women working alongside the men. Good demanded Atlanta officials remove the signs and last week, Atlanta Public Works Commissioner Joe Basista agreed. Score one for gender equality, Good said Wednesday. “They get it,” Good said about the city in a telephone interview. Public Works officials are replacing 50 “Men Working” with signs that say “Workers Ahead.” It will cost $22 to cover over some of the old signs and $144 to buy new signs, said Public Works spokeswoman Valerie Bell-Smith said. “We’re calling on the rest of the nation to follow suit and make a statement that we will not accept these subtle forms of discrimination,” said Good, 48.

Ms. Good is a moron. And I’m glad with a $140 million deficit, we can spend a few more dollars to fix this.

Atlanta: the city too busy getting offended over stupid stuff.

1. Obis_Sister says:

What a hoot! I just posted on this myself.

Cynthia Good is a former news”person” at WAGA for over 20 years. Now she is a magazine editor. Maybe she hopes to bump her subscription rates a bit by this stunt.

2. Grrr says:

Rogue …. you’re an idiot. Plain and simple. You are missing the point. Ms. Good is not pulling a publicity stump, just pointing out years of automatic, and probably incidental and unintentional, oppression and discrimination.

3. midtown_maven says:

A phase out of the old signs just isn’t good enough. I’m sure they would all get replaced in a couple years anyway.

4. Tea Party says:

I wonder about the Highway sign lobby. Ever count how many signs are on a mile of highway?

Not hazard or road condition, ‘lie-safety’ signs, but little info-signs….

@rome You are onto something here…

People Standing Around signs should be the norm…

@Grrrr The yoke of oppression, firmly fastened upon the working class, shall be broken…yawn….

5. AtlConservative says:

Thank you Rogue for pointing this out! Discrimination and oppression? Seriously, Grrr? That’s absurd! Finally, Rome – amen! No one works in ATL… actually, I take that back out of 20+ workers 1 or 2 work and the rest stand there. Wonder why we are $140m in debt! And now? we have to fix our sexist signs – so important!

6. Demonbeck says:

For years this dumb kid I knew in my neighborhood was chided by a “Slow Children at Play” sign. What does GDOT have to do with children with learning disabilities anyway (other than hiring them)?

My guess is that Grrr grew up with a “Dip” sign in the front yard.

7. Tekneek says:

Not sure why this is labeled as “most critical issue of our time” since rarely anything that is done by the government OR private industry could be labeled as such.

8. gatormathis says:

The signs simply refrence “men” at work.

It doesn’t go so far to say if they are “men” mens, or “wo men” mens , just men.

Wow, how more generic could they be?

mmmmmm…………”watch for workers working ahead”

that would make a great sign

9. Jewel says:

Ms. Good’s shameless promotion efforts were transparent today on the national morning programs. Her attempt to draw attention to her magazine at tax-payer expense is sad.

10. Grrr says:

Demonbeck: My guess is that Grrr grew up with a “Dip” sign in the front yard.

Actually, it was a “Congestion Ahead” sign … I tended to colds as a youngster.

Ms. Good certainly got the national press coverage, but as the saying goes, “Any media attention is good attention.” I’d rather have Meredith Viera introducing a story on Atlanta doing something “innovative” rather than on our traffic woes and smog.

I’m just waiting for a band under a local record label to adopt the name “Workers Ahead.” It could happen.

11. Icarus says:

Now that this has been settled, the most critical issue of our time is knowing if anyone has endorsed Paul Broun. Anyone have any updates on that?