AJC: Georgia GOP in attack mode for Obama visit

From today’s AJC:

Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama’s plane has not even entered Georgia airspace, but Republican[s] on Monday went on the attack anyway.

My God. How dare Republicans criticize His Holiness? I can see why the AJC is so outraged.

1. Rogue109 says:

You mean, “how dare they report the news with a bias and innuendo that will never be present when a Republican visits the state!”

2. joe says:

The AJC also said: “The Democratic hopeful’s plane was forced to make an unscheduled landing this morning in St. Louis because of maintenance issue, which will delay his arrival.”

I bet George Bush had something to do with that.

3. SpaceyG says:

Erick, let me take a moment to ask you why you allow front page posters on PP who do little more here but regurgitate what they’ve heard yesterday on Rush Limbaugh? I mean, Rogue is so icky and predictable he even spouts the exact, processed verbiage (“His Holiness”) he hears on his guru’s show.

Since I’m supposed to be on vacation, I’ll spare you my ethics-handwringing over allowing totally anonymous posters too, for the time being.

Lord knows this IS Georgia, hon, but don’t you think you could find one might-y right-y original thinker in the whole darn state? Just curious.

TTFN. I must resume tanning by the pool for now.

4. griftdrift says:

Rogue, you mean the same article that spewed the following hateful attack on a Republican Senator?

“Chambliss complimented Obama on running a solid primary campaign and “

5. Rogue109 says:

Griftdrift:

Oh, so we should ignore the headline, ignore the lead, and pay attention to the quote buried in the rather small story?

I DO get your point, though. If I could “refine” my position, I’d probably say that the headline and lead was a bit much for me. Better?

6. griftdrift says:

Fine.

But since we are going to continue our biological dissection of journalism here, you will at least admit that headlines are not written by the reporter?

As far as leads I thought it was a pretty good one. Clever. Sums up the point of the entire piece. Pretty much journalism 101.

As usual, these type of attacks are more about form instead of the content. You don’t contest the facts but because they are not written the way YOU want them to be they must be biased.

7. J Konop says:

Rogue109 and I have not always agreed on issues, but unlike Spacey he will always thoughtfully debate his point. If you disagree (Spacey) with Rogue 109 why not engage him intellectually?

8. Rogue109 says:

Absolutely! I’ve worked in three newsrooms in my time and totally understand the system. That doesn’t detract from the combined theme of the headline AND the lead!

What I contest is that if the roles were reversed, that you would NEVER see in the AJC a headline and lead talking about Obama’s camp launching “attacks” before he even arrived. Instead, you’d read about Obama’s staffers launching a brave preemptive strike against a sophisticated and maniacal right-wing apparatus hell bent on deception, a ruined environment and dead people everywhere (just in different words – HA!).

Why even mention the bit about ‘before he even arrived.’ Are the mean old Republicans just that cruel and vicious? Well, of course they are! It’s the AJC on the story!

Again, though, I do get your point.

Do you believe there is any bias in AJC reporting of political events, BTW?

9. griftdrift says:

I pretty sure the lead contains before he arrives because of the hullaballo over his big visit in Powder Springs.

And I bet you a shiney nickel I could find a similar nasty headline about Democrats in the stacks but I ain’t giving the AJC any more money.

10. Rogue109 says:

HA! Okay, fair enough. No worries.

11. GOPeach says:

You’d think the Cobb County Republicans would get a clue that the Obama Nation is headed to their back yard because they have sniffed out some swing votes that could go either way…

Maybe they know of some low-hanging fruit….
    Maybe the McCain gang should get their cracks to South Cobb PDQ.

12. J Konop says:

This is a very interesting article that may show why Obama could win Georgia.

Townhall-A number of friends of mine have commented on an odd phenomenon that they have observed– conservative Republicans they know who are saying that they are going to vote for Barack Obama. It seemed at first to be an isolated fluke, perhaps signifying only that my friends know some strange conservatives. But apparently columnist Robert Novak has encountered the same phenomenon and has coined the term “Obamacons” to describe the conservatives for Senator Obama.

Now the San Francisco Chronicle has run a feature article, titled “Some Influential Conservatives Spurn GOP and Endorse Obama.” In it they quote various conservatives on why they are ready to take a chance on Barack Obama, rather than on John McCain.

What is going on?