10th District Debate

Here is the video of the debate between Paul Broun and Barry Fleming:

Someone tell Barry Fleming, the man that represents everything that is wrong with the Georgia General Assembly, that it doesn’t hurt to smile every now and then.

Fleming made some statements that were factually inaccurate. Using this as an example of working across the aisle, Fleming said he worked with the Democratic sponsor of Georgia’s gay marriage amendment. Now I realize these two candidates are trying to out do each other on the gay bashing, but Fleming was wrong. The sponsor of that bill was ex-State Sen. Mike Crotts, a Republican.

Secondly, he claimed that doctors tell him that medicinal marijuana is not needed when treating cancer. I’d like to introduce Barry Fleming to Owen Beck, a teenager who was given medicinal marijuana while undergoing chemotherapy.

1. Groseclose says:

While I could live without all the direct mail pieces I have received from Fleming, it is quite clear that he took Dr. Broun to the woodshed in this debate.

2. waterboy says:

Any impartial republican viewer could watch that debate and would hands down pick Fleming as the best candidate from the exchanges and responses in this debate. It ain’t up to me though – I don’t get to vote in this race. Groseclose got it right.

3. Howard Roark says:

Be careful Bill, or Harris Little will be forced to come here to remind you that we are careful to blow out our candles before we leave home in our part of the district.

Based on the latest polling data, which shows Fleming with a rising negative rating and Congressman Broun remaining at stable levels over the last 6 weeks, Congressman Broun will be elected in a land slide in both the primary and general election.

4. Howard Roark says:

“Fleming also mocked Broun’s belief in federalism, ostensibly mocking the Constitution and the Tenth Amendment in the process. Broun did not do much to impress me, but Fleming insistence that he is a conservative is a joke, much like his candidacy.”

Another reason why grass roots workers in the 10th district have no respect for the campaign Fleming is running.

5. GOPeach says:

Okay for THE RECORD –

Give honor to whom honor is due!

6. GOPeach says:

A letter that was sent to me today –

Barry, Brian and Campaign Staff,

I told you when we first met that I would be happy to work for the Fleming campaign in Franklin County, GA as the individual assigned to do so by the leadership of the Franklin County Republicans. I also told you that you would have all my support and efforts provided that you did not go negative by bringing up the past against Paul Broun. It appears now that you have done so. Therefore I resign as the Franklin County Chairman for the Fleming for Congress campaign.

When the Pharisees brought the woman found in adultery before Jesus into the public forum Jesus began writing words in the sand for all to see and one by one her accusers found their own sins written there on the ground, the ones that they were afraid might be made public by Jesus. Have you ever taught this story while teaching your Sunday school class . . . Barry? What sins could another man reveal about you if he wrote in the sand.

Is there any line that you are not willing to cross to get power?
    You sat in my office in Franklin Springs and promised me that you would not go negative, but you have gone back on your word.

Going negative is the last desperate bastian of a man who sees himself as defeated, inadequate and unequal to the task of leadership.

The material your campaign is quoted as providing to the Athen’s Banner Herald takes Congressman Broun to task over past problems in his life including divorce, back taxes and bankruptcy, but what a rich, powerful man like you fails to realize is that the common hard working people of the State of Georgia sometimes go through messy divorces, others have problems paying their taxes and many, through circumstance beyond their control, are forced to file for bankruptcy, but you wouldn’t understand the problems of common people. Your friends get special privileges from crooked judges when they get divorced (Glenn Richardson) allowing them to seal their human failings from the public, a luxury common people without power cannot afford. No sir . . . I don’t think you have an understanding of the real lives of real voters in Georgia enough to lead them as their congressman and when you lied to me about not going negative you proved you do not have the moral center of a person that I could lend any support. I do not claim to be perfect, but then again I am not running for congress by negatively portraying my opponent’s past life issues.

I know that losing one county chairman will not hurt the campaign in any way and I do not seek to hurt it, but I do now separate myself from it.

Charles J. Powell

7. In the loop says:

GOPeach: Broun’s staff refers to him as Dr. Broun, and he introduces himself as Dr. Broun.

You’re too late with that letter. It’s been up on my blog since yesterday. Scooped!

8. ACConservative says:

I find it interesting that Paul’s staffers call him Dr. Broun.

Most other Congressional staffers call him “that crazy guy from Georgia”

9. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Wow, Fleming looks like as if that’s the last place on Earth he wants to be in.

10. Taft Republican says:

Did anyone watch that reason.tv video that Jason posted?

How can we continue to elect the morons responsible for this kind of thing?

I wish someone would actually read that Constitution thingie.

11. JBC says:

Any person that considers themselves a Republican should be embarrassed by the second video. What a disgrace.

12. Groseclose says:

I thought my opinion was pretty impartial, an unlike the editor/writer at Creative Loafing–I intend to vote in this district.

13. midtown_maven says:

If I was a Republican, I would be thankful such a vapid Majority Whip is no longer in the House.

Poor leadership did in the Republican majority in Washington, don’t miss the opportunity to repeat history.

14. Jane says:

Fleming is too much of the establishment candidate and the establishment will take a hit this year. Dr. Bruon is certainly not the usual Republican, but that is a good thing.

15. GOPeach says:

Yep! The establishment is not the majority any longer. The “Country -Club” types better get on a BLUE collar fast and act like you work for a living.