Uga VI dies of heart failure

Sad news.

The University of Georgia’s beloved and Churchillian English bulldog mascot Uga VI died peacefully Friday night in Savannah of congestive heart failure after serving nine years on the Bulldog sidelines as the school’s winningest mascot.

Uga VI, owned by Savannah attorney Frank W. “Sonny” Seiler, was the biggest in the line of six solid white English bulldogs to serve as UGA’s mascot since Uga I became a Georgia football game fixture in 1956.

1. Icarus says:

Rick,

I’m now beginning to fully understand the root of your anger and bitterness.

A great afternoon in Athens in the fall could change your whole outlook on life, son.

2. yellowb says:

Funny how this dog will get a better funeral then most humans. Am I the only one who finds it disturbing that there is a worship area of dead dog remains in the stadium? I love dogs, but not this one.

3. IndyInjun says:

Rick Day –

Middle aged white men wearing red and black are angry from being cheated out of a shot at another national championship.

Add ‘depressed’ to that now……sob……

4. Rogue109 says:

Pretty much, yeah.

5. David says:

Yeah, Yellow, your pretty much are the only one with the cold attitude. People love their pets and their mascots almost as much as they do their own kids. Not a damn thing wrong with it, either. Do you also have a problem when they bury race horses like Secretariat?

6. drjay says:

“didn’t use him for the things they tend to use horse remains for?”

am i the only one that finds that line utterly perverse as i read it…

7. Chris says:

“didn’t use him for the things they tend to use horse remains for?”

Beatings?

Just remember all, no matter what any of us do in our lives, none of us will be as famous as that there dawg…….

8. shep1975 says:

I thought our horses were sent to Europe where they eat things like horse meat.

UGA VI was a damn good dawg, but I never had the affection for him as I did for his father, UGA V, who was on the sidelines during my undergrad days in Athens.

I look now to UGA VII to bring home the National Championship.

9. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

I can’t believe this stuff makes national news…

I hadn’t lived here long when Willie B died and was amazed at the amount of news coverage over the death of a gorilla.

I didn’t go to UGA…my alma mater sported a big overstuffed bird as the mascot. I do think it is neat that they can use a real animal, but come on. Enough with the news coverage. Of course, they did the same thing when the Ramblin’ Wreck broke down:)

Does anyone know who UGA VII is yet? And who gets to decide? I suppose there are many UGA grads who breed bulldogs in hopes of owning UGA in the future:)

10. Icarus says:

Oh, NGG, there is so much for you to learn, and so little time.

Reader’s digest version: Sonny Seiler, a Savannah attorney (the same one who was the defense attorney in Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil) has owned all the UGA’s, and will be announcing/introducing UGA VII after a proper time of remembrance and reflection on UGA VI’s accomplishments.

11. NorthGeorgiaGirl says:

I know, I know. Lots to learn all the time. I am trying to get attached to college football over professional, but it is hard because my college team was AWFUL (and games were so poorly attended we almost lost division 1 status!!) I don’t even have a favorite college team yet, even after all of these years, although I lean towards UGA because my college has the same colors. I certainly don’t like orange, though. A rival college was black and gold, so leaning agains GATech too (sorry to any tech fans).

How did the attorney get so lucky? I am assuming UGA VII is offspring of UGA VI?

12. jsm says:

I feel sorry for uga VII. He has to face the era of Paul Johnson.

NGG, another lesson: Black is not one of Tech’s colors.

13. Icarus says:

NGG, the ajc has a bit more of the history here:

Also in attendance was UGA resident historian Dan Magill. It was Magill, 88, who first designated the Seiler’s dog as the new mascot.

“We had an old brindle bulldog before that and he died,” Magill, clad in a Georgia red sport coat, said. “Coach [Wally] Butts told me to find another one. Sonny was working in the ticket office at the time and his wife happened to have a bulldog puppy, the grandson of our Rose Bowl dog [in 1942]. I went and saw it and thought it looked like a fine dog. I called Coach Butts and told him to come see. He said he didn’t have time but the grandson of the Rose Bowl mascot should do just fine. And that’s how it started.”

14. jsm says:

I thought it was funny how Paul Harvey pronounced his name–he tried twice, “Ooga or Yooga.”