1. Rogue109 says:

Spot on regarding Deen’s overexposure. Now she even has special “Paula Deen Tours” around Savannah to showcase important places (to her) of town.

She’s the Oprah of food and it amazes me that people stand around the block at her place off of Market Square to sample her slop. It’s their money, though, so who am I to complain…but there are just SO many better places for cuisine within walking distance than her three story place. Oh, well. If the customers want it, so be it.

2. Doug Deal says:

Rogue,

It’s about celecrity worship, not the food. These are the same people that read People and US and keep the E! network solvent.

3. Icarus says:

Never been to Paula Deen’s place. I’m a big fan of Mrs Wilkes Boarding House. Haven’t been in a while. Is it still there? still roughly the same?

4. drjay says:

mrs wilkes is still there- i have not been in several years–but from what i am led to believe–it is still quite tasty–paula deen’s is a little hit and miss–but the food is generally good –her seafood place heading out to the islands i find overated and dissapointing–but if you are a tourist or have friends visiting, they like to be able to say they went to her place and get the souvenirs to take back to ohio…

5. Demonbeck says:

Buzz,

If her fried chicken is the best you ever had, you clearly don’t get out of Atlanta much.

I can name five restaurants in Savannah alone with better without trying too hard

6. drjay says:

now i’m jonesing for fried chicken for lunch…the previously mentioned mrs. wilkes had good fried chicken, also there is a church on bay heading toward the ports and union camp and stuff that has a “cafe” in the back w/ down home food w/ great fried chicken–but the menu varies from day to day –i don’t remember the name–the church is called somthing like “the united house of prayer for all people” don’t remember if the estaurant has a seperate name or not…but i’m not one of those savannahian’s that hates on all of our hometown attractions and i will say i have found deen’s chicken to be pretty good and her banana pudding to be incredible…

7. Demonbeck says:

1. Johnny Harris – Victory Dr.
    2. Mrs. Wilkes – Jones Ave.
    3. Savannah Yacht Club – Bradley Point Drive (but you need to be with a member)
    4. Spanky’s (yes they’re chicken fingers, but they are fried and they invented the damn things) – various locations, but I suggest River Street
    5. Lil Chick – West Bay Street

Drjay is thinking of Masada Cafe at the United House of Prayer for All People.

8. Icarus says:

When in Atlanta, try Carver’s Store. It’s in the Howell Station neighborhood, NW of GA Tech on West Marietta.

If near the airport, the Barbeque Kitchen on Virginia Ave has good fried chicken, and unlimited refills on veggies.

9. drjay says:

i’ve never had the fried chicken at johnny harris–but i’ve never had a bad meal there–and my dad always bought there bbq sauce for our home use…

btw–the updated news on the fire sounds as though it was pretty benign and the restaurant is open for business as usual today

10. Holly says:

Best in Augusta = Wife Saver. There are several throughout the city, but the closest to me is at the intersection of North Belair and Fury’s Ferry in Evans.

11. drjay says:

wifesaver is great holly–but where is the love for fat man’s–which was responsible for most of my weight gain while in school there…

12. gawatch says:

Paula Deen’s brother Bubba opened a restaurant just off Tybee Island called Uncle Bubba’s. The crab stew is the best I’ve ever had, and I can say the same about the key lime pie. The fried shrimp and oysters are delicious too.

13. Romegaguy says:

Is Paula for the children or is she like her comrade Rachel Ray?

Thoughts?Icarus? Rugby?

14. Icarus says:

I’m still scarred by the thought of Paula being “overexposed”.

I think we need to get Paul Broun to put a stop to it, if he ever gets sworn in.

15. Demonbeck says:

gawatch,

Saying Uncle Bubba’s Restaurant is just off Tybee is like saying Hartsfield-Jackson is a brief walk from the Capitol.

16. gawatch says:

Uncle Bubba’s is a 15-minute car ride from the Sugar Shack, give or take, and it is deeeeelicious. Did I mention the corn muffins?

17. Demonbeck says:

and the airport is a ten minute ride from the Capitol.

Next time you are in the area, drive closer to Tybee (on Wilmington Island – off Johnny Mercer) and give Barbara Jean’s a shot. It puts UB’s to shame.

18. juliobarrios says:

The last time I was in Savannah I picked up one of the tourist maps, it was almost exclusively Paula Deen, her brother, her sons, and the Paula Deen bus tour. I thought it was hilarious that her brother was listed as “Bubba Dean Paula’s brother”.

19. A Typical White Person says:

So, Spanky’s “invented” chicken fingers?

Then they oughtta sue Friday’s, Bennigan’s, Chili’s and every other fern bar on the planet for giving us poor substitutes for the REAL thing.

20. Game Fan says:

re: “I never noticed that Paula was overexposed until I saw the Paula Deen tree stand and bow hunting set.”

Were they selling it a Chu’s? Was it right next to the hang gliding shark troll rig?