Losing Their Religion

ralphreed-004.JPG

Boy, if anything is more in need of some good old-fashioned inspiration these days, it would be Republicans. As I was trained-up long ago in the ways of impartiality and journalistic neutrality, I went to hear Ralph Reed talk at the Atlanta Press Club about his new novel, Dark Horse, and all the “new politics” going on around us since Reed last held political court.

I thought it would be a hoot to have him sign my copy of the book. Which he did, although he wasn’t terribly engaging, no breezy banter with the ladies that most socially-inclined men would engage in at such a function, obviously looking beyond me for someone he recognized.

Seems Reed doesn’t read Peach Pundit; the nom de plume “SpaceyG” rang zero bells of recognition for him, although it set-off some odd, squirrelly behavior in the person behind me in line, who claimed to have once been a Peach Pundit front pager, but then refused to tell me the name under which he had once so boldly opined. What a bunch of social weirdos Republicans are, but I digress…

Reed is slight, small, well-tailored and smart looking. Attractive and telegenic. As someone once said, he looks doll-ish. Not a terribly big crowd came out to the Press Club for Reed. The ones who did were mostly, ummm, long in the tooth as they say. A handful of blacks and Repug political hopefuls with obnoxiously loud mouths. A couple of photogs from some media outlet, and one AJC political reporter, the one with the blog that gets 5K views a day, or so I hear.

The APC couldn’t get a sponsor for Reed’s book signing event. No one would touch him. No Atlanta media or business, which I thought was rather sad given that he is a prominent Georgia boy. A sign of the times I suppose. As one person said, “He’s toxic. And so is his party.” In Georgia? Yes, even in Georgia.

The saddest part was watching Reed trying to be a good party cheerleader while still maintaining his religion. At one point he talked about how McCain was going to need every bit of the religious-conservative (evangelical and pro-life Catholic I assume) base of the party he could get to ever get elected, especially if Dems were going to register and turn out the anticipated large numbers of young, inspired, new voters.

At that point, I had to ask the question, “How can McCain, who’s notoriously allergic to religion, possibly inspire and motivate religious conservatives then?” To which Reed answered by saying that McCain was really a religious person (oh sure), and that someone he knew, a name I didn’t recognize so it was probably an evangelical preacher-type, had once “talked to McCain about his religion.” Reed thought that McCain worshiped at some church in Arizona, but he didn’t seem to know exactly what the denomination was.

When pressed for examples of how McCain has ever inspired the religious-conservative masses, Reed just said, “He’s just going to have to be himself.” Well ok then. Fine by the secular humanist in me, but if that’s supposed to satisfy, let alone “inspire and motivate” the evangelical masses to the polls, then I might as well be Pastor Rick Warren’s next prom date.

Think I’ll just go read the book now.

1. boyreporter says:

Spacey, that was one cogent, coherent, insightful piece of writing. Don’t be surprised if the Repugnants don’t get it. You need to quit slumming on this site. Pearls before swine and all that. Ralph Reed is a sack sack of merde, as are all the other hypocritical Bible thumpers who preach one thing and live another. And the proud Republicans hereabouts? Still no apology from any of them for being heirs to the hateful Southern Strategy. But why apologize for what comes natural, huh?

Romegaguy: Poor thing. You weren’t born smart.

2. SpaceyG says:

Erick, do what Icarus says, ‘k? His political thought pattern won’t break any new ground on this blog of course, but the dude IS funny.

3. shep1975 says:

Spacey,

As the other APC member on here, I thought about going, even checked to see if the YRs wanted to sponsor a table. The problem was so many of us see RR so often for free that there was no interest. I’ve been slacking off attending in general. I need to do better with my attendance at events.

4. Game Fan says:

Spacey
    I think he spelled your name wrong. What do you think the results will be? Example:

“I like to use sharpies.”
    “Make it look like Arabic.”
    “Stop sending me politicians’ handwriting.”

5. Game Fan says:

Just taking precautions since you were already doing the “fan” thing. And besides, there’s other names out there. I’m considering anything except “Jar Jar Binks”.

6. debbie0040 says:

Reed’s book was really good. I read it in one day.

I had him autograph it at the state convention in Columbus. Many saw Reed there and had him autograph his book then.

My hubby is recovering from open heart surgery, so I was unable to go to the event.

I sense envy among you Reed haters. By the way, when are the indictments coming down? 🙂

Some of you just hate it that he has bounced back from his loss in the Lt. Governor’s race. Some of you expected Reed to just go away and not been seen again. It shows character that Reed jumped back in the game … Reed will be around for some time to come…Get used to it!

7. GOPeach says:

Amen Debbie! Preach it!

The “Reed- haters” are exasperated that their ’06 shenanigans did not put a nail in the coffin! They just hate having to stand on the sidelines and witness a resurrection of capable man and his success in spite of their misguided malice. Such a bitter pill to swallow.

Oh …And may your husband recover speedily!

8. Honest Abe 706 says:

John McCain was reared in the Episcopal Church. But I believe he currently worships in a Baptist church in northern Pheonix, AZ.

McCain has recently stated that most importantly, he is a Christian. He may not be the “conservative” that most Republicans would like to see as President — but I believe he is much better suited for the Presidency than his opponent.

9. Romegaguy says:

So McCain doesnt think honor and integrity are a part of Judeo-Christian principles… Must be thinking of Ralph

10. Game Fan says:

Spacey G
    Got the results back but I’m hesitant to put it out there. And this is from a European guy who didn’t even know who Ralph Reed was. Some of it seemed right on the mark. What should I do? I’ll give you one portion: “probably not fat. Not into sex or gluttony”.