Mixing Music And Politics

For those of you who just love to mash it all up, everything from music to politics to a friend’s bad video of a live show, this R.E.M. clip is for you. Georgia’s finest is currently on tour and they’ve got this fun site going where you can share your concert media. Gotta love it. And their politics too, of course. Although I should say “Stipe’s politics.” The other band members seem to have no political voice of their own. (Reminds me of a lot of marriages.) Maybe Mike Mills, for instance, could post a few homemade vids to the site himself. Hint, hint.

1. girl.esther says:

Mike Mills has doen several extremely lefty (socialist even?) political tours with Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine, Billy Bragg, Steve Earle and others.

Google “Tell Us the Truth Tour”.

2. Jas says:

Can’t wait to see them on 6/21 at Lakehood.

Hopefully Mike Mills can wear the vintage Gram Parsons weed-leaf laced Nudie Suit that he bought with, what at the time, was the largest record deal in history.

3. wmo says:

sadly, I can confirm that the flashy jackets have been retired for this tour in favor of an “all black” theme, as has ending the show with “End of the world as we know it”

4. SpaceyG says:

The only reason I blog is to one day make enough money to buy-up everything Gram Parsons ever touched, on eBay. Keep it out of the hands of lesser immortals. Was that the same Nudie suit with the cross on the back? Damn, if that wasn’t the pinnacle of rock ‘n roll coolness, then well, I’m…. uh…. really Rogue.

Gotta go get smelling salts now… I can’t believe I’m having a conversation on a homegrown political blog about Gram Parsons and Nudie suits and weed and, like, everything I love! Wow. If only we were also simultaneously talking about Jane Austen novels and Jesus and chocolate and sex and art and pools and Masterpiece Theater and Ralph Fiennes…. I’d just freakin’ pass out from bliss at that point I suppose. Best keep some things on the dl.

5. Jas says:

Yes, it was the same suit he wore on the cover of the Flying Burrito Brothers’ “Gilded Palace of Sin” album. Which is probably the one of the greatest album names ever.

I wear my vintage “Gream Parson and Fallen Angels” shirt religiously.

6. Jas says:

Correct, however my two favorite Gram songs, “Blue Eyes” and “Luxury Liner” came from his work with the International Submarine Band.

A great find, if you can get the record. I think my copy came from Criminal.

7. Game Fan says:

This is why they say musicians shouldn’t get involved in politics. I mean some of these guys have a point about pollution, war, poverty, ect… and it’s a good outlet too against the BS. But Obama?

8. SpaceyG says:

Of course how much people like/dislike hearing a movie star or artist-type get all political is directly proportional to how much they agree/disagree with the spouting artist’s politics.

9. drjay says:

isn’t it much more important that the racheal ray’s of the world are stopped before they do any more damage to this great nation…