Handel for Governor

I’m hearing that Karen Handel is getting broad based support across the state and from significant GOP players to make the leap in 2010 for Governor.

While I’d hate to lose her as Secretary of State, I think she’d be one heck of a Governor.

I like far too many of the people whose names have been mentioned, but if you put a gun to my head and made me pick, my car will would have a Karen Handel sticker on it for 2010. No disrespect for any one of the gentlemen running, but I’d have to be with the lady.

Besides, the GOP is going to need one competent female governor besides Sarah Palin to offset the fumes from Texas that is the campaign of Kay Bailey Hutchinson for Governor.

1. drjay says:

is she actually thinking about it–or is it being thrust upon her??? the idea of a melee for gop guv race is a little disconcerting to me…

2. AubieTurtle says:

I like Karen but someone needs to sit her down and explain a reality of women in politics: appearance counts. Over the past few years, she has really packed on the pounds. She needs to do a Huckabee, put down the sammiches, and get some exercise. She looked like a totally different person when she first joined the Fulton County Commission.

Yes, something like that shouldn’t matter and for men, a well taylored suit and our society’s double standard on these things makes it ok. Take a look around the country at female governors and senators. Not all of them are hotties but very few, if any of them look slobbish. Anyone who has seen Karen in person lately or in a non-official photo knows she has taken to wearing loose fitting “Ross: Dress for Less” type clothes.

Yes, as a country we are out of shape, and this is especially true for Southern states like Georgia. But just because the populous is fat doesn’t mean that they react to other fat people in a positive manner, especially females. We can talk all day about why this should be true, but it won’t change reality.

Do a Google Image search for “Karen Handel” and you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about.

3. Jane says:

I like Karen, BUT, she has little support outside Atlanta. She needs to stay as Secretary of state for a few more terms. Same with Casey. Both if they play thier cards right could be Governor or Senator some day, but not now. Karen stands well on one issue, that no one outside Atlanta cares about. Casey does not have an issue yet and being a brown noser for Purdue does not qaulify you for higher office.

4. SpaceyG says:

Oh for chrissake. I don’t even know where to begin here. Have you ever been to the Bubba Dome, AubieT? There are so many unattractive, fat, male politicians waddling around there that it’s worse than some North Georgia mall for sheer physical grossness. You can’t possibly think Karen Handel, of all highly competent people, shouldn’t run for Governor because she’s not hyper-sexy and 105 lbs and dressed up like she’s Carrie Bradshaw. UFB! Likely Handel’s put on a few because her schedule, doing PUBLIC service very well, is so crazy she can’t possibly fit in fitness.

Not that EVERYONE, male or female politicians included, shouldn’t make time for themselves with regular exercise and healthy eating, but to say Karen Handel is frumpy, which is what I believe you are trying to say, and thus couldn’t get elected is like saying Sonny Perdue was bald and unattractive and overweight and couldn’t get elected. It’s who raises the most money, not who looks like Cindy McCain.

Gawd how I hate double standards BS. Now where did I put that Jane Fonda aerobics tape from ’83…

5. AubieTurtle says:

Spacey, do you ever get tired of the candidates you back losing? I’m not advocating a position, I’m reporting reality. Being able to separate the two is essential to making the correct choices if one wants to win an election.

Have I been to the Bubba Dome? Yes, I’m quite aware of what male politicians look like. I stated right in my post that there is a DOUBLE STANDARD. That’s reality, no matter how much we wish we lived in a utopia where there was no double standard. If one ignores that reality, well, enjoy watching the game from the stands.

It’s like yard signs. They’re stupid. They tell you nothing of substance about a candidate but guess what? They work! As much as I hate them, if I was running a campaign, you’d better believe that I’d blanket the district with them. By the same measure, you can whine about it not being fair that fat bald white guys get elected while a few extra pounds on a female is a liability but that’s not going to magically make the double standard disappear. As I stated in my post that you decide to read and absorb only a small percentage of, if you look at the female politicians that have been successful at obtaining higher office, very few of them are of above average weight. It is unlikely that it is a coincidence.

As I’ve said in many threads before, do not mistake the presentation of a position with being an advocate for that position. Quite frankly, I’d much rather have someone who looked like Jabba the Hut with excellent governing skills to get elected over a piece of eye candy who is incompetent. But that doesn’t mean that because that’s my preference that I believe the masses will vote the same way. (and please note I’m not comparing Karen to Jabba the Hut… I’m picking extremes for the sake of argument)

BTW, do I get extra Peach Pundit points for causing SpaceyG to defend a Republican?

6. Annoyed Dawg says:

Is there any speculation about who will run as a Democrat? I’d like to see Jim Marlow run…

7. northside elephant says:

Karen Handel is effective. While the boys in the general assembly fight and posture Karen has stayed above the fray. You don’t hear too much from her because she’s been busy doing her job. She’s whipped the SOS office into shape. She implemented the new voter ID laws and personally ensured they went off smoothly.

Karen Handel is an experienced government executive; she’s also an experienced manager and reformer. Furthermore she’s a strong, consistent conservative. I’ll support her because I think she’ll be serious about fixing our 2 biggest challenges: attracting and retaining real businesses and fixing our embarrassing education system.

8. DMZDave says:

Erick, it’s Hutchison not Hutchinson. I’m guessing you don’t really know much about her. Kay, just like Karen, will do great things for her state. She may not be a great GOP governor but she will definitely be a great Texas governor.

9. Progressive Dem says:

Personally I’d prefer a college graduate. That leaves out Cagle and Handel. But hey, maybe electing either of these two is appropriate and fitting for a state with a 58% high school graduation rate.

10. A Typical White Person says:

Kathy Cox has 2 degrees, both from Emory University (the bastion of “progressive Dems”). What good do those degrees do the state of Georgia now?

11. debbie0040 says:

Spacey is right. There is a double standard in politics in regards to men and women.

Look at how often Hillary Clinton was criticized because of her fat ankles and the way she dressed and looked. How often have you heard the same thing said about male candidates?

If you are a strong, independent and outspoken women in politics, you are labeled as a bit** .

Many men have issues and are intimidated with these type of women that don’t fit their idea of a woman…

Progressive Dem, Bill Gates does not have a college degree and just look how successful he is…

12. drjay says:

“Hillary was criticzed because she publicly cried. How many male candidates faced the same criticism when they shed tears?”

actually a lot of people ay muskie looking like he was crying after nh in 72 derailed his prez campaign when he like illary was seen as quite the frontrunner at the time–and as i recall the flack hillary caught for crying was that everyone assumed that like her husband–who did shed tears to great effect–she was doing it for show and it was not genuine…but i do get you general point about the double standard for women in politics–and frankly probably most walks of life over appearance and weight and clothing and such…

13. Hortence says:

AubieTurtle your comments on KH are totally inappropriate and outside of the accepted normal discussion of politics.

Take your personal criticisms elsewhere.

14. drjay says:

back to my 1st post–some of us are well outside the perimeter and don’t always here the “buzz around town” is this something handel herself has been pondering or are we just pondering it for her???

15. Goldwater Conservative says:

If she runs I will petition her to resign her office as SoS. It is only ethical that the administrator of our elections process be removed from such a role when seeking “promotion.” Handel is worse than Katherine Harris and nobody should trust her not to tip the election in her favor. Same goes for Cathy Cox when she ran for gov.

Partisan affiliations aside, these are our elections and they must be conducted democratically. We do not live in some third world country. If we, as a nation, are going to continue making demands of despotic regimes in Asia, Africa and South America (and we rightfully should continue to do so) we must hold our own elections to higher standards.

16. drjay says:

“Handel is worse than Katherine Harris and nobody should trust her not to tip the election in her favor.”

i kinda agree w/ the 1st part about an SOS resigning to run for another seat–but i am puzzled about the phrase i quoted–worse in what way and what do you base this assertion on–i ask b/c i actually had quite a bit of interaction w/ her and her ofice last year during my recount and found the office to be professional, courteous and competent in my dealings w/ them even though my situation had a negative outcome from my point of view…

17. heroV says:

“Handel is worse than Katherine Harris…” What??? Also, Goldwater Conservative, good job of putting forth a few facts to support this statement.

18. jsm says:

“John Ox is the best possible choice for GA.”

SugarHill, I know you know better than that.

19. CobbGOPer says:

I’m pretty sure she was considering the Senate seat (as was everybody else) before Isakson said he was not running for Governor. It would make sense that she would at least take a look at the gubernatorial race as well. Haven’t heard that they’ve done any polling, but if so I’m sure her favorables are through the roof.

20. debbie0040 says:

For Chip Rogers and David Shafer to be considering running for Lt. Governor, Cagle must have decided to run for Governor.

It will be a very crowded field in 2010. …

21. heroV says:

debbie0040, how about Goldwater CONSERVATIVE’s statement that “Handel is worse than Katherine Harris.” Or is he not a Republican because he’s actually a conservative?

22. A Typical White Person says:

Hero,

GC is neither a Republican, ex-Republican or “conservative.”

He’s a fraud. Just like Bob Barr.

23. HankRearden says:

Mrs Handel is sure a nice lady but my first choice is Oxendine. Handel is second. Westmoreland is third.

24. Goldwater Conservative says:

I think the word conservative has been redefined by people that have no clue what they are talking about.

What Katherine Harris did was disgusting. Cox not resigning when she ran was bad as well. Handel has not made one decision for “the people” she has been working for the party. What good is our system if it is not free and fair? I prefer democrats being elected by the people than republicans being elected because the electoral system is fashioned in a manner that is favorable towards their target demographics.

25. drjay says:

“Handel has not made one decision for “the people” she has been working for the party.”

i’m sorry–i guess i’m simple, but you are really going to need to explain that a little further–what do you mean by that? are you referring to the voter id bill, or is there some something else that has your dander up that we should all be aware of? i’ve had to deal w/ her office on a number of fronts from simply renewing my dental license to the one vote election loss and its aftermath in november and found both she and her office to be professional, ethical and courteous…what is it that i do not know

26. A Typical White Person says:

When Katherine Harris was Secretary of State during that recount process, her ENTIRE legal team in that SoS office were DEMOCRATS.

So, GC, you’re either a fool or a liar regarding “Katherine Harris” being “evil.”

Her legal team of DEMOCRATS advised her on ALL of her actions during that recount process.

You’re a damn fool. And, you keep demonstrating that with every post.

27. Brian from Ellijay says:

What about Chip running for LG, who will run for his Senate seat?

Any guesses on Secretary of State?