Update on MARTA’s Soulja Girl

According to the AJC, Soulja Gal is getting some much needed help in a group home situation. Let’s hope our taxpayer dollars work their magic, but seems the most help was from the shaming powers of viral video, an interesting phenomenon no traditional media outlet has yet to report on:

The woman whose tirade against an elderly MARTA train passenger was caught on video has been released from jail and is living in a personal care home for the mentally ill.

“We’re not dealing with a criminal here,” (Derek) Gage (DeKalb County DA) said. “We’re dealing with someone who’s mentally ill and doesn’t have the services available to her that she should have available to her because she is indigent.”

At the personal care home, Ziyad will be monitored to be sure she stays on her medication, her lawyer said.

“She’s doing very well. She’s obviously extremely embarrassed about the fact that this video was so widely seen by so many people. But I think it’s also kind of become a stimulus for her to take a little more responsibility in her life,” Gage said.

Full story here.

1. heroV says:

I like having progressive/liberal voices on this site, and think there should be even more. But dang, Erick et al, why have you chosen the ones with nothing worth saying? I think it’s all part of the vast right wing conspiracy.

2. Rogue109 says:

“We’re not dealing with a criminal here,” (Derek) Gage (DeKalb County DA) said.

Derek Gage is an Assistant Public Defender, not the District Attorney of DeKalb County.

3. StevePerkins says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, Shep, but didn’t we cover this in Criminal Law last summer semester? It’s not criminal to TALK about “superman’ing that ho”… it’s only criminal if you DO “superman that ho”.

I still think they might have her on conspiracy to superman a ho, however.

4. Rogue109 says:

Correct me if I’m wrong…

Okay, you’re totally wrong, Steve Perkins.

Crack your Title 16 and look up Simple Assault, Disorderly Conduct and Use of Fighting Words. There is also the potential for Simple Battery with the guys that try and get her off the train and the potential for terroristic threats.

Feel better?

5. Rogue109 says:

LOL! Just curious, are you looking to stay in Atlanta after you graduate? Because with all your public ravings (not meaning that in a bad way), I’m curious if you think you’ll have trouble landing a gig with an IP firm?

6. StevePerkins says:

That’s not a bad question. With the current market, and with the competitiveness of the IP field in the best of times, I honestly have idea what the future will hold. Of course, as a computer science guy, I may not being doing “pure IP” in the sense of full-time patent prosecution. My resume is in-line with copyright / trade secrets, licensing, offshoring, and regulatory compliance (i.e. Sarbanes, HIPAA, etc). We’ll just have to see.

At the same time, I’m fairly articulate and civil on blogs 99% of the time, and law students are pretty much expected to have strong political opinions while they’re in school (even if they learn to shut up more once they’re in the workplace). Anyone who would otherwise have hired me, but changes their mind after digging up some years-old wisecrack on Peach Pundit of all things, might ultimately be doing both of us a favor.

Do you ever worry that your future in criminal law might be hampered by some of your “fry em’ all!” rants, and calling out local judges by name?

7. Rogue109 says:

Yeah, that was the question I was raising. Interesting perspective…hope it works out for you!

Uh, no! Because I do not have “fry em’ all!” rants and, also, because I do not file appearances under the moniker “Rogue109.” See, that isn’t actually my name (grin).

8. SecretIdentity-NotStevePerkins says:

Good idea, I’ll have to start doing that. Err, I mean… Steve Perkins ought to start doing that.

9. shep1975 says:

Interesting hypo Perkins, but given my current class load, I can’t decide if she should be deported or wonder the elderly woman she verbally threaten to “superman” would have died testate or intestate if Soulja had actually “supermanned” her.

10. SecretIdentity-NotStevePerkins says:

Well, there’s always the impossibility doctrine as a general defense in criminal law. As I understand the concept of “supermanning”, it appears to be an empty threat coming from a female antagonist. If I’m missing something, I really don’t want to know!