Tommie Williams Wants Some Order

The Majority Leader wants to shut down the desires of a bunch of senators to run for Lieutenant Governor.

A number of state senators are looking at a possible run for lieutenant governor in 2010, assuming that the current occupant of that post – Casey Cagle – runs for governor. But Senate Majority Leader Tommie Williams says he hopes the GOP caucus will unify behind one candidate and the others will forego the race.

“My position is, we only need one guy from the Senate running for the position,” he said in an interview Tuesday. “They need to come together and decide who that’s going to be so we don’t have a divided caucus.”

This sounds to me like he is not interested in running. Actually, come to think of it, several senators have told me that Senator Williams is not inclined to run again after this next term.

Thus far, I think, the rumors are Chip Rogers, Eric Johnson, and Cecil Staton. I dunno who else.

1. Romegaguy says:

The story linked says Williams is interested in the President pro temp job.

Also says that Shafer and Seabough interested in Lt Gov gig

2. drjay says:

should he decide to run senator EJ is the obvious choice since he was the de facto ltguv from 03 to 06 –he has been saying 08 is his last run for his senate seat for a while now–from what i know of the other guys, they are good too, but EJ is my fave–and one of my favorite politicians overall anyway

3. steelfist says:

Tommie Williams has been promised the President Pro Temp job by Eric Johnson and that is why he is trying to float the Majority Leader’s job to Chip Rogers to keep him from running against Johnson.

4. Bill Simon says:

Yes, I myself can hardly wait for the crap that comes out of ej’s mouth in his run for LG. The last 4 years have been MOST amusing.

5. Dawgfan says:

I don’t think Sen. Johnson is interested in statewide office. Like someone said he is de facto Lt Guv anyway. Why take the risk of running statewide. Shafer is a good politician (and I mean that as a compliment) but not a very attractive candidate. I think Tommie Williams would be a much better candidate if he chose to run.

6. Chris says:

Shafer and Rogers are two of the few actual statesmen we have in the General Assembly. Shafer has a large statewide network, and will make an excellent candidate.

7. Gag Halfrunt says:

The question is not whether Eric Johnson is interested in statewide office but whether he will answer his party’s call in a time of need. With Sonny Perdue term-limited, there is a dearth of talent capable of promoting self-interest over community interest.

Eric demonstrated first rate leadership skills in the Fred Thompson presidential campaign and then the Mitt Romney campaign. Who can forget the valiant fight to keep Genarlow Wilson behind bars? Or the courage it took for Johnson, co-chair of the ethics committee, to summarily dismiss ridiculous charges that Glenn Richardson was having an improper relationship with a lobbyist? (To be fair, this was before the secret, quickie divorce.)

All this without a statewide pulpit! Johnson doesn’t need state office, but the state needs him.

8. birdfan says:

Rogers is the man for the job.

He has the ability to see issues and solutions…before others even recognize them (ie. Illegal Immigration, Dog Fighting, Fiscal solutions)…and gets things done!

He is a solid conservative leader and would be great as the Lt. Gov. for GA!

9. Mountain Republican says:

Tommie Williams knows how to be a leader. There are 5-7 excellent choices, but if they all run against each other, everyone but the winner will lose. It is smart to discuss the available opportunities and be on the same page as much as possible. Otherwise, we could be looking at Lt. Governor Nan Orrock, Majority Leader Steve Henson and Speaker Pro Temp Vincent Fort.

10. Had Enough says:

Gag (aka Eric or Dave Simmons), don’t make us gag.

This is a guy who was such a strong leader that his own caucus booted him from having any real authority as soon as Cagle won (note a guy they had defeated for Majority Leader just a couple of years before).

I can count on one hand the number of Senators (you know, the people who have to work with that windbag day in and day out) who would actually endorse Eric.

Eric Johnson is the posterchild of what’s wrong with the Georgia Republican Majority.

11. drjay says:

i think if you read gag’s post, it is pretty obvious he was being facetious–and i think it was the natural order of things to give the ltguv back the ltguv’s job once he was of the same party as the majority–EJ was doing that job from the front row w/ a staff of 2 compared to actually having all of the vestiges of the office available to him–and he did not become pro tem in the 1st place due to a lack of leadership skills

12. Had Enough says:

Fair enough drjay, i read it on the fly.

and now, i must say that gag is making my point.

eric got his leadership slot way back cuz no one else wanted the job and lost all credibility with his own team after his heavy handed and obnoxious rule as pro temp under taylor.

now he hands out parking spots. fitting.

he’s a contributing symptom of the disease infecting the GOP. get rid of him.

13. Bull Moose says:

Just finally sitting down to type out my message on here after reading it and following this thread all day… Very interesting.

I think that voters are tired of backroom deals being made to select their candidates. If the Caucus tries to unite behind one candidate, you can expect that person to be tagged as the representative of the status quo.

I expect that the sentiments felt in 2008 will finally be felt loudly in Georgia in 2010 and I’m not sure that it’s going to be a status quo election cycle.

There are good candidates being talked about for running for LT GOV, but remember folks, we have to do well in our state in 2008 FIRST. That means, John McCain must carry Georgia and do so by a convincing margin.

What’s more interesting to me are the domino effects of what happens in 2010.

Down in my neck of the woods, Eric Johnson has said he may run for LT GOV, but has all but indicated he will not run for reelection. In the race to take his place I’d say it’s wide open.

Businessman Steve Croy would have to be on the list of people considering this race and given his background, experience, and fundraising prowess, Croy would have to be seen as the man to watch in this seat.

I think the trend of voters looking for something different from just promoting politicians is going to be a theme that sticks in GA for at least another cycle or 2 and Croy would bring the right mojo to this effort.

In some of the other areas, some of our state’s best and brightest may find the door of opportunity opens up for them further with the changing of the guard.