1. drjay says:

i think its a bit of an overstatement to say they “suck” as it is–it was a little ambitious to rely on glavine and smoltz as big time pitchers this year–but hudson is close to allstar form–the plan was to move smoltz back to the bullpen after he rehabbed–but the shoulder apparently won’t tolerate it–they are quite good at home–but flat out awful in one run games–which underlines the weakness thy have in the pen –chiiper is having an mvp year thus far and still batting over .400 and its june already…they will likely be competitive for the rest of the year and do have a decent shot at the wildcard or even winning the east if the others teams stay inconsistent as well…

2. Jessica says:

It will suck a little. His record this year ain’t so great (3-2), but he has a 2.57 ERA which is nothing to sneeze at. I hope he doesn’t retire because of this; he’s always been my favorite of the big 4 (then big 3… then just Smoltz). I hate seeing Glavine back in a Braves uniform, FWIW. He could take his 4+ ERA back to the Mets and die of old age for all I care. traitor.

3. Icarus says:

I don’t keep up with the Braves much either, but maybe Murphy and Horner’s bats can keep the offense going while this young pitcher gets his arm fixed.

4. Jozef says:

I used to keep up with the Braves much more when they were still on TV. How comes that only about a third of the Braves games is on TV these days?

5. Tea Party says:

Atlanta has always been a ‘fair-weather’ friend of the Braves. When they are winning, our support swells, when not, it reverts back to the same great group of folks that LOVE thier HOME team because they get out there and play good ball.

We have a wonderful venue for the Braves and it is a hoot to just go eraly in the season and watch them play.

GO BRAVES

6. Icarus says:

Do they serve beer in the stadium on Sundays there?

Glad to know I’m not the only one old enough to remember Murphy, Horner, and Neikro.

7. drjay says:

i’m sorry who??? i thought 91 was the 1st year they played big league ball in atl…

8. jsm says:

Hey, Ic. I remember people like Claudell Washington, Bob Horner, and Rafael Ramirez the most, because they were who we heard about when I was just getting old enough to pay attention to baseball. We stunk, but it was still fun to go out to Fulton County Stadium and see Chief Knockahoma. Those were the days.

9. Jessica says:

10. A Typical White Person says:

Jessica, if so, they will be the most electronically wired old-fogies in the home.

11. Howard Roark says:

Baseball is a spectator sport (for the players). I gave up on the Braves and baseball when they went on strike the first time. I never watch baseball anymore.

12. jsm says:

“dang, y’all are making yourselves sound like you’re just short of the retirement home.”

Come on. My 75-yr-old pastor talks about going to a Crackers tryout once. Now that’s retirement home talk.

We’re only talking about the 80’s, when Joe Torre was OUR coach. We could have used him in our dugout in the 90’s. How about the Mad Hungarian? Now THAT was entertaining baseball. 🙂

I agree with Roark, though. I lost a lot of interest in MLB due to the strike.

13. drjay says:

nevermind–they were swept by the phils this weekend and have the worst road record in baseball–even worse than the mariners w/ the worst overall record in either league