Hillary Supporters for McCain?

From the LA Times (and lots of other places):

In exit polls throughout the just-concluded primary season, an unusually high number of Clinton voters indicated they were likely to reject Obama and vote for the Republican Party’s presumptive nominee, Sen. John McCain of Arizona.

Ok, I’m really curious. Given the gulf of differences between the Democrats and McCain, why would a Hillary supporter support McCain over Obama? Is there a fundamental difference in policy I, as a Republican, just don’t see? Or is this just a case of supporters being upset that their candidate lost?

2006 had dire warnings that Reed supporters wouldn’t support Cagle in the general election, and all that talk failed to give Martin a win or the Libertarian an appreciably higher vote total.

The only argument I could see on the Democrat’s side – and one that I adopted (after 2004) as a cynical and pissed-off Republican – is that I’d rather see the opposition control the White House than have a total embarrassment as leader of my party1. Obama hasn’t completed half of his first term as Senator and is a relative lightweight when it comes to national political experience.

So to any Hillary supporters out there, why would you vote for McCain in November? You can email me if you’d rather your name not appear.

1) I don’t believe McCain will be an embarrassment anywhere near the level that President Bush currently is.

1. SpaceyG says:

This little Hillary to McCain problem could be alleviated a great deal when Obama chooses either Sam Nunn or Jim Webb as running mate.

2. StevePerkins says:

I never saw a shred of real policy difference between Hillary and Barack. Judging from the commentary on TV, talk radio, and left-wing blogs… the “division” in the Democratic Party has been between those who see it as more “historic” for an old white woman to be nominated, versus those who see it as more “historic” to nominate a young black man.

I don’t see how either of those two groups would end up siding with the Republicans. They might not necessarily vote “for” Obama, but they have five full months to realize they’re voting “against” McCain (honestly, when was the last time that two-party supporters actually DID vote for their guy vs. against the other guy?). An Obama-Hillary ticket would provide little benefit within the Democratic ranks, but would turn off swing voters who aren’t so big on the “historic” aspect either way. Don’t get me wrong… it’d certainly be a “dream team” from where I’m standing!

3. Dawgfan says:

At first I thought it was folly to think that Hillary voters would cross over to vote for McCain because their candidate was roughly treated in the primary, but there may be a precedent. I’m not saying it is an exact match but what about the Taylor / Cox primary. In the general election Mark Taylor got less than 40% of the vote For the nominee of the party that had elected every governor except one since Reconstruction to get less than 40% of the vote obviously Cox voters either stayed home or crossed over. Who would have thought that?

I’m still skeptical, but I thought I’d throw it out there for discussion.

4. Randy Lewis says:

Dems are very different from Repubs. The divisions within the party are extremely deep and a simple policy difference merits a fight to the death or mutually assured destruction rather than a normal shrug of the shoulders.

Try to be a Dem who supports school vouchers. They will gang up on you in a dark alley and slice you like cheese — and I’m talking about the school teachers who are Dems. The non-teachers deliver a bullet to the brain. Remember Ted’s challenge to Carter in 1980? Many of the Ted Dems went to third-party Anderson, who took Carter’s margin of victory in about 8 states.

Dems are a little crazy. They are mean – and they always get even — especially with themselves.

5. John Konop says:

This is just a guess. I can hear Spacey now!

Helen Reddy – I Am Woman 1972
    Helen Reddy hit single “I Am Woman” back in 1972.Go Helen & women everywhere….Helen Reddy female artist Australian woman music video

6. Goldwater Conservative says:

The Hillary supporters are not going to vote for John McCain.

Ideologically they do not align…and while the Clinton supporters are busy be all butt-hurt over not winning, come election day they will have to decide: “Can I trust John McCain to represent me when he makes (X) decision?”
    Heck NO.

On top of that, I am fairly certain that a good number of those “I was a clinton supporter, now i am a mccain supporter” morons were mccain supporters trying to create a band wagon.

7. shep1975 says:

I’m just glad it’s over. I’ve been sitting here on pins and needles wondering if for the next 6 months I would be referred to as a “sexist” or “racist.” Good to know it will be “racist” until November. Being that we nominated the old guy (and even if the Ron Paul people find some way to get their guy in it will still be the old guy) I get to counter with unfounded claims of “ageism” in response. Only 155 days left!

8. Romegaguy says:

Most of the Hillary people will come along just like most of Phuckabee’s supporters will support McCain

9. jttraino says:

Chris,

I think you overlook one big part of why people vote. Unfortunately, many people don’t vote because they agree with a candidate’s policy. They vote because they “like” that person, they are “inspired” by that person, that person is more like them, or they think that person will win.

These aren’t good reasons to vote for someone, but they are often the reasons.

A great example of this is that best question you can ask any Obama supporter… “What has Senator Obama accomplished that shows you he can do the things you think he will do.”

There is no answer to that other than “He gave a good speech” or “He ran a good campaign” or “He wrote a great book”. But, the same person who can’t answer that question will gladly vote for someone who hasn’t proven his ability to actually get something done.

So, while someone may believe the same things that Senator Obama espouses, that same person might vote for Senator McCain for reasons other than policy.

John

10. Bill Greene says:

C’mon, Chris, you know why.

In 2001, McCain was seriously considering leaving the GOP.

In 2004, he was considering being Kerry’s running mate.

Why wouldn’t Hillary supporters vote for him?

In an interview yesterday, McCain was asked what it would take to win. Paraphrase: “I need to convince the Democrats to vote for me.”

Not, “I need to convince the base of my own party [sic] that I’m really a Republican after all.”

Not, “I need to try to hold together the conservative Reagan coalition.”

No. “I need to convince the Democrats to vote for me.”

That’s why the beginning of McCain’s speech last night (the worst speech I’ve ever heard, by the way) was a french-kissing love-fest for Hillary. Puh-leeze.

I fear for my party.

11. Bill Simon says:

YOUR “party?”

Sorry, most of the members of “our” party pay the registration fees without balking, bullshi*ting, or lying about their “pauper status.”

Putz.

12. Bill Greene says:

YOUR party is the RINO party, B.S. You wouldn’t know Republican principles if they shook your hand at a Log Cabin Republicans meeting.

You’re an idiot, Bill Simon. Try to say something worthwhile, at least now and then.

13. Chris says:

I seem to recall a large portion of Reagan’s coalition consisting of a group called “Reagan Democrats”.

I don’t blame John McCain for reaching out to them. Makes good political sense.

I also don’t blame John McCain for (if this is actually true) looking to leave the GOP in 2001 or 2004 given how mis-managed the party, the war, and the budget were under Bush/Frist/Hastert.

14. Bill Simon says:

Bill G.,

You sure got your head wrapped all around the “Log Cabin Republicans,” doncha?

I wonder why that is. Do you regularly get hardons when you think of “Log Cabin Republicans?”

When are you and HankRearden and the other idiot…”Jimbo” going to come out of your closets?

15. Bill Greene says:

Chris, you know as well as anybody that “Reagan Democrats” are NOT what were are talking about here.

McCain is chasing them AWAY from our party – he’s not reaching out to them, he reaching out to Hillary-heads.

And threatening to leave the GOP is one thing. But threatening to leave in order to hold hands with the likes of John Kerry — c’mon, dude.

Stop drinking the kool-aid, Chris. 🙂

16. Bill Simon says:

Bill G,

Because I’m more of a Goldwater Conservative…which, I realize, to YOU, that is a “RINO” ’cause Goldwater was more into things like fiscal conservatism and he didn’t go wringing his hands about “gays” or “abortion” or any number of the religious concepts people like YOU want to jam down the throats of the electorate with your Constitutional Party bullsh*t.

17. Bill Greene says:

B.S., you wouldn’t know a Goldwater Conservative if you swallowed one.

Goldwater Conservatives started Young Americans for Freedom, and Eagle Forum, and the New Right, and the Reagan Revolution. Many of them are good friends of mine, though they’re really getting up there in years now.

YOU, B.S., are NO Goldwater Conservative. Give it up.

18. Bill Simon says:

Bill G.,

Excerpting from your former website for Congress, I have this statement: “I favor the Federal marriage amendment that would seal the loophole of state decisions and the “full faith and credit” clause in the Constitution.”

“Seal the loophole of state decisions?”

Wow, Bill..so, you don’t want the states to have the right to decide for themselves. Sounds like to me that YOU are a big proponent of the federal government dictating to the states exactly how to operate.

If you want to be able to decide who gets “married”, then you need to work on the concept of getting the state OUT of the business of issuing “marriage licenses.”

If you remove the influence that government now has over marriage (via a “license” and a blood test), then marriage can go back to being a religious-based activity.

And then, each religion can dictate who can get married, NOT the “federal government” which is what YOU want to impose on everyone.

If, of course, you truly are a constitutional (that’s with a small “c”, Bill) scholar. I doubt you are. By your platform, you want to use the force of the federal government to DEMAND everyone follows your edicts.

19. shep1975 says:

Erick,

can we have a Bill Simon, Bill Greene debate thread where they can just go after each other, no holds barred, and then if they start on these other topics we can send them to their own thread?

20. Goldwater Conservative says:

After Clinton endorses Obama on Saturday, most of the wounds will be healed. Atleast Obama did not attack Clinton like Mark Taylor attacked Cathy Cox. There may be a very small group of conservative democrats that happened to support Hillary and might vote for McCain…just like there is a number of progressive republicans that supported other gop candidates but will vote for Obama.
    We do not have a “responsible party system,” our system allows for innovation and flexibility, regardless of how looked down upon the practice may be in times of hyperpartisanship.

21. shep1975 says:

I’m not bored. I just think it would be more exciting to have it all in one place!! 🙂 Kinda like if Comcast had a channel that only showed Georgia’s football victories over Tech over the years. All the good stuff, all in one place!

22. Bill Greene says:

B.S.,

Get real, you maroon. If you knew ANYTHING about the Constitution, you’d know what I was talking about, and that I was pushing FOR states’ rights. Article IV, Section 1 makes it clear that, if Massachusetts or California or New Jersey declare that homosexuals can get married, Georgia is required to recognize and accept those “marriages” as actual. Thus, the only way to ensure the rights of individual states like Georgia on this issue, it looks like a constitutional amendment is the only way to keep states from being required to recognize those “marriages.”

DOMA is simply inadequate to protect states’ rights on this issue, and Congress seems rather unwilling to pass the better solution of a bill like the Marriage Protection Act (H.R. 724), which would ensure federal courts would not undermine any state laws regulating marriage by forcing a state to recognize same-sex marriage licenses issued in another state (thus ensuring that the authority to regulate marriage remains with individual states and communities, as the drafters of the Constitution intended). Our Reps. are either too daft or too wimpy to pass this bill, so yes, an amendment looks necessary to protect the rights of individual states against the encroachment of judicial activists (like in MA and CA).

I understand that these words are probably too big for you, B.S. But maybe you can get a “friend” to explain them to you.

And why is it you keep harping on the issue of gay marriage, anyway? Hmmmm?

23. Bill Simon says:

Bill G,

Because I know it is one of those top 2 issues that causes people like you to get into a fit about.

The first issue being abortion.

24. ImaDem says:

I’m not voting for Obama or McCain. I’m doing a Write-In for Hillary. The perfect ticket at this time would be McCain/Hillary but we all know it’s impossible……

25. Chris says:

Its quite fun to watch – one moment I find myself agreeing with Bill, and the next Bill makes a valid point against Bill.

I find myself agreeing with Bill S. most recently, but I’d like for him to touch a bit more on what rights state do and don’t have.

For example, we got into a bit of a dust-up a few years back over the right of states to allow its citizens keep people of African descent in slavery. Those in the north called for Federal action to stop the practice. Those in the south felt it was their state’s right to decide if humans could be kept in some of the most abysmal conditions known to man.

I for one, don’t believe it is the state’s right to decide who (of legal age) can enter into contract with another, nor do I believe it is a state’s right to decide what is for all intensive purposes a religious matter – the sacrament of marriage.

The full faith and credit clause should require Georgia to honor civil contracts created in the state of New York, much like that same clause should permit me to use my CCW to carry a pistol in NYC.

26. Bill Greene says:

shep, then you haven’t been paying attention.

Every time B.S. throws out one of his repetitive (and expletive) rants, “demanding” to know about this, that and the other thing, he is answered and shown to be an A-1 idiot who knows absolutely nothing about anything he’s talking about (unless he’s talking about the Log Cabin Republicans).

He then follows up by… not following up. That is, he refuses to address the actual issues that were being discussed, and instead either (a) tries to change to a new rant, or (b) tries to use the foulest language he can think of to call people names, thus diverting attention from the fact that he was just proven to be an idiot.

I wish he’d get a job, or a clue, or a life, but I doubt that will happen any time soon.

Actually, I feel kinda sorry for him. You should too. Sad, really.

27. Bill Simon says:

Chris,

FYI in your post that said “nor do I believe it is a state’s right to decide what is for all intensive purposes a religious matter – the sacrament of marriage”…

It is not “intensive purposes” but intents and purposes.

AND, I agree with you. Too bad Bill “I’m Really A Mole For The Federal Bureaucracy” Greene still wants the state/federal government to regulate the personal lives and religious practices that people choose to engage in.

28. Bill Simon says:

Bill G.,

Other people can follow me just fine. Shep has me at 7-2 points above you..and HE’S a UGA grad!

If it is the use of what you determine to be “expletives” that bothers you, then you’re worrying about the wrong things in life.

Expletives are just words, Bill. The intents and purposes of religious whackjobs like you spell more trouble for this country than ANY “expletive” I could come up with.

AND, it is due to your fellow religious idiots like George W. Bush that the concept of “fiscal conservatism” was dropped at the prospect of re-making this country according to the goals of the Christian Coalition.

If you don’t like the people in power now, it was YOU who got them there because of YOUR intents and purposes. Don’t go throwing the accusation that everyone who doesn’t see things YOUR way is a “RINO.” It is exactly because of people like you that the Republican Party is in the position it is in.

Don’t you go shirking your responsibility for your decisions on who to vote for.

29. Bill Greene says:

See? B.S. can’t stand the heat of the actual issues we were discussion, so he takes off his frilly apron and gets out of the kitchen of reality, running into the water closet of inanity, as usual.

The GOP is like it is because of RINOs (like you) and neo-conservatives (like Bush). Hopefully, the infusion of fresh, new conservatives that we’ve seen this year (and that the GOP leadership has done everything it could to slap down, to no avail) will be able to save the party over the next 4-12 years. Otherwise, my party is sunk for the foreseeable future.

You know what becomes more and more obvious as you keep running your mouth, B.S.? You don’t have a CLUE what I think or believe, even though I’ve been spelling it out to you over and over again. What an idiot.

30. Bill Simon says:

(by the way, I appreciate being recognized for having SO much influence on the state of the GOP today…really…)

What a f*cking moron you are, Bill G.

31. shep1975 says:

Well, it does help Bill S. that you got 3 bonus points for being a Cobb resident whill Bill G. lost 2 for living in Gwinnett. However, when you consider I had to deduct 10% from your score since you are in fact a Tech grad, you would have been doing better if you had gone to school at say, Chattahoochee Tech. The bright side is you automatically get a .25 bonus per point awarded for having been born on my birthday. I know my scoring system is complicated, but in retrospect, it is MUCH easier to understand than the BCS.

32. Bill Greene says:

B.S., for you to think that just shows what an idiot you really are. And I see that, once again, all you can do — instead of debate real issues — is descend into juvenile expletives.

You really are a sad little boy, B.S. Sad. Little. Boy.

33. jsm says:

Back to the subject of this thread… If McCain reminds voters in late October of Obama’s connections to and close friendships with numerous terrorists and America-haters, McCain will win big and will attract lots of Hillary lovers. I’ve already mentioned somewhere on PP about my die-hard democrat aunt who told me she will be voting for McCain over Obama. That’s pretty convincing to me.

34. Bill Greene says:

Yeah, my die-hard Democrat mom made it very clear that there’s NO WAY she’d ever vote for Obama.

Of course, then she said that the rest of them weren’t any good either, and she didn’t know WHO to vote for.

Then again, there’s a lot of conservatives saying the same thing. I’m not saying anything, I’m just sayin’.

35. Harry says:

The issue with Hillary supporters is not will they vote for McCain, but will they bother to vote for Obama?

36. nobama says:

Just as the nobamas claim that nobama is NOT as all his associates and his wife are, racist, hypocrits. Wright, Michelle Robinson Princeton Thesis, Tony, etc…then by the SAME measure, we regret to inform you that McCain is not like Bush.
    The audacity to hope all of America is simple minded as to believe the spewings of the false god.
    Get over yourselves.
    The independant party has had a FLOOD of new registrations from the former Democrats, MEN and women, old and YOUNG, EDUCATED.
    Not too happy to have an election stolen by their own party.
    And in the words of the arroggant one, you call him obama,
    YES WE CAN
    and to steal lines as the arrogant one does,
    We have a Dream!
    Hillcrats 4 McCain 08
    MCCain President in 2008
    Madam President Hillary Clinton in 2012.

37. GOP Girl says:

El Rushbo said that McCain is not letting anyone ride on his coattails b/c he wants to be thought of a an “independent” – neither GOP or Dem……

Ugh.

38. Annoyed Dawg says:

Okay, correct me if I’m wrong, but a candidate for president has coattails whether he likes it or not, yes? More people show up to the polls by virtue of it being a presidential election year. If more people show up to vote with McCain, they’d be likely to vote for other Republicans, too. If more people show up to vote for Obama, they’d be likely to vote for other Democrats.

I can’t imagine a candidate trying to dictate his coattails. How strange.

39. BubbaRich says:

nobama,

Your spelling is so bad I must assume you are an undercover redneck dixiecrat republican. I know a few Clinton supporters, but they can spell better, and they aren’t racist idiots.

for you others:

McCain can’t identify himself too strongly as a Republican, because most of the people in this country hate the Republicans. This will weaken his coattails, since he’s not out there selling the brand with his campaign.

40. sgreen says:

All Hillary Clinton Supporters should be voting for McCain. If McCain wins the election, Hillary could run for president again in 2012 against McCain and stop his second term of office. If Obama wins, Hillarys chance to run for president wont come till 2016. If Obama wins a second term, the nation may be ready for a “Change” and not want to elect another democrat after 8 years. Even if a republican defeats him in 2012, she still wouldn’t have a chance till 2016.