Jim Martin’s Website

It’s up.

I really like his new “M” logo. that’s well done, but I wonder how many people will see the stars on the left at the diagonal and think of the stars and bars.

I think he needs to make it clearer on the front page how to get in to the home page, but once at home, it is a very clean site. I like the nontraditional color scheme that keeps blue and red, but does it nicely with some beige thrown in.

It looks very bloggy.

One practical thing I would change comes from the “You can . . .” box on the right.

You can (1) stay informed; (2) spread the word; (3) volunteer; (4) register to vote.

Where is “donate”?

I realize there is a contribute link, but your eye is naturally drawn to the “you can . . .” box. Donate should be there.

1. SpaceyG says:

You can dress-up a geeky looking guy in all the cute Internet trappings you can think of, or pay some political consultant type good money just to slap-up one of those ubiquitous, political template-y sites, Martin’s is little different, but a dopey looking geek is still just that. All that’s missing on the homepage is the pocket protector.

2. Doug Deal says:

It looks different, yet not too different, which is a good thing. The one thing that I would change is to move the “blog” link from the first column to something near the end.

People come to the web site to find out about Martin, to find out where he will be, what he supports and to donate. Most people do not go to a web site to blog, and if they do, they will search for the link.

I think that I would also change the “Act” link to “Volunteer”. The link is about volunteering, so it should be labeled like 99.99 percent of all the other links to volunteer are labeled. There is a well known rule in web design that users spend virtually all of their time online visiting some other person’s web site. Because of that, your web site should not require a learning curve. Interstingly, the link is labeled “Volunteer” on the left list of links.

3. Goldwater Conservative says:

I agree with Doug.

The wood grain in the backgroung, if I may mention, gives me a warm feeling inside.

4. Goldwater Conservative says:

the layout on Lanier’s website looks great. He is still a loser though.

5. HankRearden says:

Wow I agree with Spacey. Never thought I would. Can someone get Martin to wash and cut his hair? Dood needs a make over.

6. I recall the early days of PeachPundit when I commented on the design of Gary Black’s logo in his campaign for Ag Commish. I was asked to come over to someone’s house and redecorate. (PS: Eff you, whoever you were).

Anyway, call me old school, but campaign websites are worthless. Jim has a nice site and a cool logo (which I am stealing as soon as I can) but how many votes will it get him? That’s the over/under on everything related to a political campaign. Everything else is window dressing.

7. SpaceyG says:

Dewberry: I like it, but I like things heavy on the text. What people like to do on websites is click-on pictures and video. Can’t ever have too much of that stuff. Make a short YouTube video and put it on there when you get a sec.

A website will give people info, and a window into what you’re all about as a person. The best way to use one, since you obviously put a lot of work into, is to keep using it!

Update it everyday, send notices to your email base about something new that you’ve put there, a video, etc. Use Facebook and Twitter and other social media tools to promote something new you’ve put on the site. Start a blog!

Remember, a website can be a boring static page that does not much of anything, or it can be a dynamic, interesting place to visit. Just depends on what kind of time investment you want to make in it. Consider it a homebase for all the other social media tools you can use to compliment it. And promote it, and thus you. Thus more people will engage with your campaign online.

People who are engaged online are likely to be the kind of people who are motivated to be engaged in plenty of other activities… such as voting!

8. Romegaguy says:

Careful taking advice from Spacey. She still thinks the Georgia Gang is a great show and the Matt Towery is sexy

9. Bill Simon says:

Mike Hassinger,

Just how OLD a “political school” do you hail from? Is that the school that puts loudspeakers on a rambling truck with signs on either side blaring-out the candidate’s name as it drives by?

A website is just an updated version of that, ya know. 😉

10. Umm, not really, Bill. Nobody ever called a candidate at midnight to tell him or her of a typo in the loudspeakers on a truck. Nobody ran up to the truck to ask a lengthy, detailed policy question, and then wanted to argue with the answer. I would imagine that not too many candidates ever used a loudspeaker truck to raise money, either, though it’s theoretically possible.

But all of those things can happen on a website. Worse, they can all combine to eat up a candidate’s time and money, and they get seen by ???% of potential voters.

While they ARE becoming more important, but websites are neither fish nor fowl in a political campaign. Much, much bigger than a 30-second TV spot, but too narrow to raise a lot of name ID. And you can’t draw the line from website to votes, not in any way that I’ve seen, yet.

That’s what I meant. And my school is younger than yours!

11. Bill Simon says:

If you turn your neck to the left a little ways, you might see the Obama Online Army, which was built by the guy who developed Facebook.

As far as eating-up time and money and generating votes, I’ve seen campaigns that dump thousands into signs and mails…and not generate enough votes to win.

The Website is needed to just put a billboard of the candidate where some voters might travel. In close races, if it is not there, it COULD mean a loss…who knows?

But, one thing I do know…merely relying on voters to take the time to painstakingly read every piece of flat, glossy mail piece sent to their mailbox won’t always do the trick.